Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Madden Monday: Harrison's merely mediocre

Madden Monday: Harrison's merely mediocre
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...-mediocre.html
By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times

Monday December 28, 2009 12:09 AM

Will the real James Harrison please stand up? Then again, be careful what you wish for.

Last year, James Harrison was NFL Defensive Player of the Year. This year, thrust into the role of primary playmaker on the Steelers’ defense because of injuries to Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith, he’s been average. Some games, Harrison has been nearly invisible. Witness just one forced fumble since Week 5, zero sacks his last five games.

Before bursting into prominence with 8½ sacks in 2007, Harrison got cut four times, three times by the Steelers. He was thought to be a bit small and slow, not quite up to NFL standards beyond special teams.

Now, after guaranteeing $20 million to Harrison via a contract inked this past offseason, the Steelers have to be worried.

Harrison apologists claim he gets held without penalty on virtually every play, a grotesque exaggeration. Watch the tape.

True, Harrison is held often. True, it isn’t often flagged.

But that happens to LaMarr Woodley, too. It happens to every player who specializes in rushing the passer. The great ones still make plays. Mean Joe Greene sure did, and Greene — a defensive tackle — operated in close quarters where he got held a lot more than Harrison.

Despite his edgy disposition and all that bravado, Harrison has spent much of the current season looking for flags, not kicking tail. That’s what Cleveland Browns left tackle Joe Thomas thinks, anyway.

“It seems like he didn’t do it last year,” Thomas told a Cleveland newspaper. “Now he’s kind of perfected it. When you push him by the quarterback, if he doesn’t think he can get to the quarterback anymore, he thinks the best thing for him to do is kind of flop as dramatically as possible and hope it baits the ref into throwing the flag.
Advertisement Greek Catholic Union

“Basically, as you push him by, he’ll just throw his arms up in the air and his feet and try to make it look like you threw him down. It’s kind of like taking a charge in the NBA … it shows up on tape over and over again.”

Harrison might be best advised to commit an occasional penalty himself, picking a situation where the Steelers aren’t at risk to dish out some pain, give away 15 yards, pay a fine and get some more room in the future. Greene’s preferred method was a punch to the gut, sometimes lower.

A lot of Steelers have seen their performances fade this season. Management needs to take a close look at all those players.

Management also needs to take a close look at the coaching staff and the methods applied (or not) that allow a defending Super Bowl champion to have a five-game losing streak marked by abject lack of focus. The Steelers’ locker-room leadership, meanwhile, needs to look in the mirror.

Don’t take the last two wins too seriously. They were mostly about luck, opposition incompetence and Ben Roethlisberger’s excellence.

As for Harrison, next season will be pivotal.

The best qualities of players who have previously been written off usually include determination and resiliency. Harrison will need to harness both those attributes next season or critics will start to say, rightly, that he’s flashing back into his pan.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Madden Monday: Harrison's merely mediocre

Man, I hope this pisses him off.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

lol. what a retard. madden wants us to believe that he actually watches "the tape" and game film?

joe greene was held more in the 70's huh? joe thomas calls harrison a flopper?

reach much? seems madden is taking a page of "fact" from the board guru.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

This a total garbage...just because he's not racking up sacks, although he is still one of the league leaders, doesn't mean he isn't wreaking havoc on opposing offenses. Is this dude just trying to cause a stir so that he can get his readership numbers up?! I can assure you, no one that has any clue is concerned about James Harrison...just you freakin' stupid journalists...
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,426 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
joe greene was held more in the 70's huh?
Actually, he probably was, but Joe Greene could also clobber opponents who did hold him upside the head legally for most of his career. And what is considered "blocking" today was holding then as well.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

the guy that write this...

retard.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

Dear Madden,
Harrison got Defensive Player of the week twice this year and was instrumental in beating Baltimore yesterday.Please shut your cawk-holster.
Affectionately yours,
-Slashy
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Whats true is we signed him to big money and he is on our over 30 crew. Granted he has far less mileage, but this is the time performance starts to slide.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
MarsRover
Water Boy

Member Number: 14198

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
Dear Madden,
Harrison got Defensive Player of the week twice this year and was instrumental in beating Baltimore yesterday.Please shut your cawk-holster.
Affectionately yours,
-Slashy
LOL.

A+++ POST, WOULD READ AGAIN.
MarsRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Whats true is we signed him to big money and he is on our over 30 crew. Granted he has far less mileage, but this is the time performance starts to slide.
I tend to agree with you here. I thought giving James the big long term deal was kind of a reward for being underpaid the last few years. The Steelers generally don't do this, and I kind of think that's why they've been so successful. They let Faneca walk, and they've let countless 30 something year old linebacker go including Porter most recently. I'm not surprised they wanted to lock him up and get him signed, I'm just surprised at the length and depth of the contract.

It seems to me a guy tends to lose his edge when he gets the big deal. Not saying Harrison hasn't been good this year, just not dominant like the previous 2. Maybe it's no Polamalu, maybe it's no Smith, maybe it's having another ring on his finger, but there's just a little something missing this year.

In no way am I agreeing with Madden. This jerk is exaggerating for effect. There is no way he is average. Just maybe a little fire not lit this year.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote