Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-31-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238
Default 4-3 Defense

How good could we be in a 4-3 D? I think if we let Hampton walk after the season, that's the way we go, and I like the idea. Take a look.

DT: Aaron Smith, Ziggy Hood

DE: Woodley, Kiesel (Woodley would be moving back to his natural position)

OLB: Harrison, Timmons (Timmons back to his natural 4-3 OLB position, where I believe Tomlin drafted him to be at anyways)

MLB: Fox/Farrior? (Farrior is again quickly and Fox has proven to be a solid player, hopefully we will get another solid MLB in the draft)

I think we would get more pressure with a four man line, because right now folks, our defense is not getting much pressure at all. It would also make it a lot easier on our below average secondary. I really believe this is the way our team is headed.
SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: 4-3 Defense

I don't think the personnell we have on defense would allow us to play the 4-3.

Woodley is not big or quick enough to play DE in the 4-3. Harrison is not a 4-3 LB'er either.

I think we maximize the pressure we are going to get in a 3-4 because we put Harrison and Woodley in the right situations. I have a feeling that if we went to a 4-3 that the results would be worse than what we are already seeing on defense.

Let Troy get healthy, get a new CB to replace Gay, and our 3-4 defense will be fine.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238

You make some good points about the personnel. However, I disagree with you. Woodley is definitely big enough at 270 lbs, he is bigger than most 4-3 DEs. He is an OLB, so I think he is quick enough to play DE. You may be right about Harrison. He may not be a good enough athlete to play a 4-3 OLB, so what can ya do? Move him to the other DE postion. He blitzes 90% of the time anyways in our 3-4 scheme. That would be a scary tandem of DEs. I think Timmons would really thrive in the 4-3 system as well. Remember, Tomlin spent time with the Buccs where Derrick Brooks thrived in the 4-3 when they won the super bowl. Timmons is just as good of an athlete as Brooks, and that's why Tomlin wanted Timmons.
SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 AM   #4
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain0815 View Post
You make some good points about the personnel. However, I disagree with you. Woodley is definitely big enough at 270 lbs, he is bigger than most 4-3 DEs. He is an OLB, so I think he is quick enough to play DE. You may be right about Harrison. He may not be a good enough athlete to play a 4-3 OLB, so what can ya do? Move him to the other DE postion. He blitzes 90% of the time anyways in our 3-4 scheme. That would be a scary tandem of DEs. I think Timmons would really thrive in the 4-3 system as well. Remember, Tomlin spent time with the Buccs where Derrick Brooks thrived in the 4-3 when they won the super bowl. Timmons is just as good of an athlete as Brooks, and that's why Tomlin wanted Timmons.
I brought this up a few days back. I think Tomlin is leaning that way. What gives me reservations is the depth factor. Who do we line up behind these guys? We need depth no matter,3-4 or 4-3 we need some beasts. The other thing is Lebeau. I just wonder how he would react to going 4-3. Would he retire? That would be a BIG loss.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:26 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Every year I hear that we maybe be switching to the 4-3. Why? Because that was what Tomlin developed from?

Look at our drafts. We drafted 2 LB's in the mid 200 pound range and a 300 pound DT that we are moving out to DE.

That is a focused 3-4 defensive draft.

Otherwise, you pick up Woodely OR Timmons, and then another DE that is a bit smaller, or another DT that is another 20 pounds heavier.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Every year I hear that we maybe be switching to the 4-3. Why? Because that was what Tomlin developed from?

Look at our drafts. We drafted 2 LB's in the mid 200 pound range and a 300 pound DT that we are moving out to DE.

That is a focused 3-4 defensive draft.

Otherwise, you pick up Woodely OR Timmons, and then another DE that is a bit smaller, or another DT that is another 20 pounds heavier.
See, that's the problem. They don't really have those. There's like one a year in the draft, and now they all get snapped up in the top 10. Finding one in free agency -- or keeping your own free agent -- costs $10 million a year. The copycatters have made it really hard to draft or sign a 3-4 nose tackle, and that really impacts things for us.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM   #7
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

Finding 1 nose tackle is a heckuva lot easier than finding 2 DTs.
And as Preacher pointed out, we haven't shown any indication of moving that way.

It may appear that our 3-4 hasn't been getting any pressure this year, but the stats don't bear that out. We have 44 sacks on the year. 1st in the AFC and 2nd in the league.
We were forced to bring less heavy blitzes due to the loss of Smith and Polamalu, else we might've been able to set a new team record this year.

Last edited by GoSlash27; 12-31-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: *correction*
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Woodley was a LB at Michigan until his senior season. It dont matter what the front 7 play the back 4 need to be better.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
ljk2442
Water Boy

Member Number: 10010

"Finding 1 nose tackle is a heckuva lot easier than finding 2 DTs.
And as Preacher pointed out, we haven't shown any indication of moving that way."

I totally disagree, how many colleges run a 3-4 defense? And plus we are teaching ziggy hood a new position right now at DE, he was a DT in college.... Every LB, or DT we draft we have to teach them a new position... almost every person on our D has been taught a new postion I.E.... Timmons OLB to ILB, Hood from DT to 3-4 DE, Woodley DE to OLB...

But with that being said, I like the 3-4... we stuff the run yearly with it.. And our Pass D is dominant whenwe get to the QB...

We need to bolster the secondary and we will be fine... AND FIND a new ILB to take over Farrior
ljk2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

Quote:
I totally disagree, how many colleges run a 3-4 defense?
And how many of those college 4-3 linemen are big enough to play that position in the NFL?
That's *why* the 3-4 is so much easier to scout/ maintain. The draft is full of guys that are too small for the 4-3, but perfect for the 3-4. And the learning curve is a big factor no matter what. LeBeau's defense is so intricate that everybody has to re-learn how to play their position regardless of their prior experience.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote