Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Harris: Parker shows burst in possible finale

Harris: Parker shows burst in possible finale

By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, January 4, 2010

MIAMI - Willie Parker said goodbye the right way on Sunday.

It was 2007 all over again, when Parker led the NFL in rushing until breaking his leg late in the season.

Or 2005-2006, with the Steelers putting the ball and the outcome of games in Parker's capable hands.

Time after time in the closing five minutes, with starting running back Rashard Mendenhall watching from the sideline, the Steelers called Parker's number, choosing the run over the pass in a surprising about-face.

Parker was a fixture in the Steelers' final drive, which resulted in Jeff Reed's 33-yard field goal in a 30-24 win over the Miami Dolphins.

"They just said, 'Three-nine. Get in there,' and a smile came to my face,'' Parker said of his late-game insertion.

You remember Parker - No. 39 - don't you?

He's the third-leading rusher in Steelers history, with 5,378 career yards on 1,253 carries and 24 touchdowns.

His 75-yard burst against Seattle in Super Bowl XL is the longest run from scrimmage in Super Bowl history.

Left tackle Max Starks, who played right tackle against the Seahawks, still recalls the run with vivid clarity.

"Willie and I came in the league together as snot-nosed rookies," Starks said. "We fought though a lot of adversity and a lot of changes. I look back to our second year. He became a starter, and I became a starter, and we won the Super Bowl.

"I remember blocking down on (Seattle linebacker) Lofa Tatupu and springing Willie on that touchdown run. You look back and say that was a hell of a run.''

And now it's over. Parker, an unrestricted free agent, likely played his final game with the Steelers on Sunday.

Given that Mendenhall was a first-round pick a year ago and became a starter this season, Parker is no longer a good fit in the offense.

"I'm a starter,'' said Parker, who carried 12 times for 91 yards against the Dolphins. "Until I hang up the pads, that's what I'm going to look at myself as.''

The more Parker spoke, the more emotional he became.

He addressed the team that brought him in as an undrafted free agent from North Carolina, and the fans who knew him as Fast Willie Parker.

"If that's the last you see of Willie Parker, I want to thank the organization, thank the fans for embracing me," he said. "Knowing the college career that I had, I came here and really did some things. I had six great years with the Steelers.''( Very classy Willie. - mesa)

The last two years weren't so great for Parker.

Slowed by knee and shoulder injuries, Parker rushed for 791 yards in 2008 following three consecutive 1,200-yard-plus seasons.

This season was much worse for Fast Willie, who - because of a painful case of turf toe - at times resembled Slow Willie.

Parker rushed for only 389 yards and failed to run for a touchdown for only the second time in his career.

"It was tough," he said. "At times, I was frustated, and I really felt like hurting somebody. But I talked to my teammates, I prayed a lot, I talked to my family, and they kind of kept me up, kept a smile on my face.

"I love these guys, I love this organization. I'm a Steeler right now. Just see what happens in the future.''

Parker displayed yesterday he can still play the game. His burst was back, and he hit the holes with speed and power.

His 34-yard sprint late in the contest was his longest run of the season.

"If Willie's not back next year, I''ll be cheering for him - I'll always be a fan of No. 39,'' Starks said. "You give him a two-back situation (with another team), I think he can be a great back.''

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,137 Times in 958 Posts
Default Re: Harris: Parker shows burst in possible finale

Yea.... shows a burst after basically resting all season ......

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,835 Times in 2,162 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing Willie come back, but I don't think it will happen.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

I'm gonna miss him, he had some great performances in the Black and Gold. Mendenhall is our guy now though. Willie is still decent but the thing that bothers me most about him is how easily he goes down after contact. It seems like the slightest arm tackle to the shins trips him up enough to get him to the ground.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Pretty good audition heading into free agency.

Performance will stick in the minds of a few teams who are looking for a RB

Looked good in black and gold for the past 6 years FWP. Best of luck wherever you may land for 2010
Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

I've been tough on Parker over the years but I think that a lot of his struggles were more the result of poor offensive run scheming by the coaching staff than his own ability. I say this because I see the same problems with Mendenhall.

If the Dolphins game is the final word on Parker as a Steeler, I'm glad he went out on a high note. It ticks me off that his TD got wiped out by an iffy holding penalty, but whatever. He still showed a lot of class and heart on that last drive. His QB was hurt, and he knew it rested on his shoulders to put the game away. Congrats to Willie for doing just that. Wherever he ends up, he'll always be a Steeler.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,583 Times in 1,517 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Willie come back, but I don't think it will happen.
I don't think you will see that either he is wanting a starting roll somewhere and he will probably find it.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #8
WH

Member Number:

On that TD run that was called back, It looked as if his turf toe was acting up. He was running akwardly.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:46 AM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I would jump for joy if Willie resigned for us. A two-back system with him and mendenhall would be GREAT.

But I am just not sure if it is going to happen. Matter of fact, I quite doubt it.

So here's to you Willie. Thanks for 6 great years... for the excitement, and for being part of 2 SB runs with this team.

If you find your way back next year.. welcome aboard.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:54 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Good luck FWP. I hope you hit the big payday.