Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Goodell: NFL will look into teams sitting starters after Colts case

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Goodell: NFL will look into teams sitting starters after Colts case

Associated Press

MIAMI -- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Sunday that the competition committee will review league policy regarding late-season games in which teams might be tempted to rest their starters for the playoffs.

Goodell said the league is sensitive to criticism in the wake of the Indianapolis Colts' decision to use backups a week ago in a game they lost, ending their bid for a perfect season.

"It is something we'll look at," Goodell said. "We heard the fans loud and clear. It's something our competition committee has looked at in the past, but we're going to ask our competition committee to look at it again in the future. We want every game to be competitive."

The league's position has been that playoff-bound teams enjoy the right to rest their starters to prepare for the playoffs.

The Colts already had clinched home-field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs when coach Jim Caldwell sat quarterback Peyton Manning and other starters in the second half, and the New York Jets rallied to win. NFL purists were upset that the Colts didn't go all-out with a shot at a perfect season.

"We want to make sure the integrity of the NFL is first and foremost in everyone's mind and try to find ways to make sure our games are competitive at all points in the season, including the preseason," Goodell said.

The commissioner spoke before the game between the Miami Dolphins and Pittsburgh Steelers. He was in Miami to take part in an 80th birthday celebration for former Dolphins coach Don Shula, who won two Super Bowls and an NFL-record 347 games.

"He's an extraordinary guy," Goodell said. "You don't like to define people in terms of numbers. But when you talk about 347, you talk about two Super Bowls, and now he has added 80 to that list -- he's a special guy to the NFL, and we're proud of everything he has done."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634
Default Re: Goodell: NFL will look into teams sitting starters after Colts case

I don't know what he can do. It is their right to play whoever they want.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,008 Times in 380 Posts

See the sig.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
"We want to make sure the integrity of the NFL is first and foremost in everyone's mind
Yeah, you sure cared about that during Spygate.

Anyway, I doubt this gets any traction. I'm not sure you can force a team to play their starters if they have the opportunity to rest them. If need teams to help you get into the playoffs at the end of the season, then it's your fault if you don't make it.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,764 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Yeah, you sure cared about that during Spygate.

Anyway, I doubt this gets any traction. I'm not sure you can force a team to play their starters if they have the opportunity to rest them. If need teams to help you get into the playoffs at the end of the season, then it's your fault if you don't make it.
i was just about to post the same thing...

goodell isn't worried about integrity...he's worried about fans boycotting games at the end of the season. i'll be damned if i'd freeze my ass of in january just to watch a team that don't care if it wins or not .

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,739 Times in 3,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
See the sig.
according to the diahrea that spewed out of his mouth thismorning (granted i wasnt really listening), they are trying to figure out a way to reward teams who play (like the patriots*) with draft picks or something.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

And how does he feel about it after Wes Welker tore up his knee in a basically meaningless game?

As a fan, it sucks to pay for tickets to go to the game, only to see backups playing and getting whipped. But if it helps your team get healthy for a potential superbowl run....it's necessary.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

Leave this one alone, NFL

January 3rd, 2010

The NFL’s competition committee will apparently look into ways to eliminate scenarios where playoff-bound teams rest their starters at the end of the regular season.

Any changes that emerge from that offseason dialogue among members of the competition will come too late to help the Steelers.

Here is hoping that nothing comes out of such talk.

First, teams like the Colts, Patriots and Bengals have earned the right to do what they please in their final game -- or games in the case of Indianapolis

Why should teams that, you know, win be forced to risk losing key starters to injuries in games that are meaningless to them?

Also, even if some measures are enacted that try to compel teams not to “lay down,” as LaMarr Woodley might put it, what is to say they will make all of the final regular-season games truly competitive?

Example: Even if the Colts were forced to play Peyton Manning today, Indianapolis coach Jim Caldwell could get circumvent such a silly rule by simply having his franchise quarterback hand off on every single play.

The certainty that coaches will find ways around any new rules enacted in the name of competition coupled with the issue of fairness (i.e. teams shouldn’t be penalized for having successful season) adds up to this: leave this one alone, NFL.
Filed under: Steelers Comments (2)
Old 01-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i was just about to post the same thing...

goodell isn't worried about integrity..
Alas it too true. All that slime bucket goodell cares about is if his cheatriots win.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Larry
Banned

Member Number: 15605

Competition committee? Sounds impotent.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote