Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers need to keep Hampton

Steelers need to keep Hampton
http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...k/default.aspx
By Bob Smizik | Wednesday, 12:30 a.m.

Nobody asked me, but . . .

* Casey Hampton is going to the Pro Bowl. Who knew? I hadnít heard anyone speculating that Hampton might be one of the Steelers selected. If the fat man, who will be a free agent at the end of the season, still has some miles on him, and it looks like he does, the Steelers would be wise to bring him back for next season, either with a new contract or by placing a franchise tag on him. Theyíve got enough defensive Casey Hamptonholes without having to worry about one at nose tackle.

* He has his critics and they are probably enjoying his current troubles, but my respect for Mike Tomlin has only grown through the way he has conducted himself through these difficult times. Heís a stand-up guy of the highest order and heís going to be coach of the Steelers for a long, long time.

* Despite the loss last night to a mediocre UCLA team in some meaningless bowl game, Temple coach Al Golden should have been everyoneís pick as college football coach of the year. Gary Patterson of TCU got the Associated Press version of the award. Patterson took over a 10-2 team in 2006 and has gone 10-2, 11-1 and 12-0. Thatís nice but it doesnít compare to what Golden did. He took over a program that hadnít had a winning season since 1990, that had been 30-137 in the previous 15 years, that had been 3-31 in the previous three years before his hire and in four years got it to 9-4. Concerning his resurrection of the mid-1980s Pirates, Syd Thrift said, ``It ainít easy raising the dead.íí Golden did that and some at Temple.

* The notion that Indianapolis fans were cheated and should get their money back because coach Jim Caldwell benched some of his starters in the second half Sunday is absolute nonsense. Thereís no guarantees about who will play or for how long that comes with a ticket purchase.

* Jamie Dixon is one of the best basketball coaches Iíve ever been around, but I donít think even he can get this Pitt team to the NCAA tournament. But if he doesnít, it will be a short break. Dixon has some hot players coming who will bring Pitt back.

* The Pirates decision not to extend manager John Russell and leave him in what amounts to lame-duck status in the final year of his contract should surprise no one. It is typical of the tight-fisted fiscal policy of Bob Nutting that is carried out to perfection by Frank Coonelly. In essence, it is this: Never pay more than you have to for anyone. That might work in some business, but succeeding in baseball requires more risks than Nutting and Coonelly seem willing to take. The Pirates would no more think of having to pay someone not to manage than they would of being active in the free-agent market.

* This from Chris Dokish, who writes about all things Pitt for various publications. Three Pitt players were selected for the Pro Bowl -- wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, punter Andy Lee and cornerback Darrelle Revis. All were Walt Harris recruits. Dokish reports that the University of Miami has six Pro Bowlers, the most of any college.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148
Default Re: Steelers need to keep Hampton

I don't know what the franchise tag would but in an uncapped year it's worth it. SIGN HIM!!
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,717 Times in 1,572 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I would say if we can afford him we need to get him resigned. Hopefully it wouldn't be break the bank money.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

he's the best defensive tackle in the league, he just isn't mentioned enough because we had such a great linebackers corps of peezy, deebo, foote, farrior, haggans woodley and others to name to stop the run, he clogs up all the middle lol chris johnson witness it in the first game.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

He's a handsome and powerful man.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Actually we get 2 franchise tags next year and the season is uncapped as of right now. Hampton should be to resign. And he deserves it.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Perhaps I am a lone shark here, but I would not re-sign him to a long term deal. I would franchise him for a year, but I would not re-sign him to a long term deal. That would be a huge mistake.

Pro-Bowl or not, we all know that the voting for that is flawed. We have been gashed for 150+ lately by two different teams and a lot of those runs are right up the middle. The Steelers cannot panick and sign a 32 year old lineman to big dollars long term. Part of our problem on defense is that we are aging and it is showing at key positions...D'line, CB, ILB, and Safety. If we give Casey big money, it will the equivilant to what we did with Gildon several years ago...giving big money to a player that could decline at any moment due to wear and tear and age.

We need to draft someone to replace Casey, and what we do know is that Hoke can step in for a year and play Casey's position. One of the biggest problems we have on the D'line is that they are all aging and we have no replacements for them other than Ziggy and maybe...maybe Sonny Harris. The rest...Smith, Eason, Keisel, Kirschke, and Hoke will all be 30+ next year. We need to look big picture here and not give long term money to Casey just because he has been a great Steeler.

I realize that some older players...Carter, Parker, Townsend, Kirschke...will probably be gone next year and will free up some money, but this team cannot afford to tie up the money free'd from the departing players into another older player. This team needs to add quality depth and get younger. Signing Casey will eat up some of those dollars that we need to do that.

We also cannot ignore that we have Woodley and Holmes coming up in the next year to re-sign. I would absolutely hate to commit big dollars to a lineman that has 1 or 2 years left and lose the younger core of our team.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
he's the best defensive tackle in the league, he just isn't mentioned enough because we had such a great linebackers corps of peezy, deebo, foote, farrior, haggans woodley and others to name to stop the run, he clogs up all the middle lol chris johnson witness it in the first game.
He is not the best defensive tackle in the league. I would take the following over Casey in a heartbeat:

Haloti Ngata
Jamal Williams
Albert Haynesworth
Jay Ratliff
Either of the Williams twins in Minnesota
...and if he wasn't such a dirtbag...Vince Wilfork
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
Perhaps I am a lone shark here, but I would not re-sign him to a long term deal. I would franchise him for a year, but I would not re-sign him to a long term deal. That would be a huge mistake.

Pro-Bowl or not, we all know that the voting for that is flawed. We have been gashed for 150+ lately by two different teams and a lot of those runs are right up the middle. The Steelers cannot panick and sign a 32 year old lineman to big dollars long term. Part of our problem on defense is that we are aging and it is showing at key positions...D'line, CB, ILB, and Safety. If we give Casey big money, it will the equivilant to what we did with Gildon several years ago...giving big money to a player that could decline at any moment due to wear and tear and age.

We need to draft someone to replace Casey, and what we do know is that Hoke can step in for a year and play Casey's position. One of the biggest problems we have on the D'line is that they are all aging and we have no replacements for them other than Ziggy and maybe...maybe Sonny Harris. The rest...Smith, Eason, Keisel, Kirschke, and Hoke will all be 30+ next year. We need to look big picture here and not give long term money to Casey just because he has been a great Steeler.

I realize that some older players...Carter, Parker, Townsend, Kirschke...will probably be gone next year and will free up some money, but this team cannot afford to tie up the money free'd from the departing players into another older player. This team needs to add quality depth and get younger. Signing Casey will eat up some of those dollars that we need to do that.

We also cannot ignore that we have Woodley and Holmes coming up in the next year to re-sign. I would absolutely hate to commit big dollars to a lineman that has 1 or 2 years left and lose the younger core of our team.
I agree. Woodley, Holmes, Timmons need to be the priority. That's been the Steeler way and it's been successful. I like the franchise tag idea, but I always worry about the player being disgruntled and not giving 100% in that case. They didn't franchise Faneca for that reason. Faneca was pretty blatant in saying publicly the Steelers would regret it if they franchised him.

We need Limas Sweed to pan out next year so we don't need to think about replacing Ward. I hope he can come in next year and get his head straight. Mendy has shown his worth and I think we're set at RB for the near future. D line and CB need to be addressed early in next years draft. I would be in favor of almost any trade to move up and draft Suh, never happen but I can dream.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
He is not the best defensive tackle in the league. I would take the following over Casey in a heartbeat:

Haloti Ngata
Jamal Williams
Albert Haynesworth
Jay Ratliff
Either of the Williams twins in Minnesota
...and if he wasn't such a dirtbag...Vince Wilfork
disagree with you big time on half of those...haynesworth would be horrible, good talent but can easily ruin a team....i like the williams but werent they just questioned for drug violations...i would like to have ngata and williams but not over casey
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote