Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
redundantman
Water Boy

Member Number: 2354
Default Redundant Thoughts 2009 Week 17 @ Miami

Redundant Thoughts 2009 Week 17 @ Miami
1. Tuned in just in time to see Ben throw a TD to Santonio. Remember way back when the Steelers had that deadly red zone conversion percentage and such events did not elicit sighs of relief?

2. Troy is missing his 11th game this season. He just never could get healthy.

3. Dolphins making it look easy on their opening possession. That’s typical for a DLB defense though. I just keep telling myself that they’ll adjust and shut them down, they’ll adjust and shut them down, they’ll adjust and shut them down etc …

4. I can understand the argument for wanting the Colts to chase an undefeated season but I can’t understand the emotional angst that seems to go with the “thumbing your nose at history” stuff.

5. I finished typing #4 and I just saw the Wes Welker injury report.

6. #33 Nate Jones makes every highlight reel for Week 17 in the worst possible way. That was funny!

7. The Steelers going for it on 4th and inches in the first quarter … Diedorf called it a sign of respect for what the Miami offense had done on the opening drive. What a dork.

8. Wallace made a nice adjustment on that deep TD. Yet another underthrown ball.

9. After the Dolphins first field goal Stefan Logan has another decent runback … is it possible the Steelers have finally met a team with crappier special teams than their own?

10. What’s up with the elbow bands that FWP and some of the other running backs wear?

11. Great play by Townsend on that int in the 2nd quarter. Looked like he was the primary receiver.

12. Holmes throws a pick deep. Mendenhall was getting tackled before the ball got there. No flag. That was a terrible play call.

13. The Dolphins completed a forward pass that gained -10 yards. And the Steelers D promptly gives up 23 yards on the next play for a first down.

14. Watching Travis Kirschke on that bad snap ... it has to be hard to try to stop 300 lbs that’s moving one direction and try to get it going the other direction.

15. Woodley is playing a great game ... two sacks on the 2 minute drive at the half. He is forcing the Dolphins to take action which will only help our secondary in the second half right guys? …. Right? ….

16. Every time I see the Troy P Head and Shoulders commercials I laugh. I’m not sure why.

17. Ben burns two timeouts on that TD drive in the 3rd quarter. What was up with that?

18. Miller! What a freaking catch for a TD! Santonio/Wallace/Heath style TD catch. Ward needs to get in on the act.

19. Ensuing kickoff was into the endzone and the Steelers managed to tackle that returner before he got to the 20! How many times has THAT happened this year?

20. Pat White looks like he is 14 years old.

21. And hello Tyler Thigpen.

22. Dan Rooney was hitting on some chick in his owner’s booth while the medics were attending to Pat White. Anyone STILL think it wise to play Peyton Manning in pursuit of a perfect season?

23. Stefan Logan makes something out of nothing … return to the 50 and ran about 200 yards doing it. Why yes, the Steelers have indeed met their inferior in regards to Special Teams.

24. 2 penalties (PI and def holding) keeping the Dolphins drive alive with 11:30 left in 4th.

25. TD on a reverse. If the Steelers team get into the playoffs they will go nowhere because they cannot stop the other team in the 4th quarter.

26. Willie Colon gets two holding calls in the ensuing series. Steelers punt from their 21.

27. Tyler Thigpen was spanking those idiots. I mean I should probably cut the Steelers D some slack right? I know Tyler Thigpen is a world-beater at QB and all … you talk about franchise QBs its: Brady, Manning, Thigpen right?

28. TD – wide open after over Townsend, Harrison blows a sack.

29. It appears that Ike Taylor’s biggest mistake was taking Pat White out.

30. This Steelers team has 5 losses after leading in the 4th quarter (lead the league). You just know the stats guys in the booth had already worked up all the Steelers 4th quarter collapse statistics before this game even started. Dierdorf was salivating at the thought that the Steelers would blow it.

31. Ensuing possession – 2 runs between the tackles for 3 yards and then a fumble on a sack. Dolphins on the clock to take the lead. Ben is hurt.

32. Ryan Clark makes a play! I can’t believe it. Actually Tyler Thigpen makes a terrible decision and a lousy throw.

33. I am shocked that Ben is still playing … and playing well at that. They are actually moving the ball.

34. Taylor puts the cap on it. “Hugs the ground as his friend.”

35. Houston wins as do the Ravens and just about every team the Steelers needed to lose. Just as well. This team has been dead man walking for a month.

36. I saw the highlights from the Texans post-game in which I saw something I had never seen before: a broadly smiling Gary Kubiak celebrating the Texans first winning season. They had beaten the Patsies and at the time were still alive for a playoff spot. This isn’t exactly a profound or original thought but it certainly rings relevant this fine morning: it occurs to me how spoiled we Steeler fans are. Incredibly spoiled. Some teams celebrate 9-7 and a glimmer of hope while we tend to rage at the little things that keep our team from collecting more and more hardware. Maybe one day the Texans will know the curse of the Super Bowl trophy lust but for now they celebrate what they can only dream of while our team sits on 6 of those suckers. Warning to all you wanna-be teams out there: one is never enough.
redundantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057
Default Re: Redundant Thoughts 2009 Week 17 @ Miami

Good post, redundantman. Very funny stuff. Loved this:

Reminds me of the onside kick thing where he recovered the ball and it ended up hurting us (even though, luckily, we still won the game).

Also, yeah... it is true that yesterday was an example of how spoiled we are in some senses. For us, a 9-7 season is disappointing, but for the Texans, it's cause for celebration. Still, I would have to argue that even though we've been more successful in the long run over the years, I wouldn't mind the Steelers having a season or two where they dominate the crap out of a lot of teams and are a shoe-in for the playoffs like the Colts and the Pats always seem to be. Even last year, we had enough nail-biters in the regular season that it wasn't too comfortable throughout the year.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Men of Steel
Starter

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
13. The Dolphins completed a forward pass that gained -10 yards. And the Steelers D promptly gives up 23 yards on the next play for a first down.
the story of our season....

Quote:
20. Pat White looks like he is 14 years old.
i remember saying the exact same thing!!!

Quote:
35. Houston wins as do the Ravens and just about every team the Steelers needed to lose. Just as well. This team has been dead man walking for a month.
yep, dead man walking. just a team that kept "draggin" kinda like a team on life support. waitin for someone to pull the plug.

Quote:
36. I saw the highlights from the Texans post-game in which I saw something I had never seen before: a broadly smiling Gary Kubiak celebrating the Texans first winning season. They had beaten the Patsies and at the time were still alive for a playoff spot. This isn’t exactly a profound or original thought but it certainly rings relevant this fine morning: it occurs to me how spoiled we Steeler fans are. Incredibly spoiled. Some teams celebrate 9-7 and a glimmer of hope while we tend to rage at the little things that keep our team from collecting more and more hardware. Maybe one day the Texans will know the curse of the Super Bowl trophy lust but for now they celebrate what they can only dream of while our team sits on 6 of those suckers. Warning to all you wanna-be teams out there: one is never enough.
couldnt have said it any better myself.
winning the superbowl means obtainin power.
and what do people with power want? ... more power.
one is definitely, never enough.

next year baby, next year.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Wins Over
Tennessee 8-8
San Diego 13-3 (playoff team)
Detroit 2-14
Cleveland 5-11
Minnesota 12-4 (playoff team)
Denver 8-8
Green Bay 11-5 (playoff team)
Baltimore 9-7 (playoff team)
Miami 7-9

4 wins against teams that went 45 - 18 on the season. Impressive

Losses to
Chicago 7-9
Cincinnati 10-6 (playoff team)
Cincinnati 10-6 (playoff team)
Chiefs 4-12
Baltimore 9-7 (playoff team)
Oakland 5-11
Cleveland 5-11

4 Losses to teams that went 21-43 on the season. Disgraceful
Old 01-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
redundantman
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Burgher View Post
Good post, redundantman. Very funny stuff. Loved this:

Reminds me of the onside kick thing where he recovered the ball and it ended up hurting us (even though, luckily, we still won the game).

Also, yeah... it is true that yesterday was an example of how spoiled we are in some senses. For us, a 9-7 season is disappointing, but for the Texans, it's cause for celebration. Still, I would have to argue that even though we've been more successful in the long run over the years, I wouldn't mind the Steelers having a season or two where they dominate the crap out of a lot of teams and are a shoe-in for the playoffs like the Colts and the Pats always seem to be. Even last year, we had enough nail-biters in the regular season that it wasn't too comfortable throughout the year.
Thanks!

Yeah I forgot about that. Last year was a series of nail-biters wasn't it? I was thinking early on this year that we'd be in for the same sort of thing this year but the Steelers just never got the breaks/plays this year that they got last year.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
redundantman
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKid212 View Post
the story of our season....

i remember saying the exact same thing!!!
My actual gametime quote was "He looks like he is twelve." But in the post I thought he earned a couple years for taking Ike's hit. Poor sucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKid212 View Post
yep, dead man walking. just a team that kept "draggin" kinda like a team on life support. waitin for someone to pull the plug.

couldnt have said it any better myself.
winning the superbowl means obtainin power.
and what do people with power want? ... more power.
one is definitely, never enough.

next year baby, next year.
Super Bowl trophies are like Lays potato chips.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,096 Times in 3,457 Posts

Quote:
10. What’s up with the elbow bands that FWP and some of the other running backs wear?
funny you should mention that. i remember a rather lengthy and spirited debate on willie's "sleeves" a coupla years ago.

what were they? what purpose do they serve? should he keep them or ditch them, and were they contributing to willie's fumblitis?

were the rubber sleeves or bands a fashion statement? did they make the biceps look bigger? did they serve a medical purpose such as assisting circulation?

what we do know is jerome liked them.

do they make the ball more slick and harder to hold onto in rain, humidity, and snow? or did they provide added traction on the ball like rain tires and rubber soles shoes.

my theory was the latter. i cant remember if an actual answer was found other than jerome introduced him to them and he liked them.