Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-24-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Big Ben: Steelers not a 'run-first team anymore'

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Big Ben: Steelers not a 'run-first team anymore'

December 24th, 2009

The Steelers are now a pass-first team and fans that pine for the days when Pittsburgh pounded opposing defenses with the run need to accept if not embrace the change.

That is the message Ben Roethlisberger sent Wednesday during his weekly Q&A with reporters.

Fresh off a 503-yard, three-touchdown passing performance, Roethlisberger said, “It’s probably hard for people to really wrap their head and fingers around it, but this offense is changing. It’s not a run-first team anymore. That’s not a bad thing, it really isn’t. We’ve got two 1,000-yard receivers, we’ll have a 1,000-yard rusher. You know, it’s a pretty fun thing.”

Such a sentiment might make traditionalists cringe but Roethlisberger merely articulated what has become reality since Bruce Arians took over as offensive coordinator in 2007.

And the approach, as unpalatable as it may be to some, means that the Steelers are merely up with the times.

Seven of the eight division leaders in the NFL rank among the top 12 passing teams. First and third, respectively, are the Colts and Saints.

They have one loss between them.

If the Steelers are part of a trend that has taken root in the NFL, they have also had to take their approach out of necessity.

The defense is not nearly the same without strong safety Troy Polamalu and defensive end Aaron Smith. When the Steelers play a team with a good offense more often than not they are going to have to outscore them as what happened against Green Bay last Sunday.

And if the Steelers somehow sneak into the playoffs, they are going to have to put up points if they want to advance in them.

“He’s the real reason why we’re in this position right now,” defensive end Brett Keisel said of Roethlisberger, “because of the way he got his offense ready to play. He’s one of the greats.”

The Steelers will ride the right arm of Roethlisberger the rest of the way and this much is certain: the Ravens will see a different offense Sunday than the one the Steelers put on the field in Baltimore a month ago.

With Roethlisberger out because of a concussion and Dennis Dixon making his first NFL start, the Steelers took a conservative approach on offense.

Dixon played well enough for the Steelers to win but the defense could not make a fourth-quarter lead stand up.

Rest assured, the Steelers will go down with their offense if they lose again to the Ravens, especially with Roethlisberger play at a high level and with such confidence.

“(Arians) always wants us to score as many points as we have minutes in time of possession. I think that’s a good goal for us,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s something we feel we can strive for, because we have a really good offense. We should put three points on the board every time we have the ball.”
Filed under: Steelers Comment (0)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,103 Posts
Default Re: Big Ben: Steelers not a 'run-first team anymore'

I think everyone saw this one a coming Ben is approaching 4,000 yards so that should tell someone something. In reality we still have Mendenhall approaching a 1,000 yards as well. So it seems like we still have the running game if we need it.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I don't mind them not being a run first team. I just don't want them to become the abandon the run team they've been throughout the season.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I'm happy with whatever works and gets us the victory.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

havent they already said this a bunch of times already
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I don't mind them not being a run first team. I just don't want them to become the abandon the run team they've been throughout the season.
I think given the fact that we'll have a 1,000 rusher (Mendy) and already have over 1,500 yards gained on the ground this season with 2 games remaining strongly suggests that we haven't abandoned the run.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

I preferred being a run-first team. But we didn't need Ben to tell us that. The lack of a FB kinda tipped us off.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

No shit, Ben.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

Our only hope is if Ben retires - then we draft Tebow, I bet that he'll want to run the ball
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,245 Times in 1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I think given the fact that we'll have a 1,000 rusher (Mendy) and already have over 1,500 yards gained on the ground this season with 2 games remaining strongly suggests that we haven't abandoned the run.
But wouldn't it be nice to run the ball at the end of a game and run the time out, control the clock, instead of the empty shotgun sets we've seen all year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote