Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Mike Tomlin not asking for help to get into the playoffs

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer 2 hours, 51 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Sit Cedric Benson. Play Cedric Benson. Sit Tom Brady. Play Tom Brady.

How much the Bengals’ Benson plays against the Jets and the Patriots’ Brady plays against the Texans on Sunday might determine not only the winners of those games, but whether the Pittsburgh Steelers make the playoffs.

Regardless, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin isn’t about to lobby another coach to play his best players, even if Pittsburgh’s season may be riding on any such decision.

To Tomlin, the Steelers (8-7) put themselves in a position where they need a lot of assistance to make the AFC playoffs, so they shouldn’t go begging for help.

“I could care less how the Bengals approach what it is they do,” Tomlin said Tuesday.

To make the playoffs, the Steelers must defeat the Dolphins (7-8) in Miami on Sunday and hope multiple games fall in their favor. Among the scenarios are the AFC East champion Patriots (10-5) beating Houston (8-7) and the AFC North champion Bengals (10-5) beating the Jets (8-7).

However, the Patriots and Bengals may not play their regulars very long, if at all, because they are in the playoffs regardless of the outcome. Also, both teams will play the following weekend, one of them only six days after Sunday’s regular season-ending game.

The Steelers’ chances of returning to the playoffs for the fifth time in six seasons were lessened when the Colts (14-1) rested their starters after taking a five-point lead Sunday, and the Jets came back to win 29-15. That put the Jets in position to make the playoffs if they win on Sunday, just as the Ravens (8-7) can if they win at Oakland.

Despite the Colts’ much-debated decision that not risking injury to a key player was more important than going for a 16-0 season, Tomlin doesn’t believe in telling another team what to do with its personnel.

“I really have no opinion,” Tomlin said. “I trust that those coaches are going to do what they feel is best for their football teams. I’m going to do what’s best for mine. Very rarely do I pass judgment on the decision-making of other coaches in regard to other teams, because I don’t have a pulse on their group.”

Tomlin understands the delicate balance between playing regulars enough to keep them sharp but not enough to get hurt. Last season, Ben Roethlisberger sustained a concussion after Tomlin chose to play him in a meaningless season-ending game against Cleveland.

Luckily for the Steelers, they didn’t play their first playoff game until two weeks later. That gave the quarterback time to heal, and he went on to lead them to a Super Bowl title. But if the Steelers had played as soon as six days after Roethlisberger was hurt, he might not have been ready.

Tomlin also doesn’t believe it’s necessary to argue for maintaining the integrity of the game. He feels any competitive team wants to win no matter who is playing.

In 2004, the Steelers rested most of their regulars in a game the Bills needed to win to make the playoffs, yet Pittsburgh won 29-24 at Buffalo despite playing mostly backups. Not only did the Steelers keep their starters healthy, they found a future 1,000-yard rusher on their bench in Willie Parker(notes), who had his first 100-yard game that day.

“I think we’re all competitors and we play to win,” Tomlin said. “Every time we come out of that tunnel, that’s the intent. The ramifications, in regard to other teams, is irrelevant to me. It’s more about the people that I come out of the tunnel with and our commitment to this organization, our fans, our community. So we come out to win.”

If the Steelers wanted to avoid relying on outside teams for help—teams that might not feel the same urgency to win this weekend as they do—they could have prevented it by winning more games earlier in the season.

The Steelers defeated the Chargers (12-3), Vikings (11-4), Broncos (8-7) and Ravens (8-7) but lost to the Chiefs (3-12), Browns (4-11), Raiders (5-10) and Bears (6-9).

“This our bed. We’re going to lay in it,” Tomlin said. “We created this situation. What we are going to do is control what we can control, and that’s our preparation of play for the game. We’re not going to cry over spilled milk. If there’s any level of disappointment in terms of how this thing unfolds, it’s going to be on us.”

In a player move, the Steelers signed first-year defensive back Trae Williams and put rookie defensive back Keenan Lewis(notes) (back) on the injured reserve list. Williams had been on the Seahawks’ practice squad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
jokerman
Water Boy

Member Number: 14225
Default Re: Mike Tomlin not asking for help to get into the playoffs

i see what he is saying and i agree with tomlin completely. i mean, wouldnt he look really stupid if he lobbied the bengals coach to play and the bengals go on to win.....but we loose?
jokerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I think this is pretty much SOP for ALL NFL coaches. Besides, it makes no sense...what team would WANT to help the Steelers? With Troy back, we become much more dangerous than we are now. We're the only 6th seed to ever win a SB. This would be like letting the fox into their hen house.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
steelbad@50
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14816

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I think this is pretty much SOP for ALL NFL coaches. Besides, it makes no sense...what team would WANT to help the Steelers? With Troy back, we become much more dangerous than we are now. We're the only 6th seed to ever win a SB. This would be like letting the fox into their hen house.
I agree with you though its pretty chicken shit by Cincy or Patriots organization to lose a game unpurpose just to keep us out of the playoffs. How far do they expect to get with that way of thinking in the playoffs.Chicken shit teams dont belong in the playoffs and please i dont want to hear we put ourselves in this position,I know, thats not what this topic is about. Its time for Cincy to man up and measure themselves against a good team like the Steelers in the playoffs. If they beat us in the playoffs just imagine the confidence they would have throughout the rest of the post season.
steelbad@50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I just hope the Patriots, Raiders and Bengals make it very competitive like the Giants did against the Patriots 2 seasons ago in the finale. Although the more you think about it why exactly would the Patriots, Raiders and Bengals want to help out the Steelers. Either way it will be an exciting time watching all of the games on Sunday.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

He does not have to ask. Because he needs help no matter what...
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #7
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
He does not have to ask. Because he needs help no matter what...
You make a very good point!
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
chucoblack&gold
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9467

We need to priortize first, the only thing we should worry about is beating the phins at their house.

As far as other teams proving themselves against us in the playoffs is nonsense. We couldnt even prove ourselves as defending champs in the regular season.