Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-30-2006, 06:11 PM   #11
NMHawkFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1367
Default Re: Reasons Seattle will win are curious....

Facts and stats are fine and people will generally quote them until they are blue in the face. I have no doubt the Steelers will come out rolling for the win...however, so will the Seahawks. Fans on both sides are convinced of their respective teams' victory and that too is great. Anything can happen in the Superbowl!!!!! It's almost the same ordeal as the Patriots vs. Rams SB where all the stats and facts proved on paper that the Rams were the better team and we all know what happened there. For example.....Steelers lost to the Bengals at home when Ben tossed 3 INT's...but then you guys spank the Bengals bad at their house in the playoffs. Point is, stats and facts are fine but warfare is fought in the trenches and this weekend is hopefully a tight fought SB with no injuries and solid gameplans.

Hat off to the Steelers for an amazing run and good luck this weekend!

GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NMHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:15 PM   #12
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCod Steel Head
Nice post! I notice there haven't been any Seahag rebuttals yet.
Thanks!

I don't know what rebuttals there could possibly be. Seattle is a very good team, but the Steelers have played many very good teams this year. They beat Chicago when Chicago was on a 6 game win streak....then followed that up by going on the road to beat Minnesota when the Vikings had won 6 in a row.....then went on the road to take out the 3 top seeds in the AFC.

Seattle has a nice QB....but certainly no better than Ben.

Seattle has a very good running game....but Alexander has not shown much in the playoffs so far.

Seattle's defense is certainly inferior to the Steelers.

There just isn't much to point to for Seattle where one can say, "See, this is where Seattle has the decided edge." They might win. I will grant them this. But to talk smack is just silly. It makes the person talking that smack look a tid bit mentally challenged.

Pittsburgh is riding high....and will win this game. 31-20.
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
NMHawkFan
Water Boy

I will give the Steelers the edge on defense considering ours has not played the 3 teams you guys played in the playoffs. Stopping Washington was certainly a joke and Carolina was so one-dimensional all we had to do was shut down Smith and it was over. I do think that Seattle's defense is better than some people think. Chicago and the Giants both tried to shut down Smith and they failed miserably where Seattle blanked him.

I give the edge to Seattle on offense. During the playoffs everyone talked about how the Steelers defense shut down the Bengals, Colts and Broncos (which they did and I am not the type that lays fault on Palmer getting hurt was the reason). But at the same time they all kept talking about how tough the Redskin defense was and how hard the Panthers will hit us. Fact is, our o-line totally dominated both of those "high powered" defenses. We lost Alexander in the Redskin game and Hasselbeck took over and picked the Redskins apart proving we are not completely relying on Shaun to win it for us. Carolina had the big bad Peppers and the Lucas nightmare in the secondary and we again, destroyed them. No matter how bad Carolina's offense was...our offense still moved the ball at will against their defense.

Anyway, just some "friendly" conversation with this week's ENEMY, lol!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
NMHawkFan
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteelerFan

Seattle has a very good running game....but Alexander has not shown much in the playoffs so far.

Well we cannot count the first game since he was out in the beginning but the game against Carolina he had 132 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns.....not exactly something to sneeze at.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:38 PM   #15
seahawksfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
good facts. seattle fans are breaking out their smack and the steelerfans are breaking out stats and facts. if seattle is relying on the no respect card to get them through they are in for a rude awakenning. if that really worked the cardinals and bengals would be in the sb every year.

to piggy back offa one of suits stats: average steeler lineman =311 lbs
average seahawk d lineman= 280lbs

giving up 31 lbs/person

whoa!
Whoa. Facts don't win games. Heart, determination and a burning desire to win; that's why the Seahawks have dumped you nay sayers along the wayside on their way to the SB. Believe me, your Steelers aren't taking the Seahawks for granted. Both Bettis and Hines on NFL.com today said as much. Cowler, too. The guys who know, the guys who will put all out on the field, will determine the outcome. Statistics do nothing except work within a computer to predict behavior.

So, if it feels good to bring out statistics card keep feeling good because come Sunday you wont have anything left to take the sting off a SB defeat. Unless, of course, it's to make excuses for why the Seahawks triumphed.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
seahawksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,204 Times in 2,670 Posts

in the past 2 years pittsburgh has had the best d. last year by numbers, this year by results. if you average it out the steelers were pretty much on top for 2 years. the steelers offense practices against this every day and even they admit it has helped them become a more efficient unit. carolina and washington are good, just not as good as the steelers. this steelers team is battle tested, where as the seahawks d has flown under the radar and been overshadowed bu a great offense. an offense the steelers are built to shut down.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:41 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,204 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksfan
Whoa. Facts don't win games. Heart, determination and a burning desire to win; that's why the Seahawks have dumped you nay sayers along the wayside on their way to the SB. Believe me, your Steelers aren't taking the Seahawks for granted. Both Bettis and Hines on NFL.com today said as much. Cowler, too. The guys who know, the guys who will put all out on the field, will determine the outcome.
why do you think alot of steelerfans are so confident? its not because of stats, its the very same intangibles you mentionned.

advantage steelers.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #18
seahawksfan
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHawkFan
I will give the Steelers the edge on defense considering ours has not played the 3 teams you guys played in the playoffs. Stopping Washington was certainly a joke and Carolina was so one-dimensional all we had to do was shut down Smith and it was over. I do think that Seattle's defense is better than some people think. Chicago and the Giants both tried to shut down Smith and they failed miserably where Seattle blanked him.

I give the edge to Seattle on offense. During the playoffs everyone talked about how the Steelers defense shut down the Bengals, Colts and Broncos (which they did and I am not the type that lays fault on Palmer getting hurt was the reason). But at the same time they all kept talking about how tough the Redskin defense was and how hard the Panthers will hit us. Fact is, our o-line totally dominated both of those "high powered" defenses. We lost Alexander in the Redskin game and Hasselbeck took over and picked the Redskins apart proving we are not completely relying on Shaun to win it for us. Carolina had the big bad Peppers and the Lucas nightmare in the secondary and we again, destroyed them. No matter how bad Carolina's offense was...our offense still moved the ball at will against their defense.

Anyway, just some "friendly" conversation with this week's ENEMY, lol!!!!!!!!!!

The Steelers will be the toughest defense we've faced this year. We did have 3-4 experience 4x this past year (49'ers x 2, Texans, Cowboys). Granted, the Steeler D has a higher caliber player than these teams. So, the Seahawk defense bends, doesn't break. The offense has to bring a balanced attack. Do it well. Do it better than The Steelers offense. Minimize mistakes. Special teams play keeps the big play from breaking out.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #19
seahawksfan
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
in the past 2 years pittsburgh has had the best d. last year by numbers, this year by results. if you average it out the steelers were pretty much on top for 2 years. the steelers offense practices against this every day and even they admit it has helped them become a more efficient unit. carolina and washington are good, just not as good as the steelers. this steelers team is battle tested, where as the seahawks d has flown under the radar and been overshadowed bu a great offense. an offense the steelers are built to shut down.
An "under the radar" defense is why Steeler fans don't understand what is coming. I like this match up for so many reasons...two great teams, coaches from both sides have ties from the past, our defense, your resurgence over the later half of the season, Bettis back home...then the passion of this board.

I love this game!

Old 01-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #20
ZornToLargent
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteelerFan
Howdy all. My first post. Been around here reading the posts for a few weeks and just thought it was time to drop in. Should be a fun week as we prepare to watch our Steelers play in the Super Bowl for the first time in a decade!

Having been checking out several boards recently, I have found it funny to read the reasons Seattle fans think the Seahawks will win. They have a better record....they were a #1 seed....they have a better running back.....etc. Surely they have to have something more to fall back on that this!

FACT: Pittsburgh lost 5 games while Seattle lost 3. BUT...only 2 with Ben healthy. Maddox lost 2 and they lost to Indy after Ben returned from 4 games off. If Ben were healthy, Steelers beat Jacksonville and Baltimore, finish 13-3, win the north and are probably the #2 seed.

FACT: Steelers ended the season with the 5th ranked Strength of Schedule. Seattle finished with the 30th ranked SOS. Only the Bears and Packers faced teams with fewer wins. Seattle has not beaten a team with a winning record since Nov. 27 (gotta subtract the Colts since they rested most of their team)

FACT: Steelers beat the #1, #2 and #3 seeds....on the road. Seattle beat the #5 and #6 seeds....at home. The Seahawks have not played a team as good as the Steelers all year. The Steelers have beaten two teams in the past two weeks who are arguably both better than the Seahawks.

FACT: Seattle has one victory against a team that went on to win its division. (Colts don't count. They rested most of their starters). Steelers have beaten 3 in the past 3 weeks...and have 5 wins this season against teams who would win their division.

FACT: Shaun Alexander has 40 post season carries.....23 for no game or loss. Now he faces one of the NFL's most overpowering run defenses.

FACT: Steelers have held its last 3 opponets to WELL below their rushing averages. Cincy averaged 119.4 for the year. They got 84 vs. Pitts. Colts averaged 106.4 for the year. They got 58 vs. Pitt. Broncos entered the game with the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the NFL with 158.7 for year. They got 97.

FACT: Steelers have not allowed more than 105 yards rushing in any of its past 7 games....and are allowing only 76.5 yards/game during this 7-0 win streak.

Seattle is a good team, no doubt. But if you want to predict a victory, try doing it with logical facts that are not so easily picked apart!

Seattle has 4 sacks over its past 2 games. Steelers have 12 over its past three. The Steelers front 7 are a much more imposing group. The Seahawks have gone 15-32 on 3rd down conversions over the past 2 games. The key to Seattle's success during the playoffs has been the ability to keep the opponents from converting 3rd downs. Washington and Carolina went a combined 6 for 28. The Steelers have converted 22 of its 41 3rd down conversions. The problem for Seattle is that the Steelers will convert 3rd downs. They have done it regularly during this 7-0 win streak. If Seattle cannot hold the Steelers to 30% or so on 3rd downs (and they don't have the secondary to do this), then they are in a world of trouble. There are FAR more reasons to why the Steelers should win this game than there are why the Seahawks should.

At any rate....glad to be around here.....and here's to winning one for the thumb!

Steelers 31 Seahawks 20
Yeah, stats shmats. What stats will you use after the butt whooping the Seahawks are gonna give your Steelers on Sunday?

When are you Steelers gonna realize that the score is 0-0, nothing to nothing and all the marbles are at stake. If you keep hanging on to the past with your stats. If you think because this is our break out year with nothing in the past to look at or reference, this gives your team the benefit...well, that is the way we like it. If you think our strength of schedule is indicative of our team?.that?s awesome! That will make the butt whooping against the Steelers that easier because we will catch your guys sleeping. You Steelers fans hold on tight to this false hope and sense of security. After your team is watching Hasselbeck and Holmgren accepting the Lombardi trophy, past stats will be all you have left....and the wonder of where it all went so wrong.
ZornToLargent is offline   Reply With Quote