Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824
Default Our Defense is like paper mache

It's really sad watching our D....as a whole, they look old and slow. And the later it gets in the game the less aggressive our blitzes look. When the Ravens are blitzing Ben, it looks like all Hell breaking loose..multiple guys getting to him...we we're coming after Flacco, he's got an outlet receiver at his finger tips and we don't even get close... Incredibly disappointing to watch.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Our Defense is like paper mache

Look on the bright side, there's only one more game left of this headache.

We need to go defense in the draft and re-access our situation. With the inconsistent Arians offense, and a paper towel defense, we'll see more mediocre seasons like this in Pittsburgh.

While the 20-10 lead at the half was nice, deep down I knew it would evaporate in no time at all. Sure enough, it did. Dick's scheme has been figured out and the D is just old and slow.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
UF-Steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12845

and our Defense wins the game...
UF-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Defense is no longer dominant in any shape or form. Sad, but true.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

We're gonna get Troy back soon (hopefully in time for the fish). That'll change the landscape dramatically!
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

I had a feeling Rice was going to have a good day against us. He never really broke a big one though, just concistently got 4-5 a carry.

This defense is one to forget, reminds me of the 2003 version that crumbled at the end of games.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

um yeah...unlike the Packers defense who we torched...or mabye the Bengals "awesome" defense...or maybe the Ravens fantastic defense that let us drive 95 yards right before the half...or maybe the Pats defense that forces their offense to be in shootouts all the time...or the Colts defense that let a rooke QB kick their arse today. Or maybe you mean we should be more like the Redskins defense that is getting smoked right now...or the Denver defense that got smacked around all day by Philly. or maybe we should be more like the Jets...I mean...they are spectacular aren't they? Well...not really...but still we suck?????

Quit crying about the 6th best D in the league. We have issues, but we aren't bottom feeders and are playing without Smith on Dline and Troy in the secondary.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

When your defense is repsonsible for blowing 4th quarter leads in all but one of your losses, you should complain.

Don't let the statistics fool you, a top 5 D (or top 6) shouldn't let the legendary Bruce Gradkowski light them up to the tune of 21 fourth quarter points. They wouldn't get beat by Joshua Cribba on 3rd and longs from the wildcat formation when everybody knows where the play is going.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

yeah, I get that, but the Packers D shouldn't have let us get 500 yards passing, the Ravens D shouldn't have let us drive the ball down their throats...again...the Broncos D shouldn't have let us torch them, the Colts D shouldn't have lost to a freaking pathetic choker of a Rookie QB.

It happens. But the D stepped up today and made plays when they absolutely had to including at the end of the game. The fact they were on the field almost the entire 3rd Qrt impresses me that they were able to actually make plays in the 4th.

Hopefully, they only improve, but the kicking team let up pathetic returns earlier this year, the Offense turned over the ball in OT against the Ravens in game one, the Offense got the ball first in the game against KC and did squat with it. Its a team failure. Not just the D...or The O...or Dick L or Bruce A (although I love to pick on him) Its a Team Loss almost everytime.

When you're O is not scoring TDs in the redzone, or is throwing Picks in the Redzone or is fumbling the ball away at key moments in the game, things get tough.

Pretty sure the D gave us the ball in the Ravens Territory today and we only got 3. Pretty sure the D got a turnover right after we fumbled in our own end. Pretty sure the D did its job today and won the game late.

If anything, I think today we gave the Ravens the Run, that or both our Inside Linebackers forgot how to tackle. I didn't see too many runs to the outside, mostly were between the tackles, that's on the Inside Linebackers and Safety, but since we were playing safety over the top with Clark most of the Game, and were committing Carter to the run stoppage, we let up a lot of gashing 5 yard runs. Picked our poison, and when the Ravens had to throw late, we stopped them.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #10
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

I would definitely say they earned their pay today, although not a dominating preformance, they got the job done and even gave us a spark at times.
As for the rest of the season....I mean, like you mentioend, other teams have their woes too, but I can understand getting lit up by minnessota or green bay or the chargers, but it hurts when you see your team blow leads to sluggish offenses like the bengals, bears, raiders and chiefs