Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-30-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Parity Through The Draft

On the subject of re-stocking talent - how does everyone think that the whole draft policy is working out?

In a way its good that struggling teams get to pick first - but then we see these teams get held to ransom by the highly rated rookies that they select - which means they have to overpay on their rookie contact .....which gets them into even more cap trouble!

Personally, I would like to see a standard 'rookie contract' - you would pay every 1st rounder the same basic contract then you pay every 2nd rounder slightly less...and so on down through the draft.

If the NFL really wants parity I think it needs to have another look at this situation.

Coaching obviously has a huge effect on a teams ability to win - but I dont see how you can effectively handicap teams just for having a succesful coach.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:12 AM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Parity Through The Draft

The Players Union is 100% behind instituting something like the NBA Rookie contract structure...less money for unproven rookies = more money for seasoned and proven veterans.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

Imagine how Ben Roethlisberger would be feeling on February 5th if San Diego, or the Giants took him. They showed his draft day thing on Countdown yesterday.
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12
Imagine how Ben Roethlisberger would be feeling on February 5th if San Diego, or the Giants took him. They showed his draft day thing on Countdown yesterday.
i watched the extended version of this on draft day. if you ever get a chance to see the whole thing it shows their bus ride to the draft and follows them around the whole day. i noticed something very telling about ben and eli. ben was loose and cutting up and clowning around with deangello hall. calling him "d-hall" and joking around. when they tried to talk to eli or get him in on the act he would barely even crack a smile or aknowledge them. i figured on that day that ben would be a better leader and locker room presence.

as for the way the draft is set up i think its pretty screwed up that san fran was so close to getting the #1 pick again and may be in the same position next season. after all that work to purge their salary cap, to be put right back in salary cap hell because of 3 high 1st round draft picks who may not even be contributing just seems counter productive.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

i would love for the nfl to do it like the nba and have that shit set already for where you are picked, it would end all the bullshit holdouts by dumbass rookies acting like they are free agents and have a say in where they go
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbank Tiger
That's not so bad...it's just a matter of using your cap room wisely. One myth about the Saints is that Tom Benson's a cheapskate--in reality, he spent a lot of money, but he wasted it on players like Aaron Brooks and Tesucky Jones.

The 49ers have two options to keep high draft picks from putting them in salary cap hell--they can draft good players who are worth the big dollars, or they can trade down and get solid 2nd and 3rd rounders to address a larger number of needs. (Which is what the Saints should do--I don't see Leinart or Young as can't miss prospects.)
Yeah it sounds so obvious when you put it like that!

The first option is great - "draft good players who are worth the big dollars" - someone should ask the Cards, 49ers, and Browns why they have been opting for the less popular option of "drafting bad players who will likely be cut before their rookie contract expires"

I do, however, agree with trading down in certain scenarios...ie if your team has multiple desperate needs - but you have to offset that with the fact NFL fans are paying to watch your team - and they want to see you nab the big name QB/RB at the top of the draft.

This theory leads me to believe that the Texans will take Reggie Bush in this years draft - they can't afford to pass up on the opportunity of getting the next Barry Sanders!

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 01-30-2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:10 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
i would love for the nfl to do it like the nba and have that shit set already for where you are picked, it would end all the bullshit holdouts by dumbass rookies acting like they are free agents and have a say in where they go
Alot of the holdouts are generated by (surprise surprise) player Agents - our 1st round TE from a couple of years back (Ben Watson) was making quite alot of bad press with the fact he was holding out and not attending 'voluntary' (is there really such a thing?) training camp.

Turns out he was getting frustrated with his agent holding the whole thing up - promptly fired his ass - then he and his new agent had him signed up within the week.

Rookies can be naive and arrogant - agents love to exploit this.

NM
Old 01-30-2006, 10:53 PM   #8
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

This thread is like LITP talking to himself! What the?
Old 01-31-2006, 02:25 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark
This thread is like LITP talking to himself! What the?
Apologies Shark,

I should have realised that any sort of 'real' football talk would have had you confused.

Haven't you got any recently banned Seahawks fans to call out?

NM