Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-31-2006, 08:51 AM   #51
NMHawkFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 1367
Default Re: Reasons Seattle will win are curious....

How about we all just hope for an exciting and nailbiting game and then afterwards we all go and hang Skip Bayless and pelt him with Hawk/Steeler souveniers.
NMHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:55 AM   #52
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust-Buster
I picked apart the stats that started this thread
Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Let's just put it this way...if Seattle was still in the AFC, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:24 AM   #53
Steve_Courson's_Liver
Water Boy

Member Number: 1673

This has all the makings of a blow out...but I would not bet on it. On paper, it looks like a mismatch, but the seahawks are the NFC champs, I am sure they will come to play.

I am hoping for one of those classic Superbowls where it is so lopsided you can start celebrating at half time. I had enough drama in the Indy game.

Steve_Courson's_Liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #54
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust-Buster
You guys remind me of the old Saturday Night Live routine with the Bears fans going over and over stats and hypothetical situations in which every joke ends in "Da Bears"
I picked apart the stats that started this thread, I don't see anything in your stats that guarantees a win. If the Steelers are so good, why did they have to go on the road to get to the SuperBowl? I hear alot of excuses about injuries and how you guys are arriving together at the right time. So are the Hawks. The Seahawks are a solid team, and play like a complete unit. As far as the defense goes, it's good enough to win. When Holgrem was resting the offense in the lop sided wins against the Eagles and Indy, and the loss against Green Bay, he left the defense in so they could get better. The Hawks defense played injured all season, but they are all back now for this game except for Ken Hamlin.
Check out how the Hawks defense does in the redzone. You can run up and down all day the field all day if you want, but getting into the endzone, that's the paycheck baby. Seattle 27, Steelers 20.
You picked apart the stats? uh.....no.

You commented on the Steelers 2 losses without Ben, but did nothing to discredit the information. You then added some stuff about Jackson. This is not "picking" apart.

You commented on SOS and then attempted to make it look better for the Seahawks. You tried to spin....but did not pick apart. See, there is a 19 game differential between the wins of the Steeler opponents and the Seahawks opponents when we look as JUST the regular season. BUT....when it is known that counting playoff opponents, Seahawk opponents have 130 wins while the Steeler opponents have 164 wins. This is NOT 19.....this is 34. Again, this is not "picking" apart.

Then you made this statement:

Quote:
You say we can't count the Colt's win because they rested their starters. They played their starters in the first quarter, and we outscored them 14-3. We rested our starters in the second half and still beat them.
This is a COMPLETELY INACCURATE STATEMENT!

1. The score at the end of the first quarter was 7-3....NOT 14-3. When Manning left the game, it was still 7-3. Sorgi played the entire 2nd quarter and the rest of the game.

2. Seattle did NOT rest their starters in the second half. Shaun Alexander scored the games final TD with 4:02 left......in the 4th quarter. Other starters who played the whole game? Matt Hasselbeck. He was the ONLY Seattle QB to play that day. Jeremy Stevens was also still playing in the 4th. Seattle might have begun to rest starters when they were up 28-6 but it didn't happen any sooner than this.

On Alexander. He had 6 carries for 9 yards in the Washington game. A game he played almost the entire first quarter and one in which he had done absolutely nothing by the time he got the concussion. Against Carolina, he had 34 rushes for 132 yards. Not bad. However, when you consider Alexander produced 5.1 yards/carry throughout the year and even that days effort left him with a 3.9 yds/carry ave. I would say he was STILL underproducing. So, we have 40 carries for 141 yards. This is a 3.5/yard average in the playoffs when compared to 5.1 for the regular season.

I don't have any idea where Delhomme's QB rating was BEFORE last week. Based on the inaccurate information you provided, I doubt he was the highest. What I do KNOW now is that Seattle is facing the QB with the highest rating in Big Ben. Ben is at 124.8.....Hasselbeck is at 108.9. To end the regular season, Big Ben was still ahead, albeit slightly ahead of Hasselbeck, 98.8 to 98.2....and was way ahead of Delhomme who finished the year with an 88.1. Also, lets remember what the Steelers did to Manning who finished the year with a 104.1 rating, ranked first among QB's with 10 or more games.

Rust-Buster....you didn't pick apart the stats. You tried to spin them to fit your purposes. When the truth be known, Seattle fans still don't have much to talk smack about. Seattle is a very good team and they have a defense that has been good enough to win, as you said. But, it has been good enough to win over some mediocre competition, both regular season and in the playoffs. The Steelers are by far the best team Seattle has played all year. The Steelers, on the other hand, have played two teams in the past two weeks that are probably better than the Seahawks. Steelers will be ready to go......you are what stands between them and the one for the thumb!
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:59 AM   #55
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

[QUOTE=ColoradoSteelerFan]
On Alexander. He had 6 carries for 9 yards in the Washington game. A game he played almost the entire first quarter and one in which he had done absolutely nothing by the time he got the concussion. Against Carolina, he had 34 rushes for 132 yards. Not bad. However, when you consider Alexander produced 5.1 yards/carry throughout the year and even that days effort left him with a 3.9 yds/carry ave. I would say he was STILL underproducing. So, we have 40 carries for 141 yards. This is a 3.5/yard average in the playoffs when compared to 5.1 for the regular season.

QUOTE]

To shed some nuinaced light on this... Using the west coast offense, Seattle almost always uses the pass to set up the run. The scripted opening plays of the quarter are always heavy on the pass. For sure, Alexander was not getting far on the few carries he had. The Skins were well prepared for the typical Seahawk scheme. But thats when Seattle made the adjustment. They were covering the pass and run but they were leaving Hasselbeck open. Thats when he made the adjustment and started scrambling. And led the team to victory in spite of losing Alexander.

But oh yeah, I forgot, Hasselbeck is a lousy QB who can't make reads, falters under pressure, and can't scramble. (I am not saying you said that CSF, I've been reading that a lot elsewhere). I hope thats what your defense thinks about him.

Also, I don't have stats to back this up, but it always has seemed to me that Alexander is the type of back that will get 8 one to two yards gains and then bust out with a 20 to 30 yarder. I would guess his average gain has a pretty significant negative skew.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:16 AM   #56
millertime83
Water Boy

Member Number: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZornToLargent
And you need to stop coddling yourself with posts like this.

Seattle is on one....your team better get out of the way. It will be a fight to the end.

If anyone has an "us against the world" mentality and reason for it, it's the 'Hawks. We have been dissed (and I understand why) for 30 years. It is time to rectify that, and that time is this Sunday. Sorry, but the Steelers are not against the world, the world is on your side this time. Y'all are the favorites. Believe me, it's the Seahawks against the world, not the Steelers.

You really should take some of your own advice. Like you mentioned, stats don't mean anything for the game on Sunday, but now all of a sudden you want to state how it's the world against Seattle. Tell me exactly how that will help the Seachickens come Sunday. Also, the bottom line is about lining up and playing football and I hope the Seachickens are ready to get punched in the mouth because this will be a physical battle!
millertime83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:20 AM   #57
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Hmmmpf! Someone just got owned!
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:16 PM   #58
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

Any team or fan that regards Hasselback and Seattle as an easy win is foolin themselves. But I agree da Steelers are a physical team and do know how to beat opponents into submission. Porter has a sniper scope for QBs it seems. He don't care who he has to go thru to get there. Tide should pick him up as a spokesman since he gives so many QBs grass stains. If da seahawks want to get yards down da field they gonna have to be able to hold off da pressure on Hasselback better than did da colts and da broncos. Also look for Polumalo because he is omnipresent on D and will find ways to trip up receivers and make interceptions. Peace.

BuFu
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:21 PM   #59
seahawksfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by millertime83
You really should take some of your own advice. Like you mentioned, stats don't mean anything for the game on Sunday, but now all of a sudden you want to state how it's the world against Seattle. Tell me exactly how that will help the Seachickens come Sunday. Also, the bottom line is about lining up and playing football and I hope the Seachickens are ready to get punched in the mouth because this will be a physical battle!
Physical battle? No problem, bring it on...

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
seahawksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:21 PM   #60
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660

To shed some nuinaced light on this... Using the west coast offense, Seattle almost always uses the pass to set up the run. The scripted opening plays of the quarter are always heavy on the pass. For sure, Alexander was not getting far on the few carries he had. The Skins were well prepared for the typical Seahawk scheme. But thats when Seattle made the adjustment. They were covering the pass and run but they were leaving Hasselbeck open. Thats when he made the adjustment and started scrambling. And led the team to victory in spite of losing Alexander.

But oh yeah, I forgot, Hasselbeck is a lousy QB who can't make reads, falters under pressure, and can't scramble. (I am not saying you said that CSF, I've been reading that a lot elsewhere). I hope thats what your defense thinks about him.

Also, I don't have stats to back this up, but it always has seemed to me that Alexander is the type of back that will get 8 one to two yards gains and then bust out with a 20 to 30 yarder. I would guess his average gain has a pretty significant negative skew.[/QUOTE]

People saying Hasselbeck is a lousy QB who can't make reads, falters under pressure and can't scramble are about as ignorant as the Seahawk fans who prompted me to start this thread. Hasselbeck is a great QB and arguably the best QB in the NFC all year. He has made the most of what he has and proved in the Washington game that he doesn't need Alexander to win. That being said, against a defense like Pittsburgh he is going to need Alexander to win. If Hasselbeck is forced to pass as the game goes along, thing are not going to be good for Seattle. The Steeler secondary has been playing amazingly well during this 7-0 win streak. The team has 12 sacks and many, if not a majority must be credited as cover sacks. No one to pass to. Kitna ran around all second half looking for someone to pass to and couldn't find them. Manning had little time and when he did he had difficulty finding open guys (did you see McFaddon's play on Wayne at the end of the game?) And Jake the snake, one of the better scramblers, found himself harassed and flushed out all day.

During the 7-0 win streak, the Steeler's defense has held the opposing passer to at or below their average in completion percentage and yards per attempt. Really, Plummer is the only QB to be near his average. If Alexander can run, things will be looking very good for Seattle....if he can't they won't be. The Steelers secondary is good enough to keep Hasselbeck tied up all day....the question is whether Seattle's is good enough to keep Roethlisberger off-balance.
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote