Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660
Default Reasons Seattle will win are curious....

Howdy all. My first post. Been around here reading the posts for a few weeks and just thought it was time to drop in. Should be a fun week as we prepare to watch our Steelers play in the Super Bowl for the first time in a decade!

Having been checking out several boards recently, I have found it funny to read the reasons Seattle fans think the Seahawks will win. They have a better record....they were a #1 seed....they have a better running back.....etc. Surely they have to have something more to fall back on that this!

FACT: Pittsburgh lost 5 games while Seattle lost 3. BUT...only 2 with Ben healthy. Maddox lost 2 and they lost to Indy after Ben returned from 4 games off. If Ben were healthy, Steelers beat Jacksonville and Baltimore, finish 13-3, win the north and are probably the #2 seed.

FACT: Steelers ended the season with the 5th ranked Strength of Schedule. Seattle finished with the 30th ranked SOS. Only the Bears and Packers faced teams with fewer wins. Seattle has not beaten a team with a winning record since Nov. 27 (gotta subtract the Colts since they rested most of their team)

FACT: Steelers beat the #1, #2 and #3 seeds....on the road. Seattle beat the #5 and #6 seeds....at home. The Seahawks have not played a team as good as the Steelers all year. The Steelers have beaten two teams in the past two weeks who are arguably both better than the Seahawks.

FACT: Seattle has one victory against a team that went on to win its division. (Colts don't count. They rested most of their starters). Steelers have beaten 3 in the past 3 weeks...and have 5 wins this season against teams who would win their division.

FACT: Shaun Alexander has 40 post season carries.....23 for no game or loss. Now he faces one of the NFL's most overpowering run defenses.

FACT: Steelers have held its last 3 opponets to WELL below their rushing averages. Cincy averaged 119.4 for the year. They got 84 vs. Pitts. Colts averaged 106.4 for the year. They got 58 vs. Pitt. Broncos entered the game with the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the NFL with 158.7 for year. They got 97.

FACT: Steelers have not allowed more than 105 yards rushing in any of its past 7 games....and are allowing only 76.5 yards/game during this 7-0 win streak.

Seattle is a good team, no doubt. But if you want to predict a victory, try doing it with logical facts that are not so easily picked apart!

Seattle has 4 sacks over its past 2 games. Steelers have 12 over its past three. The Steelers front 7 are a much more imposing group. The Seahawks have gone 15-32 on 3rd down conversions over the past 2 games. The key to Seattle's success during the playoffs has been the ability to keep the opponents from converting 3rd downs. Washington and Carolina went a combined 6 for 28. The Steelers have converted 22 of its 41 3rd down conversions. The problem for Seattle is that the Steelers will convert 3rd downs. They have done it regularly during this 7-0 win streak. If Seattle cannot hold the Steelers to 30% or so on 3rd downs (and they don't have the secondary to do this), then they are in a world of trouble. There are FAR more reasons to why the Steelers should win this game than there are why the Seahawks should.

At any rate....glad to be around here.....and here's to winning one for the thumb!

Steelers 31 Seahawks 20
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Reasons Seattle will win are curious....

NICE post...here's some more facts and figures.

* Of the top 6 tacklers for the Seahawks, 4 of them are defensive backs.
* Only two defensive linemen are in the top 11 in tackles.
* Only backup DT Marcus Tubbs is over 300 pounds.
* The Hawks starting front four are Grant Winstrom (272 pounds), Rocky Bernard (293 pounds), Chartric Darby (270 pounds), and Bryce Fisher (268 pounds).
* Tatapu is thier defensive stud, but he is 5'11"-238 pounds.
* Kevin Bentley is their thickest LB at 6'-245.
* While their run defense only gives up 3.6 YPC, here are some of the offenses they faced: Ari (2), Houston (1), Atl (1), San Fran (2), Philly (1), Tenn (1), Indy (1-sitting people), GB (1). In 10 games, these teams either lacked a running game or chose to throw.
* The other 6 games had backs run for: Tiki Barber (26-151), Steven Jackson (17-70 & 17-77), Marion Barber (22-95), Clinton Portis (25-90), and Fred Taylor (20-76).
* In the playoffs, Carolina lacked a running game and Seattle gameplanned to stop Portis and make Brunell beat them.
* At safety, they have former college linebacker Boulware playing strong safety and Marquand Manuel, the former Bengal, at free safety.
* Marcus Trufant and Andre Dyson play corner, but Boulware leads the team in INTs with 4. Trufant and Dyson have 1 all season.
* The Seahawks defense allows more passing yards than their offense gets.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
TexaSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 896

Ok, I'll buy that.
TexaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,874 Times in 4,501 Posts

good facts. seattle fans are breaking out their smack and the steelerfans are breaking out stats and facts. if seattle is relying on the no respect card to get them through they are in for a rude awakenning. if that really worked the cardinals and bengals would be in the sb every year.

to piggy back offa one of suits stats: average steeler lineman =311 lbs
average seahawk d lineman= 280lbs

giving up 31 lbs/person

whoa!

Last edited by tony hipchest; 01-30-2006 at 06:49 PM.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Well Thought Out. To The Point. How About Some Points. Colorado And Suit Both.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Great thoughts from all of you... Nice job !

That being said, they're gonna come out fighting with all they got, so we have to be ready.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Hey, I never said Seattle wasn't a quality opponent. It's not easy to win 15 games in a season, even with a weak schedule in a weaker conference. But I do have them ranked as the the #3 team power-wise that we have faced, and we beat #1, #2 and #4 fairly convincingly (The Colts game with even HS quality refs was a 28-10 Steelers win).

Can the Seattle Seahawks win the Super Bowl? Of course! Will they? I doubt it...something tells me many, if not most of their players are just happy to be in the big game. But, you know, hey, I was wrong about two of the ten playoff games so far, so my .800 winning percentage isn't perfect.

As for a prediction, I'm standing firm on a 30-20 Steelers win. We're averaging a litle less than 30 against better defenses than Seattle, so 30 minimum.

Last edited by Suitanim; 01-30-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
ColoradoSteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1660

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786
Well Thought Out. To The Point. How About Some Points. Colorado And Suit Both.
Muchas gracias!

I am sick of hearing this crap from Seattle fans. I cannot for the life of me believe they are talking smack! They have a nice team that has had a nice run, but come on!

....but so did the Bengals......DONE.
....and the Colts (remember 13-0?)......DONE.
....and the Broncos (14-3).........DONE.

Seattle beat a Redskins team that really shouldn't have been in the playoffs and a Carolina team that had been playing way above their heads for a long time....and they got to do it all at home. Pittsburgh has team that appears to have defied the odds stacked against them. Seattle has benefitted from a weak schedule and a weeker conference. The Steelers went through a MUCH more difficult AFC, with a much more difficult schedule and did it on the road.
ColoradoSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Cape Cod Steel Head
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteelerFan
Howdy all. My first post. Been around here reading the posts for a few weeks and just thought it was time to drop in. Should be a fun week as we prepare to watch our Steelers play in the Super Bowl for the first time in a decade!

Having been checking out several boards recently, I have found it funny to read the reasons Seattle fans think the Seahawks will win. They have a better record....they were a #1 seed....they have a better running back.....etc. Surely they have to have something more to fall back on that this!

FACT: Pittsburgh lost 5 games while Seattle lost 3. BUT...only 2 with Ben healthy. Maddox lost 2 and they lost to Indy after Ben returned from 4 games off. If Ben were healthy, Steelers beat Jacksonville and Baltimore, finish 13-3, win the north and are probably the #2 seed.

FACT: Steelers ended the season with the 5th ranked Strength of Schedule. Seattle finished with the 30th ranked SOS. Only the Bears and Packers faced teams with fewer wins. Seattle has not beaten a team with a winning record since Nov. 27 (gotta subtract the Colts since they rested most of their team)

FACT: Steelers beat the #1, #2 and #3 seeds....on the road. Seattle beat the #5 and #6 seeds....at home. The Seahawks have not played a team as good as the Steelers all year. The Steelers have beaten two teams in the past two weeks who are arguably both better than the Seahawks.

FACT: Seattle has one victory against a team that went on to win its division. (Colts don't count. They rested most of their starters). Steelers have beaten 3 in the past 3 weeks...and have 5 wins this season against teams who would win their division.

FACT: Shaun Alexander has 40 post season carries.....23 for no game or loss. Now he faces one of the NFL's most overpowering run defenses.

FACT: Steelers have held its last 3 opponets to WELL below their rushing averages. Cincy averaged 119.4 for the year. They got 84 vs. Pitts. Colts averaged 106.4 for the year. They got 58 vs. Pitt. Broncos entered the game with the 2nd ranked rushing offense in the NFL with 158.7 for year. They got 97.

FACT: Steelers have not allowed more than 105 yards rushing in any of its past 7 games....and are allowing only 76.5 yards/game during this 7-0 win streak.

Seattle is a good team, no doubt. But if you want to predict a victory, try doing it with logical facts that are not so easily picked apart!

Seattle has 4 sacks over its past 2 games. Steelers have 12 over its past three. The Steelers front 7 are a much more imposing group. The Seahawks have gone 15-32 on 3rd down conversions over the past 2 games. The key to Seattle's success during the playoffs has been the ability to keep the opponents from converting 3rd downs. Washington and Carolina went a combined 6 for 28. The Steelers have converted 22 of its 41 3rd down conversions. The problem for Seattle is that the Steelers will convert 3rd downs. They have done it regularly during this 7-0 win streak. If Seattle cannot hold the Steelers to 30% or so on 3rd downs (and they don't have the secondary to do this), then they are in a world of trouble. There are FAR more reasons to why the Steelers should win this game than there are why the Seahawks should.

At any rate....glad to be around here.....and here's to winning one for the thumb!

Steelers 31 Seahawks 20
Nice post! I notice there haven't been any Seahag rebuttals yet.
Cape Cod Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSteelerFan
Muchas gracias!

I am sick of hearing this crap from Seattle fans. I cannot for the life of me believe they are talking smack! They have a nice team that has had a nice run, but come on!

....but so did the Bengals......DONE.
....and the Colts (remember 13-0?)......DONE.
....and the Broncos (14-3).........DONE.

Seattle beat a Redskins team that really shouldn't have been in the playoffs and a Carolina team that had been playing way above their heads for a long time....and they got to do it all at home. Pittsburgh has team that appears to have defied the odds stacked against them. Seattle has benefitted from a weak schedule and a weeker conference. The Steelers went through a MUCH more difficult AFC, with a much more difficult schedule and did it on the road.
This is a case too add more points. Bengals, Colts, Broncos. DONE. They All Kicked The Bucket on there 2005-2006 Season When The Steelers Knocked off in there house.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote