Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,662 Times in 767 Posts
Default 09' Season Is a Rap ...

Basically given a walk-in to the playoffs with the 3td easiest schedule in the league... had the most premier roster in the entire NFL ... and their fans filled the stadiums each game ... but STILL did not even make the playoffs....???

I guess you can rationalize it as "we lost most of our games by 3 pts or less"....(even though they were to teams of the caliber of the Browns, Chiefs and Raiders... I think if that list were the Colts, Saints and Vikes... it might be a little more excusable) and that this will be a "call to arms" in 9 months (next season).

This was one SEVERE SB hangover... Kind of makes me scared to see the team win another SB.... IF the following year we stand to go through another sad ending adventure senario like the 2009 season.....

And then the Ravens and Bengals stick it to us with a playoff apperance... I guess from us beatin em down so much last year... Oh well, our 2010 season "just " started

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Bluedust
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14019
Default Re: 09' Season Is a Rap ...

It's sad, we had one of the best offensive seasons ever in Steelers history, but blame goes to all 3 phases.

Stupid drops and penalties by the offense, stupid drops and penalties by the defense, the returns..

We need better attention to detail next year.
Bluedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Greatest offensive output of any Steeler team in history, but at what cost?

2-4 vs. the AFC North.
Swept by the Bengals.
First Loss to Cleveland since 2003.
30th in Red Zone Efficiency.
Basically hand Bruce Gradkowski an AFC OPOW award.
Five game losing streak.
Keystone Cop Secondary.
Dropped Passes.
Special Teams gaffes.
The "Return" streak.
Turned Louis Murphy into Jerry Rice.
Dominated by 32nd ranked Browns Defense on National TV.
Star player made of glass.

No doubt, this season was a bigger bust than 2006. I don't know what is going on for this to keep happening to Steeler teams. But if this is what winning a SB leads to, I don't know if it's even worth it in the end.

What I'm worried about the most is if this time, the fall is permanant and we get the 1980's/Late 90's again.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824
Cool Re: 09' Season Is a Rap ...

Our defense gave away crucial plays in the 4th quarter of almost all of those losses.

The offense didn't put some teams away when they had the chance to do so and frequently came up lame in the redzone. (with all that offense we still scored more points during the 2005 season)

Special team made it a habit of giving up huge returns and field position in far too many games.

We need work in all phases.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
d2609j
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8095

You can go through all our losses (except the browns loss) and say if this one play was different, we would have won the game. Bear- reed makes a FG, Bengals, Sweed catches the TD pass, Bengals2, kick returned for touchdown, chiefs, BA runs forward instead of pitching to MM for a sweep, Ravens, ray rice pass play on 4th down. Anyone of those plays is different, we are at least the 5th seed. They were all winnable games, but we didn't get it done.
d2609j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Greatest offensive output of any Steeler team in history, but at what cost?

2-4 vs. the AFC North.
Swept by the Bengals.
First Loss to Cleveland since 2003.
30th in Red Zone Efficiency.
Basically hand Bruce Gradkowski an AFC OPOW award.
Five game losing streak.
Keystone Cop Secondary.
Dropped Passes.
Special Teams gaffes.
The "Return" streak.
Turned Louis Murphy into Jerry Rice.
Dominated by 32nd ranked Browns Defense on National TV.
Star player made of glass.

No doubt, this season was a bigger bust than 2006. I don't know what is going on for this to keep happening to Steeler teams. But if this is what winning a SB leads to, I don't know if it's even worth it in the end.

What I'm worried about the most is if this time, the fall is permanant and we get the 1980's/Late 90's again.
Are you kidding me? Are you FRIGGIN kidding me??? I'll take a crappy year every 3 years for the rest of my life if it's preceded by a Super Bowl win! Is it worth it?? Hell friggin yes!! Go take your medication.

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2609j View Post
You can go through all our losses (except the browns loss) and say if this one play was different, we would have won the game. Bear- reed makes a FG, Bengals, Sweed catches the TD pass, Bengals2, kick returned for touchdown, chiefs, BA runs forward instead of pitching to MM for a sweep, Ravens, ray rice pass play on 4th down. Anyone of those plays is different, we are at least the 5th seed. They were all winnable games, but we didn't get it done.
You can go through many, if not all, of our wins and do the "one play" thing as well.

Bottom line, the Steelers weren't good enough where it mattered...on the scoreboard.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
Are you kidding me? Are you FRIGGIN kidding me??? I'll take a crappy year every 3 years for the rest of my life if it's preceded by a Super Bowl win! Is it worth it?? Hell friggin yes!! Go take your medication.

We won the SB's when our core was younger. The team is getting older now. The upcoming drafts and FA periods (re-signing Holmes, Woodley) are absolutely huge. If we don't do well in the upcoming drafts, the team will have problems.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Bluedust
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14019

It's only a game. lol
Bluedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
We won the SB's when our core was younger. The team is getting older now. The upcoming drafts and FA periods (re-signing Holmes, Woodley) are absolutely huge. If we don't do well in the upcoming drafts, the team will have problems.
The team is getting older on defense, yes. They desperately need an infusion of quality young talent. The offense, however, still has a young core (minus Hines, of course) and should be solid for several years to come, assuming of course they re-sign Holmes, which I think they will do.