Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759
Default Is LeBeau a "sacred cow?"

I mean this with no disrespect whatsoever...

...but has Dick LeBeau been put on a plateau that makes him immune to criticism? The failure of this team is not their offense, but their defense.

Funny, but I'm a supporter of Bruce Arians...I believe this offensive line is horrible, probably the worst this team has had in years. Arians has taken the hand he's been dealt, realizing this is NOT a power-running team, and is utilizing the weapons he has. We have a 4,000 yd. passer, a 1,000 yd. rusher, and 2 1,000 yd. receivers - a FIRST in team history. Yet, Arians gets blasted. This is totally unfair.

However, I have witnessed this defense get torched. I haven't read a single article calling for Dick LeBeau's head. I love the guy, but this is his defense. I realize that Polamalu & Smith are injured and the loss of McFadden hurts more than many want to admit... but those losses (in my eyes) are the equivalent of putting a penny offensive line in front of a 100 million dollar quarterback.

I am not a fan of bashing anyone's job... Seven losses this year were tough to swallow because none of them were more than a touchdown, and surprisingly it was the Browns who handed the Steelers their worst defeat. But watching this defense go into melt-down mode was very hard to witness. The problem on this team is not their offense...it's their defense. Who's accountable for that?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824
Default Re: Is LeBeau a "sacred cow?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Steelers_Fan View Post

...but has Dick LeBeau been put on a plateau that makes him immune to criticism? The failure of this team is not their offense, but their defense.

Funny, but I'm a supporter of Bruce Arians...I believe this offensive line is horrible, probably the worst this team has had in years. Arians has taken the hand he's been dealt, realizing this is NOT a power-running team, and is utilizing the weapons he has. We have a 4,000 yd. passer, a 1,000 yd. rusher, and 2 1,000 yd. receivers - a FIRST in team history. Yet, Arians gets blasted. This is totally unfair.

However, I have witnessed this defense get torched. I haven't read a single article calling for Dick LeBeau's head. I love the guy, but this is his defense. I realize that Polamalu & Smith are injured and the loss of McFadden hurts more than many want to admit... but those losses (in my eyes) are the equivalent of putting a penny offensive line in front of a 100 million dollar quarterback.

I am not a fan of bashing anyone's job... Seven losses this year were tough to swallow because none of them were more than a touchdown, and surprisingly it was the Browns who handed the Steelers their worst defeat. But watching this defense go into melt-down mode was very hard to witness. The problem on this team is not their offense...it's their defense. Who's accountable for that?
I'm with you 100%. I love Dick Lebeau and the defenses he's orchestrated here over the years, but it seemed like he didn't make any effective adjustments to the D once we lost Aaron and Troy. I would have assumed with Lebeau's wealth of defensive knowledge, that he would have gone back to the creative drawing board and come up with some stuff that would work for the people we DID have on the field...We didn't give up huge yardage most of the time, but just about EVERY 4th quarter we were giving up significant points. (Miami was the only team to give up more in the 4th quarter this year) It looked like no adjustments were made to change that.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

Yes, he's sacred, and I believe he gets to leave on his terms. It's not his fault the front office failed to provide him with any sort of depth. His defense is tried and tested and almost always near the top of the league, but this year he lost his best secondary player and best defensive lineman. The way the defense played at the end of the year didn't have anything to do with Labeau or his scheme; rather, it was lack of depth at key positions and just some old age creeping in (especially on Farrior).

Just my opinion.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,172 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote:
Arians has taken the hand he's been dealt, realizing this is NOT a power-running team, and is utilizing the weapons he has. We have a 4,000 yd. passer, a 1,000 yd. rusher, and 2 1,000 yd. receivers - a FIRST in team history. Yet, Arians gets blasted. This is totally unfair.
Don't forget 30th in redzone scorining.

There's plenty of blame to go around for everybody. Special teams, offense and defense.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
GodofGridiron
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10597

Look at LeBeau's body of work. Look at the respect he garners from opposing Offensive coordinators. Have a segment done on you a few times by ESPN NFL Countdown and that sells me on LeBeau. LeBeaus struggle this year is with personnel/Injuries. When hes got his full array of players he can wreck havoc on a game. Arians doesnt generate any respect from opposing D Coordinators. He just doesnt put his stamp on a game or make you guess whats comin.
GodofGridiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:

I think you have it back wards....

LeBeau was dealing with the hand he was dealt. Losing Troy, Smith, and Foote proved to be devastating. Our FO just cut Foote....assuming Timmons was every bit as good.....well Timmons is fast but he cant stuff the run at all. He struggles in coverage and often hurt his teammates by not taking on blockers. Farrior looked to struggle in pass coverage...and the FO made Gay our starting corner with no plan B. Sounds to me like Dick Leabau was handed the piece of shit...Not Arians.

Arians problem was he was given a Porche and he quickly drove it 150MPH w/ his foot to the floor. Arians play calling often put us in bad positions to make mistakes...and plenty of mistakes were made. We shot our selves in the foot offensively often. You apparently forgot about the 4 TDs ran back off Offensive turnovers? Arians struggled to score points even though he was given a boat load of talent. Sure we racked up a ton of yards.....Ben had a career year....our WRs had career years....but you know what....we were average at scoring points.

Is our O-line good? No...but they are not horrible either. Put your QB in the shot gun all game long and become one dimensional .....how well would any O-line protect their QB under those circumstances? Only the best of O-lines could handle such demands. Arians did not use the talent he was given like it should have been.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodofGridiron View Post
Look at LeBeau's body of work. Look at the respect he garners from opposing Offensive coordinators. Have a segment done on you a few times by ESPN NFL Countdown and that sells me on LeBeau. LeBeaus struggle this year is with personnel/Injuries. When hes got his full array of players he can wreck havoc on a game. Arians doesnt generate any respect from opposing D Coordinators. He just doesnt put his stamp on a game or make you guess whats comin.
100% right with that assessment. I think the majority of the Steelers offensive success this year can be laid right on Ben's shoulders. He's THAT good. I don't think Arian's system is all that good. If we take another QB that doesn't have the huge skill set that Ben has, I think we would have struggled to do anything offensively this year. Conversely, look at New England last year with Matt CasselL. I don't think he's anything special (didn't do anything impressive in KC this year), but within the Patriots system last year they still did well offensively. They obviously weren't as strong as they were with Brady, but they still managed to score over 400 pts (almost 50 more than we did this year) with basically a nobody at QB. THAT"S an OC putting a strong system together.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

If we are going to hold people accountable for the performance of the secondary maybe a little attention needs to be paid to these facts.

Quote:
Coaching career -- College
Tomlin's coaching career began in 1995 as the wide receiver coach at Virginia Military Institute under current West Virginia University head coach Bill Stewart. He spent the 1996 season as a graduate assistant at the University of Memphis, where he worked with the defensive backs and special teams.

Following a brief stint on the University of Tennessee at Martin's coaching staff, Tomlin was hired by Arkansas State University in 1997 to coach its defensive backs. Tomlin stayed there for two seasons, before being hired as defensive backs coach by the University of Cincinnati.

National Football League - Assistant Coach
Tomlin was hired as the defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2001, where he first learned the Tampa 2 defense that he would use in later coaching jobs.

In 2002 and 2005, the Buccaneers led the NFL in total defense (fewest yards allowed per game)—during Tomlin's tenure, the defense never ranked worse than sixth overall. When the Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII in January 2003, the team recorded five interceptions, three of which were returned for touchdowns.

Tomlin was selected by Vikings' head coach Brad Childress to be his defensive coordinator in 2006.Two of the players on the Vikings were older than Tomlin, and Tomlin had been a teammate of Vikings' safety Darren Sharper at William and Mary. The 2006 Vikings finished with the NFL's eighth-best overall defense, but had the unusual distinction of finishing as the top-ranked defense against the run, and the worst-ranked defense against the pass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tomlin
If we are going to ask questions of LeBeau it is only fair to ask the same questions, particularly of a defensive back guru, in Mike Tomlin

I think we paid the price this year for a distinct lack of talent, key injuries and loss of a Free agent in the secondary.

Maybe also we need to have one distinct defensive philosophy shared by our coaches. The LeBeau zone blitz preference and Tomlins preference for Tampa 2 must create a slight issue somewhere? I dont know enough about defences but are these two guys on the same page when coaching players ????

I would appreciate feedback on this one.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

everybody needs to accept the blame, but yes i agree with u, lebeau doesnt get criticism because of his past accomplishments, including last years record setting defense
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
If we are going to hold people accountable for the performance of the secondary maybe a little attention needs to be paid to these facts.

If we are going to ask questions of LeBeau it is only fair to ask the same questions, particularly of a defensive back guru, in Mike Tomlin

I think we paid the price this year for a distinct lack of talent, key injuries and loss of a Free agent in the secondary.

Maybe also we need to have one distinct defensive philosophy shared by our coaches. The LeBeau zone blitz preference and Tomlins preference for Tampa 2 must create a slight issue somewhere? I dont know enough about defences but are these two guys on the same page when coaching players ????

I would appreciate feedback on this one.
Well, last year they a combined defense, and clamped down on teams for most of the year. Then, they started getting lit up at the end, during the fourth quarter.

This is a league of professionals, where 1/8ths of a second is the difference from hero to goat. It is also a league of copycats and copious amounts of video tape (legal, sir belicheat).

So IMO, OC's got a hold of a lot of tape with our offense from last year... figured out ways to create seams, and started exploiting those seams. Then, with Troy and Aaron out, those seams grew larger and a bit easier to exploit.

So having Troy and Aaron back next year will help, but LeBeau has to figure out how to close up the seams. I have no doubt he will.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote