Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Shame On Any Steelers Fan Who Thinks That Pittsburghs Season Is Over

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...season-is-over

Shame On Any Steelers Fan Who Thinks That Pittsburghs Season Is Over

Timothy Kessler

Correspondent

The year was 2005. The Pittsburgh Steelers started the season with a record of 7-2, not much different than this season’s 6-2 start. They then went on a three game losing streak to bring their record to 7-5, hurting their playoff chances in the process.

Sound familiar?

They needed to win their final four games that year to capture the final spot in an extremely tight AFC playoff race.

A lot of people doubted it would happen. A lot more people said that even if they did get in, they would not go very far.

Mere weeks after being all but counted out, not only did they win their final four games… the Steelers, taking the sixth and final seed into the playoffs, became the first team ever to win a Super Bowl without playing a single home playoff game.

After becoming the first sixth seed ever to win both a divisional playoff game and a conference championship, they defeated the NFC champion Seattle Seahawks in Super Bowl XL to secure their league-tying fifth Super Bowl title.

In doing so, becoming the very first sixth seeded team to win it all… beating the AFC’s third seed, first seed, and second seed, before beating the NFC’s top rated seed.

Doubters plagued that season just the same as this. Its human nature and it is understandable. But what I can't understand is how Steelers fans themselves can give up before their team is officially out, with that season still fresh in our minds.

Have you forgotten the Steelers magic?

They showed flashes of it throughout last season, culminating in their final drive, on their way to their sixth Lombardi Trophy. Santonio Holmes’ touchdown catch was one for the ages, and every bit as magical as the immaculate reception.

And no Steelers fan can tell me that Mike Wallace’s game winning touchdown against Green Bay did not bring back memories of the Super Bowl. Nor can they tell me that the Steelers didn't have luck on their side after watching Baltimore struggle to unsuccessfully keep those six points on the board at the beginning of the fourth quarter a week ago.

The pieces are falling into place, one way or another. And I, for one, believe that anything is possible especially when considering the Steelers, who have proven over and over again that they are more than capable of bucking the odds.

I wasn't surprised to see some "so called" Steelers fans jump ship during their five game slump. Every great team has them... the bandwagon fans.

What has surprised me is why so many more fans have given up on the season before the Steelers are mathematically out. Especially now that glimpses of the magic has reappeared.

I have seen it time after time, in one article after another. Very well known and usually supportive Steelers fans have given up hope.

And although there is nothing wrong with accepting the inevitable, it is also ok to believe in something that may seem highly unlikely. It’s called having faith. We do it everyday of our lives.

What the Steelers need the most right now is support. And if they can’t get it from their own fans, who is going to give it to them? Isn't that exactly what fans are supposed to be for?

Never give up hope. Believe it can be done and it may just happen. The Pittsburgh Steelers were certainly down, but they were never out.

And so what if they are relying on other teams to get in. That is no reason to think they can't.

A holiday miracle is in the works. Keep the faith.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
#1 Big Ben Fan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14127
Default Re: Shame On Any Steelers Fan Who Thinks That Pittsburghs Season Is Over

I don't think its over as long as they have a shot then I will remain hopeful. I'm not expecting them to make it since the Steelers need a ton of help. I think we will beat the Dolphins but I don't know if the teams we need to lose will lose their games. I'm hoping they do for sure.
#1 Big Ben Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311
Default Re: Shame On Any Steelers Fan Who Thinks That Pittsburghs Season Is Over

They have been so inconsistant and underacheived this season.
Hard to see them break out of the funk anytime soon this season.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Truth is in 2005 we controlled our own playoff destiny. This year we need 2 teams to lose and us to win.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Truth is in 2005 we controlled our own playoff destiny. This year we need 2 teams to lose and us to win.
Gotta agree this isn't not 2005 again and the team is not playing now like it did then. Back in 2005 we could dominate other teams with a power running game. Now we depend on last second miracle plays to win and we will lose as many of those as we win. Oh that's right we are 8-7 aren't we? More proof as if any were needed that our current pass first crap offense is a loser. I hope we get into the playoffs but let's just say I'm not betting the house that we will. Even we get into the playoffs this team isn't good enough to go anywhere.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Not to mention 2005 wasnt a back to back SB year. This year it would of been....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Ive never thought going into a game thinking we would or could not win
Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

This is a lot worse than the '05 season, but it's about the same as the '08 Eagles season. At 9-6-1, they got to the Championship game. IF we get in (IF), maybe we can get as far? First things first though, we need the right cards to fall into place...
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
This is a lot worse than the '05 season, but it's about the same as the '08 Eagles season. At 9-6-1, they got to the Championship game. IF we get in (IF), maybe we can get as far? First things first though, we need the right cards to fall into place...
The right cards? More like drawing on an inside straight flush.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
smokin3000gt

Member Number:

As long as there is still a shot I am optimistic. For me 2004-2005 was insane with work and I wasn't able to follow the season closely so correct me if I'm wrong, but besides winning the last 4 games didn't we need help from other teams as well?