Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Pentheon
Team Captain

Member Number: 7606
Default Bengals are "playing to win"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

haha ochocinco is funny as hell but the good thing is marvin lewis told him they are playing to win. Don't give up on our chances of the Pats and Bengals winning.

With them struggling lately, I don't see why they wouldn't play their starters.

Pentheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921
Default Re: Bengals are "playing to win"

I can't see them playing starters past half time. Especially if pats win earlier. I think they'd rather take their chances with a rookie QB than Ben.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Fighting for the 3rd seed against New England I see both teams playing their starters and fighting to win the game.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,004 Times in 3,037 Posts

loosely translated this means they are playing to win (in the playoffs). they will scout the jets playing their hardest, throw the game while showing nothing, and play them again the following week with a real game plan and real starters.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Honestly, maybe they do play the whole game to try and get the win just to have some semblance of confidence. Otherwise, they go into the playoffs losing 3 out of 4, with the only teams they've beaten since Nov. 15 being the Chiefs, Lions and Raiders.

... ugh. That actually makes me a lot more skeptical about Cincinnati's chances of winning even if they DON'T rest their starters.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048

The Raiders beat the Bengals.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
loosely translated this means they are playing to win (in the playoffs). they will scout the jets playing their hardest, throw the game while showing nothing, and play them again the following week with a real game plan and real starters.
Either way I would expect to see a very vanilla game plan from Cincinnati...they won't want to show too much in the chance that they have to play the Jets in the wildcard round. Larry Johnson will probably get a majority of the carries as they want to rest Benson up...but I wouldn't say that's a big drop off talent-wise. I would say that Carson plays deep into the 3rd quarter as he hasn't been particularly sharp this season and could use a tune-up. Ocho's come out and said that he wants to play the whole game. Domata Peko will be playing for the first time since he got injured, so he'll probably get a good amount of snaps just to get back into the swing of things.

I don't think the main concern will be whether or not the starters play (I think they will, and for a good amount of time). I think the main concern should be Cincy's motivation. At best this is a battle for seeding for the Bengals, where as it's pretty much a playoff game for the Jets. It'll be hard for the Bengals to match the Jets intensity based on that fact alone. Add to that the fact that the Bengals will probably run with a very basic game plan, and it'll be tough to for them to beat the Jets. I think the key to the game will be turnovers...if Sanchez starts making mistakes then the Bengals could pull it out.

On the bright side, it is the Bengals' first prime time game of the season, and seeing as they just found out that none of them made the Pro Bowl, the motivational factor could be there. Should be interesting.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Fighting for the 3rd seed against New England I see both teams playing their starters and fighting to win the game.
If NE wins at 1 pm, they lock up the #3 seed. If they lose, it probably won't matter to the Steelers if the Bengals win or not.

Bengals won't be fighting for anything except to play the Jets in Round 1 instead of the Ravens. The question is, "Is that worth fighting for?"
Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,026 Times in 412 Posts

Ochocinco wants to play. At least we'll be amused
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
SteelerForever
Water Boy

Member Number: 15717

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post
If NE wins at 1 pm, they lock up the #3 seed. If they lose, it probably won't matter to the Steelers if the Bengals win or not.

Bengals won't be fighting for anything except to play the Jets in Round 1 instead of the Ravens. The question is, "Is that worth fighting for?"
This is not necessarily true!! The tiebreaker that will decide 3rd seed is the strength of victory. The Patriots currently have the lead in that tiebreaker but if the Steelers are still alive and needing a Bengal win to make the playoffs the there is a chance the tiebreaker has swayed over to the Bengals.

As of now the Patriots have a 4 game lead heading into the final week of the season.If the Steelers are still alive both Pittsburgh and Baltimore had to win. Since the Bengals beat each of these teams twice they quickly pick up 4 wins whereas the Patriots only pick up 1. If the Browns beat the Jags and the Colts beat the Bills the Bengals would actually have a 1 game lead heading into the final 2 games.

The final games that would ultimately decide this tiebreaker would be :

KC at Denver
GB at Arizona

vs

Tenn at Seattle
New Orleans at Carolina

If the Bengals keep pace in these 2 games they would be playing for the 3rd seed when they play the Jets. Steeler fans need to cheer for KC,GB, Seattle and New Orleans. If just 2 of these teams wins the Bengals could still be the 3 seed and moving their game to the night game could actually help us because the Bengals would know all the variables!!!!

I know I am asking for alot but all the games are very possible. Keep the Faith!!!!!!!!!!
SteelerForever is offline   Reply With Quote