Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
WPAathletics.com
Water Boy

Member Number: 14052
Default Steelers ready for HUGE showdown with Ravens...

http://www.wpaathletics.com/home/?p=852

Justin Sobieralski-WPAathletics.com STAFF

PITTSBURGH-Itís week 16 in the NFL and Christmas is almost here. All is well in Steeler Country, well sort of, after finally getting a victory over the Green Bay Packers, ending their five game losing streak, and improving their record to 7-7. Now, the Pittsburgh Steelers have life in them, at least for this week, and are going from playing the role of spoiler, back to a potential playoff contender. First things first though. The Steelers have to take care of the 8-6 Baltimore Ravens, who currently hold their own playoff destiny in their hands.

Donít think this is going to be a typical tight scoring game between these two rivals. Expect it to be a shootout.

Hereís why:

Baltimore has scored 350 points against their opposition thus far on the year, which is the most in the AFC North, even a head of the traditionally better offenses in Pittsburgh at 315 total points scored and Cincinnati at 288 total points scored, not to mention that the Ravensí defense has only allowed 225 points against, which is best the AFC North as well.

Letís put this into perspective. New Englandís total points scored against their opponents this season is 365, just 15 more than Baltimore.

The success of the Ravensí offense is a result of the maturation of Ravensí running back Ray Rice. Rice not only leads the team with over 1,100 rushing yards, but also leads the team in receptions, 73 to be exact, with nearly 700 receiving yards, to go with his seven rushing touchdowns and one receiving touchdown.

This is where the Steelers could use the services of injured safety Troy Polamalu, containing Rice specifically.

Rice has become one of quarterback Joe Flaccoís main targets, along with the ageless wonder Derrick Mason, who leads the team with 928 receiving yards, to go with his seven receiving touchdowns....

Click here to read the rest of this article... http://www.wpaathletics.com/home/?p=852
WPAathletics.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931
Default Re: Steelers ready for HUGE showdown with Ravens...

If we win the turnover battle we will win the game.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

This is what I wonder, and I like to get your take on it.

Pittsburgh has to win this game, no ifs, ands or buts. Win, and they have a chance to go 9-7 if they beat Miami in Week 17. Lose, and the season is over and in the books. But Baltimore can lose, and with a win against Oakland, still have a shot at the post-season. So, does that come into play on Sunday, as far as play-calling is concerned, and how the two teams may respond to adversity?
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
This is what I wonder, and I like to get your take on it.

Pittsburgh has to win this game, no ifs, ands or buts. Win, and they have a chance to go 9-7 if they beat Miami in Week 17. Lose, and the season is over and in the books. But Baltimore can lose, and with a win against Oakland, still have a shot at the post-season. So, does that come into play on Sunday, as far as play-calling is concerned, and how the two teams may respond to adversity?
Well of course it comes into play. I mean this is a die or go home situation for the Steelers where the Rats can slack this game, but it is still important. No matter how either team comes out this game will still be within 3 points and come down to the final drive.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

Quote:
If we beat you, you guys still control your own destiny.
I don't imagine that's going to change anybody's motivation, tho'. This is Steelers/ Ravens, and it's always a high-intensity, physical game.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

This will probably be a one score game decided in the last minute. ( why should it be different than any of the others? ) Flacco was playing with a sore ankle last time these two teams faced off, so I suspect he'll have a much more productive game tommorow. And if Flacco's effective Rice will be near lethal. So Im going to say right now if the Steelers again fail to force a turnover they'll lose, and quite possibly lose big.

On offense the Steelers will have their moments but what they do inside the red zone will be crucial but possibly not determining. The Steelers have quick strike capability, in order to win this game i think the steelers are going to have to produce at least one lengthy touchdown play.

So for the prediction. I think the ball will finally bounce the way of the Steelers defense and they'll produce 3 turnovers. One which will either result in a score or put the Steelers offense right on the doorstep. I'm also going to predict either Holmes or Logan will finally bust one and we'll score our first return td of the year. In the end the Steelers will be outgained, lose TOP but prevail 27-24 because our kicker will make one at the end and theirs will miss one late.

Steelers 27-24
Old 12-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Mags87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12016

whats the weather gonna be like at Heinz? im in the midwest (ND) and we are getting pounded by snow. i know last week the northeast was hit and i was wondering if that is the case again.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags87 View Post
whats the weather gonna be like at Heinz? im in the midwest (ND) and we are getting pounded by snow. i know last week the northeast was hit and i was wondering if that is the case again.
Should be around 32 with snow showers at kickoff on Sunday. Nothing like last weekend.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

To me if the Steelers defense can slow down Ray Rice, then that can only increase our chances of winning. Memo to Dick LeBeau.......please make sure James Farrior is not covering Ray Rice at all tomorrow. I think Ray Rice is a beast and he is without doubt their best offensive player IMO.

It's going to be another battle and hopefully we can win this one and keep our slim playoff chances alive
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Should be around 32 with snow showers at kickoff on Sunday. Nothing like last weekend.
In that case I would like to see a steady dosage of Rashard and MeMo straight up the gut. Ben can still do his gunslinging, but if our offense gets too cute and fancy in that kind of weather, we'll lose.