Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312
Default Steelers Notebook: Gay no longer starting at corner

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09358/1023340-66.stm

"Steelers Notebook: Gay no longer starting at corner
Thursday, December 24, 2009
By Chuck Finder and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin has stirred -- if not shaken -- up a Steelers secondary carved recently as if it were a holiday dinner entree.

Tomlin yesterday informed starting cornerback William Gay that his role would change for this week against Baltimore, at least.

Gay was demoted to nickel-package duty at cornerback while longtime starting left cornerback Deshea Townsend was elevated to the first team. Townsend will continue to cover the slot receiver in the nickel.

"That was the decision Coach gave me. That's the game plan, I guess," Gay said after yesterday's practice. "You got to always go with the head coach. He makes the best decisions to suit the situation. I just got to go in and do my best. The season isn't over yet. And you're always one play away [from an injury to a regular player]. You definitely want to stay ready."

Townsend remains a trivia question poignant to the secondary's current woes: Who is the last Steelers cornerback to intercept a pass in a regular-season or playoff game?

"Probably would be me," Townsend answered correctly, in reference to his pick against Baltimore in the AFC championship game -- 15 such games ago. "Let's see if we can get it done this week."

The Steelers have allowed 308 and 383 yards passing in their past two home games, against the Raiders and Packers, and three touchdowns apiece. They rank second-to-last in the NFL with just eight interceptions, none by cornerbacks.
Polamalu a no-go

Safety Troy Polamalu said the results of a magnetic resonance imaging on his injured knee were "encouraging," but added that it is unlikely he will return to practice this week, meaning he will not play Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens.

Polamalu has missed the past six games with a strain to the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, an injury that can take up to six weeks to heal.
Infirm starters absent

Missing practice yesterday because of injuries were: defensive end Brett Keisel (neck), reserve cornerback Anthony Madison (illness), backup halfback Willie Parker (knee) and receiver Hines Ward (hamstring), who usually sits out Wednesdays along with linebacker James Farrior, a healthy scratch from practice.

Limited in practice were: halfback Rashard Mendenhall (hip), receiver Mike Wallace (knee) and reserve cornerback Keenan Lewis (back).

Left guard Chris Kemoeatu, who sat out all of last week to rest an ailing wrist, returned to practice and considered himself healthy enough to start.
Welcome the new guys

Graybeard receiver Joey Galloway, who really does have a gray-flecked beard, was gleeful about donning black and gold. Long snapper Jared Retkofsky felt a tad bittersweet over the situation that placed him back in those colors.

So went the first official day of work for those signed Tuesday to replace Limas Sweed (illness/personal) and Greg Warren (successful surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament yesterday), who were put on injured reserve.

"You always dream of those opportunities," said Galloway, a 15-year vet who grew up a Steelers fan in Bellaire, Ohio.

He was cut Oct. 20 by New England, returned to his Columbus, Ohio, home to prepare for the holidays and got the call from the Steelers while Christmas shopping.

Retkofsky had workouts with Washington, Atlanta and Houston while selling real estate in Fort Worth, Texas, where he admittedly wore to work the Super Bowl XLIII ring he won while filling in last year when Warren tore the ACL in his other leg. He actually got the call from Warren, who told him of the opening.
Quick hits

The Ravens signed cornerback Corey Ivy, who spent the week before the Nov. 29 Baltimore game as a member of the Steelers. ... The Steelers submitted their ballots yesterday for the Pro Bowl a week before the Super Bowl in Miami. They weren't allowed to vote for teammates, however."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont mind this move. Deshea has been playing consistent most of the year...its not like it could make things much worse, right?
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Steelers Notebook: Gay no longer starting at corner

This is a fine decision, since Gay was certainly living up to his name.

I really don't think Townsend should have any problem against the Ravens' geriatric and/or bumbling receivers.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:43 AM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,190 Times in 1,779 Posts

about 3 weeks too late if you ask me....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
How true.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,760 Times in 1,585 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I still don't think that is our answer it might help for now but not long term we need to draft or sign us a couple of good corners. That way we will be set for years to come.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
Triggerfish
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15653

Quote:
Amen brother! I've been campaigning for his ass to be run outta town since the beginning of the season. I realize on a Steelers fan site, this is gonna be almost blasphemy, but I hate that dude! I mean really....I loathe him. He defines the word "suck". He's looked totally lost out there all season, and how Tomlin didn't pull his ass weeks ago is beyond me. Not only does he suck on the field, he acted like a total asshat at the parade last year. Like anyone wants to hear that idiot on the microphone?! Let someone who actually HELPED win the Superbowl speak you freakin' no-talent toolbag!

So, yea...this is the best Steelers news I've heard in a LONG time! Whew...I feel better now. Just had to rant there fellas. hahahaha
Triggerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
This is a fine decision, since Gay was certainly living up to his name.

I really don't think Townsend should have any problem against the Ravens' geriatric and/or bumbling receivers.
They may not be the best receivers in the NFL, but they aren't that bad. Anyway, I guess we'll find out Sunday.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Bingo. That is all.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
Steelblitz6
Water Boy

Member Number: 15563

We have been talking about this suspect secondary for years, and they have yet to do anything about it. Benching Gay is a start, but Tyrone Carter needs to be the next one run out of town. The obvious is drafting a couple "shut down" corners, and hoping Polamalu can stay healthy for an entire season. For now we'll just have to hope that the offense can out score the Ravens/Dolphins, and that this team won't quit, like they did against the Browns.
Steelblitz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

I agree it's not a permanent solution, but it is a temporary solution.
Our mission right now is to beat the Ravens. We do that, and we stand a very good chance of getting Troy back in the lineup in time for Miami.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote