Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Coach's decision may cost Steelers

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Coach's decision may cost Steelers

December 28th, 2009

When it comes to NFL coaches, only Bill Belichick may be more reviled among Steelers fans than Jim Caldwell these days.

Caldwell’s decision to yank his starters in the third quarter of a game that the Colts were leading Sunday may have also pulled the plug on the Steelers’ season.

Had the Colts beaten the Jets -- and it’s hard to envision that not happening had the incomparable Peyton Manning been allowed to finish what he started -- the Steelers would have had a much easier path to the playoffs.

All they would have had to do is beat the Dolphins and have the Patriots beat the Texans.

True, New England has already clinched the AFC East title but Belichick is the anti-Caldwell. He always plays to win.

Because the Jets rallied to beat the Colts, the Steelers now have to depend on several teams to win Sunday if they want the chance to defend their Super Bowl title.

And the NFL didn’t do the Steelers any favors by moving the Bengals-Jets game from 1 to 8:20 p.m. under flex scheduling.

One scenario that gets the Steelers into the playoffs is them beating the Dolphins and the Patriots and Bengals also winning.

The problem is if the Patriots beat the Texans in a 1 p.m. game, they will almost certainly lock up the No. 3 seed in the AFC playoffs. That would make the Bengals’ game Sunday night at the Meadowlands meaningless.

Thus Carson Daly is more likely to play quarterback for the Bengals than Carson Palmer.

As for Caldwell’s decision, which has been widely criticized, I couldn’t disagree with it more on several levels.

If the first-year head coach were so concerned about injuries why play key starters, like Manning, at all against the Jets? Also by easing up on the gas pedal, Caldwell is risking the team that has been the best one in the NFL this season not being sharp for the games that matter most.

Remember the Colts have a bye week between the end of the regular season and their first playoff game. The last time they took an approach similar to the one that will ultimately make Caldwell a genius or give birth to the phrase “pulled a Caldwell” didn’t work out so well.

The Colts came out flat in a divisional playoff game and lost to a team they had beaten by 19 points during the regular season.

If the Steelers, who went on to win the Super Bowl after stunning the Colts, benefitted from Indianapolis’ caution in 2005, they are paying for it now.

However, as angry as Steelers fans may be with Cadwell, he doesn’t owe the Steelers a thing.

They should direct their ire at a team that only needed to beat the Chiefs, Raiders or Browns to avoid its current predicament.

Not the coach who blinked when he had the chance to chase immortality.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Coach's decision may cost Steelers

Quote:
When it comes to NFL coaches, only Bill Belichick may be more reviled among Steelers fans than Jim Caldwell these days.

Caldwell’s decision to yank his starters in the third quarter of a game that the Colts were leading Sunday may have also pulled the plug on the Steelers’ season.
Once again, the Steelers have nobody to blame but themselves for their predicament and Steelers fans should be pointing the finger of blame where it belongs.

Having said that, it was a truly gutless move and I hope it comes back to bite them hard.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
eafratitpm3
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1192

If we don't get in I hope one of these 5 or 6 seed teams beat one of the teams that let them skate in. I would love to see the Jets get in and some how win their first game and play the Colts and beat them, that would be justice well served!
eafratitpm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

The Steelers fans cannot even be thinking that Caldwell is the reason we are not getting into the playoffs. He has nothing to do with it. If we could have beat just one of FOUR scrub teams, we are in the driver's seat. Just ONE OF THEM. Losing to the Bears, Browns, Raiders and Chiefs is just absolutely unbelievable. The Steelers do not deserve to be in the playoffs plain and simple. If they somehow get a miracle and get in through the back door, then they still don't deserve to be there. I live, breathe, eat Steelers football, so don't get me wrong. And I still hope the miracle happens. BUT, they are not deserving of it. BTW, because Caldwell took Manning and Wayne out of the game, the guy in my fantasy league that is two games ahead of me lost by 4/10 of a point tonight. So if he loses next week and I win I have a shot at right around $700 since I am way ahead of him in season points. The decision made me happy in that respect.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:25 AM   #5
Mags87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12016

as a football fan, i would have loved to see the colts pull the perfect season. it takes away from what the pats did. and its not like that O line is swiss cheese or Manning has had an injury prone career. one more drive is all it takes to put that game away and have that shot at greatness.
also, think of this from the Colts' fans perspective. always getting one upped by the pats when they have the best QB this game has ever seen. and when they have a chance to pull a perfect season, the rookie coach pulls em? to quote the MNF guys, C'mon man! this was a special season for them and fans cough up thousands of dollars for 2 seats and the trip to watch greatness, and they get benched in the 3rd? you have to remember who pays your bills Indy. a disgruntled fanbase is a terrible thing to deal with.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

it wasn't Caldwell that decided to pull the starters.. it was his boss and bitch of an owner Bill Polian. only a clueless owner would have his players play a half and then take everyone out.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 AM   #7
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,664 Times in 616 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Once again, the Steelers have nobody to blame but themselves for their predicament and Steelers fans should be pointing the finger of blame where it belongs.

Having said that, it was a truly gutless move and I hope it comes back to bite them hard.
The Indianapolis Colts are a team full of gutless cowards, and I'm not saying that because of the stunt they pulled this past Sunday. I'm saying that because they don't have what it takes to win in the post-season, and then when they receive their annual post-season comeuppance, they get their piece-of-sh*t GM to coerce the "Competition" Committee weasels into manipulating the rule book to his benefit. Now that Tony Dungy is gone, I have no reason whatsoever to tolerate the Colts anymore -- and Bill Polian alone is reason enough to hate them. Maybe he can make some more horsesh*t rules in March after this next, imminent one-and-done playoff appearance of theirs.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #8
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

I agree we have no one to blame but ourselves. My opinion of what Caldwell did,for what it's worth. I think it was a very,very stupid move and watch as the relationship between him and Manning goes south. Did you see the look on Manning's face?
Priceless!!! He looked like a little kid expecting a Wii and got a used Atari.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #9
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,664 Times in 616 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

What's wrong with Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Asteroids and Kangaroo?
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:45 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,658 Times in 1,581 Posts

how would you like to be a fan holding tickets to the indy / buff game ? you couldn't get me in that stadium with free tickets and free beer .... well maybe with free beer and a heated luxery box ... but really, who in thier right mind would go freeze thier ass off for that game ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote