Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #1
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Steelers future defense?

I've been thinking about this since the D started coming apart.
What if tomlin is over riding Lebeau's calls and that's what's not working?It sure hasn't looked much like his D style lately.

We all are wondering why Ziggy isn't playing much.
What if Tomlin is leaning toward trying the 4-3 and he doesn't want to confuse Ziggy with the 3-4?
If this is the case does Lebeau retire? (I sure hope not)
Come draft time next year if they start off drafting a D lineman we'll know.
We need help everywhere but secondary IMHO is where we should start.
Next is a cover safety and then O line and D line.

The problem is we're old on the D line.
Why am I bringing this up now? Time on my hands I guess but I'd also like to hear what everyone else is thinking.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Steelers future defense?

Our D is getting older, come draft time I would like to see them take the best available defensive player from the following positions S DL or LB.
As for Hood, it takes time for rookies to lay in Lebeau's system. I don't think this is an indication of whether we are going 4-3 or staying 3-4.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Honestly,

that doesn't make much sense at all.

Cowher used to override LeBeau often. Matter of fact, if you look closely, the setups have become more exotic since Tomlin has become coach.

And um, Ziggy is playing quite a bit. he is sharing time, like a rookie in our defense should.

This is looking EXACTLY like LeBeau's defense. I am amazed how much people forget 2006 and the second half of 2007.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

If Tomlin forces Lebau to retire i will have to murder tomlin. Lebeau is God of all co-ordinators, why would tomlin make him leave, id rather learn from lebeau imo...
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
This is looking EXACTLY like LeBeau's defense. I am amazed how much people forget 2006 and the second half of 2007.
Its a different defense when key cogs are out. Also, IMHO, the league seems to be "on to" the LeBeau defense more than in the past.. There are common elements to the 4Q meltdowns ranging back to the 4Q of SBXIII. That Fitz TD down the middle was designed to take advantage of our scheme. It was a brilliant play that I think folks have learned from.

In these meltdowns it seems like teams are sandbagging us for three quarters then pouncing. GB came out and went after us from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
If Tomlin forces Lebau to retire i will have to murder tomlin.
Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
If Tomlin forces Lebau to retire i will have to murder tomlin. Lebeau is God of all co-ordinators, why would tomlin make him leave, id rather learn from lebeau imo...
The human ego is a fragile thing. Especially the male ego. As one matures, the ego has less bearing on decisions.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

4-3 defenses are hard to build and maintain. There's only so many top-flight linemen to go around and they're very expensive.

3-4s are a lot more flexible and less prone to the injury bug. You can use college 4-3 guys who aren't quite beefy enough for the pros and plug 'em in.

I don't know what Tomlin's thoughts are, but if it were up to me I'd keep the 3-4.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
4-3 defenses are hard to build and maintain. There's only so many top-flight linemen to go around and they're very expensive.

3-4s are a lot more flexible and less prone to the injury bug. You can use college 4-3 guys who aren't quite beefy enough for the pros and plug 'em in.

I don't know what Tomlin's thoughts are, but if it were up to me I'd keep the 3-4.
I agree. i'll take Lebeau and the 3-4 all day. unless of course they can find 4 more like Mean Joe,LC,Mad Dog and Fats Holmes. We'll never see 4 like that again in this lifetime.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Dick's defense is a little more complicated than a basic 3-4 defense. It involves a lot of zone blitzes, false looks and coverage changes at the line of scrimmage. Watch the defense he used in the Colts playoff game (the tackle game) and notice how we hold and hold until Manning makes his reads then we bailed out of false blitzes and changed coverage right before the snap. That kind of complicated defense needs a lot of talented guys to run and the failure of one player, on any play can lead to a td for the other team.

Carter blows a tackle, TD, Burnett blows a coverage, TD, the wrong guy blitzes against Oakland, TD. There is no room for failure in a Lebeau defense on any play. Its way more involved than just a Tampa 2 or Cover 3, that basically keep everything in front of you, but the problem with Dick's defense is, when a mistake does happen, it gives up huge plays. Its a risk reward style defense and right now, with some of the missing talent, I point to McFadden, Troy, Smith and even Foote, as guys not on the defense this season, the guys replacing them are making mistakes and other guys are trying to hard to cover for them and are blowing their own assignments and its killing us.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

Dino,
I agree with all of it. Most people are underestimating the impact of losing Smith. Granted, Willie Gay looks particularly awful (especially his tackling), but the reason he's so exposed is because stunts and blitzes are failing to bring enough pressure.
When the whole thing's clicking, opposing quarterbacks don't have time to pick on the secondary.
But it's not clicking for all the reasons you mentioned.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Its a risk reward style defense and right now, with some of the missing talent, I point to McFadden, Troy, Smith and even Foote, as guys not on the defense this season, the guys replacing them are making mistakes and other guys are trying to hard to cover for them and are blowing their own assignments and its killing us.
Exactly! So assuming Troy and Smith come back in 2010 healthy, Timmons improves AND gets healthy (remember he's not playing 100%), and we replace Gay our D will be just fine. Now, we may lose Casey to free agency, so we would need big time development from Hood, and would need Keissl and Smith to stay healthy. And due to old bones we need to supplement our core D with some young talent. Fox comes to mind for Farrior. Need to get D line and secondary depth via draft and free agency.