Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-27-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15586
Cool Steelers Mock Draft 1st try

To be honest the reason I joined this community is because I stumbled on the war room and you guys all knew your stuff about the draft, which I like to watch. So here's my first real try, tell me what you think. I am guessing they pick somewhere around 15-20 if they don't make the playoffs. If they do, anything goes.

Points- Ryan Clark, Parker and Carter are let go. Hampton is resigned, Reed is resigned. Arians is fired or demoted. More run oriented OC comes in.

1. Bruce Campbell, LT, Maryland

With Hampton resigned and top defensive backs Haden and Berry already gone look for a left tackle at this spot. Max Starks has been horrendous and needs to be on the bench. Steelers have shown they aren't afraid to take an injured player early as well (see Miller, Heath).

2. Ras-I Dowling, CB/FS, Virginia

Both areas have need for depth. Tomlin likes versatility and if he is still around this is the pick.

3. Pat Angerer, ILB, Iowa

Already looks good in black and gold and is a solid football player. Boasted over 100 tackles both seasons he started (Junior and Senior year). Also had 5 picks his first year starting and another his Senior season.

4. Noel Devine, RB/KR, West Virginia

Fast kid. Around the same speed as Mike Wallace at 5'8. Would take the place of Fast Willie and Stefan Logan. He would be like our Darren Sproles. May shy away from him due to character issues though. I love the possibilities with this pick-up

4b. O'Brien Schofield, OLB, Wisconsin

Maybe a bit late for this guy, but with the junior talent at almost every position in this draft that is likely to declare, a lot of players could fall into the later rounds. Brings needed depth at outside linebacker.

5. Vladimir Ducasse, OG, UMass

A colossal guy that can plow holes. Nearing 330 pounds and a strong lineman, should have no problem creating running lanes for Mendenhall.

5b. Taylor Price, WR, Ohio

Another Mike Wallace type receiver at 6'1" running around a 4.37. Produced well in college nearly breaking reception records for his school. May rise after combine.

6. Greg Middleton, DE, Indiana

A once widely hyped player has fallen well off the radar. His sophomore year, he led the nation in sacks with 16. He also had 50 tackles, 17 for a loss and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. Since then his production has fallen off and he only recorded 7 sacks the following 2 seasons. A work in progress but has potential that would be hard to pass up.

7. Scot Sicko, TE, New Hampshire

Led his team in receptions with 57 for over 700 yards. Also led team with 9 TD catches. His senior year was really his breakout season. Plus his name is really cool.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323
Default Re: Steelers Mock Draft 1st try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Glory View Post
To be honest the reason I joined this community is because I stumbled on the war room and you guys all knew your stuff about the draft, which I like to watch. So here's my first real try, tell me what you think. I am guessing they pick somewhere around 15-20 if they don't make the playoffs. If they do, anything goes.

Points- Ryan Clark, Parker and Carter are let go. Hampton is resigned, Reed is resigned. Arians is fired or demoted. More run oriented OC comes in.

With Hampton resigned and top defensive backs Haden and Berry already gone look for a left tackle at this spot. Max Starks has been horrendous and needs to be on the bench. Steelers have shown they aren't afraid to take an injured player early as well (see Miller, Heath).

Would be a very nice pick, but starting to think he will be gone in the top 10.

Both areas have need for depth. Tomlin likes versatility and if he is still around this is the pick.

I do like this pick, think he would make a better FS, which we need.

Already looks good in black and gold and is a solid football player. Boasted over 100 tackles both seasons he started (Junior and Senior year). Also had 5 picks his first year starting and another his Senior season.

Don't think I need to coment on this one.

Fast kid. Around the same speed as Mike Wallace at 5'8. Would take the place of Fast Willie and Stefan Logan. He would be like our Darren Sproles. May shy away from him due to character issues though. I love the possibilities with this pick-up

Interesting idea, but I think if we go RB here, would likely be Gerhart or Doxon.

Maybe a bit late for this guy, but with the junior talent at almost every position in this draft that is likely to declare, a lot of players could fall into the later rounds. Brings needed depth at outside linebacker.

May be gone a round earlier, but would be a nice pick for us.

A colossal guy that can plow holes. Nearing 330 pounds and a strong lineman, should have no problem creating running lanes for Mendenhall.

See above.

Another Mike Wallace type receiver at 6'1" running around a 4.37. Produced well in college nearly breaking reception records for his school. May rise after combine.

I knew he had nice size, but didn't realize he was that fast. If he shows hands at the combine likely will be gone.

A once widely hyped player has fallen well off the radar. His sophomore year, he led the nation in sacks with 16. He also had 50 tackles, 17 for a loss and a fumble recovery for a touchdown. Since then his production has fallen off and he only recorded 7 sacks the following 2 seasons. A work in progress but has potential that would be hard to pass up.

Seems to have fallen from grace. Could be a little small for a DE for us.

Led his team in receptions with 57 for over 700 yards. Also led team with 9 TD catches. His senior year was really his breakout season. Plus his name is really cool.

Nice job bud!!

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:

Good draft (predicated on Hampton being resigned).

I like the picks of Campbell, Schofield, and Middleton!

Very nice.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Steel Glory
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15586

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think if the coaches think Middleton is too small for them at DE he could also fill in at outside linebacker. He might even be better served switching over and learning for a while behind Harrison and Woodley.
Steel Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,615 Times in 808 Posts

I know a Maryland resident that would like that #1 pick.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I know a Maryland resident that would like that #1 pick.
i know a MD resident that thinks he might end up being the first tackle off the board if he has the combine numbers he's predicted to have. he should throw up about 37 reps (i think i read somewhere he benches 450 or so ) and run a low 5 forty. those kinda numbers shot jason smith infront of the other OT's last year.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:28 AM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i know a MD resident that thinks he might end up being the first tackle off the board if he has the combine numbers he's predicted to have. he should throw up about 37 reps (i think i read somewhere he benches 450 or so ) and run a low 5 forty. those kinda numbers shot jason smith infront of the other OT's last year.
Except for the ones yelling " why take a OT" I think most of us would enjoy that pick. But I don't think its likely. He's just not going to be there for us.

Simply, The Chief.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think if the coaches think Middleton is too small for them at DE he could also fill in at outside linebacker. He might even be better served switching over and learning for a while behind Harrison and Woodley.
I think Middleton is a bit to large and slow to play OLB for the Steelers, but he is a good DE prospect in the later rounds. Most drafts that I have seen show him to be a 6 rounder to FA prospect.
Take a look at Jeffrey Fitzgerald as a possible 6th rounder. He was a first-team all-american freshman who sat out last year after leaving Virginia and transferring to Kansas State,
With Virginia
In 2006 he had: 64 total tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 5 sacks 2 int, 14 QB hurries, 2 fumble recoveries and 1 forced fumble.
In 2007 he had 73 total tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 2 int, 4 QB hurries, 1 fumble recovery and 2 forced fumbles.
With Kansas State
in 2009 he had: 40 total tackles,10 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, 1 interception (returned for TD), 5 QB hurries, and 2 forced fumbles
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:00 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
Except for the ones yelling " why take a OT" I think most of us would enjoy that pick. But I don't think its likely. He's just not going to be there for us.
oh you mean the people who still can't see how inconsistent the oline still is ? or the people who don't realize there's still zero depth at tackle.when you gotta pull your starting right guard from his position and put him at left tackle...YOU NEED A TACKLE !!!...
but anywho...our lil win streak here has probably put most of the quality pics i wanted out of reach... i'll probably be hoping for a trade back into the mid to late 20's and pick up an extra 2nd....unless i develop a man crush during senior week..

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
oh you mean the people who still can't see how inconsistent the oline still is ? or the people who don't realize there's still zero depth at tackle.when you gotta pull your starting right guard from his position and put him at left tackle...YOU NEED A TACKLE !!!...
but anywho...our lil win streak here has probably put most of the quality pics i wanted out of reach... i'll probably be hoping for a trade back into the mid to late 20's and pick up an extra 2nd....unless i develop a man crush during senior week..

Yea, those would be the guys. How long have we been screaming for a OT, well maybe someday. I like the idea of trading down, we might be able to pick up Spikes, or even my guy Bulage. I've heard that Anthony Daves has declared so that is a possibility too.

Did you watch the USC - BC game? Don't tell Gonzo, but I think he's right about that Tennent kid.

Simply, The Chief.