Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Pocahont... er... Avatar!

Hilarious!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Pocahont... er... Avatar!

Thats funny preach.

Before I went to see it a mate of mine said to me that it was " dances with wolves in the future"

I can see a lot of both in this movie. It was visually stunning to see in 3D.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Well, the public ate this up. It grossed 1 billion dollars.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
smokin3000gt

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
Thats funny preach.

Before I went to see it a mate of mine said to me that it was " dances with wolves in the future"

visually stunning is a good way to describe it.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Brooks chimes in....most of this is just common sense, but I'm disturbed as I think about the truthfulness of his line about a lot of foreigners wanting to see this film because it depicts American soldiers getting killed.

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/81086367.html

The fable of the White Messiah

By David Brooks
New York Times

Published on Sunday, Jan 10, 2010

NEW YORK: Every age produces its own sort of fables, and our age seems to have produced The White Messiah fable.

This is the oft-repeated story about a manly young adventurer who goes into the wilderness in search of thrills and profit. But, once there, he meets the native people and finds that they are noble and spiritual and pure. And so he emerges as their Messiah, leading them on a righteous crusade against his own rotten civilization.

Avid moviegoers will remember A Man Called Horse, which began to establish the pattern, and At Play in the Fields of the Lord. More people will have seen Dances With Wolves or The Last Samurai.

Kids have been given their own pure versions of the fable, like Pocahontas and FernGully.

It's a pretty serviceable formula. Once a director selects the White Messiah fable, he or she doesn't have to waste time explaining the plot because everybody knows roughly what's going to happen.

The formula also gives movies a little socially conscious allure. Audiences like it because it is so environmentally sensitive. Academy Award voters like it because it is so multiculturally aware. Critics like it because the formula inevitably involves the loincloth-clad good guys sticking it to the military-industrial complex.

Yet of all the directors who have used versions of the White Messiah formula over the years, no one has done so with as much exuberance as James Cameron in Avatar.

Avatar is a racial fantasy par excellence. The hero is a white former Marine who is adrift in his civilization. He ends up working with a giant corporation and flies through space to help plunder the environment of a pristine planet and displace its peace-loving natives.

The peace-loving natives — compiled from a melange of Native American, African, Vietnamese, Iraqi and other cultural fragments — are like the peace-loving natives you've seen in a hundred other movies. They're tall, muscular and admirably slender. They walk around nearly naked. They are phenomenal athletes and pretty good singers and dancers.

The white guy notices that the peace-loving natives are much cooler than the greedy corporate tools and the bloodthirsty U.S. military types he came over with. He goes to live with the natives, and, in short order, he's the most awesome member of their tribe. He has sex with their hottest babe. He learns to jump through the jungle and ride horses. It turns out that he's even got more guts and athletic prowess than they do. He flies the big red bird that no one in generations has been able to master.

Along the way, he has his consciousness raised. The peace-loving natives are at one with nature, and even have a fiber-optic cable sticking out of their bodies that they can plug into horses and trees, which is like Horse Whispering without the wireless technology. Because they are not corrupted by things like literacy, cell phones and blockbuster movies, they have deep and tranquil souls.

The natives help the white guy discover that he, too, has a deep and tranquil soul.

The natives have hot bodies and perfect ecological sensibilities, but they are natural creatures, not history-making ones. When the military-industrial complex comes in to strip-mine their homes, they need a White Messiah to lead and inspire the defense.

Our hero leaps in, with the help of a pack of dinosaurs summoned by Mother Earth. As he and his fellow freedom fighters kill wave after wave of Marines or former Marines or whatever they are, he achieves the ultimate prize: He is accepted by the natives and can spend the rest of his life in their excellent culture.

Cameron's handling of the White Messiah fable is not the reason Avatar is such a huge global hit. As John Podhoretz wrote in The Weekly Standard, ''Cameron has simply used these familiar bromides as shorthand to give his special-effects spectacular some resonance.'' The plotline gives global audiences a chance to see American troops get killed. It offers useful hooks on which McDonald's and other corporations can hang their tie-in campaigns.

Still, would it be totally annoying to point out that the whole White Messiah fable, especially as Cameron applies it, is kind of offensive?

It rests on the stereotype that white people are rationalist and technocratic while colonial victims are spiritual and athletic. It rests on the assumption that nonwhites need the White Messiah to lead their crusades. It rests on the assumption that illiteracy is the path to grace. It also creates a sort of two-edged cultural imperialism. Natives can either have their history shaped by cruel imperialists or benevolent ones, but either way, they are going to be supporting actors in our journey to self-admiration.

It's just escapism, obviously, but benevolent romanticism can be just as condescending as the malevolent kind — even when you surround it with pop-up ferns and floating mountains.

Brooks is a New York Times columnist.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
Thats funny preach.

I just saw it in 3D, that was an experience, and I did enjoy it. Some friends of my daughters called it "dances with smurfs"

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I've seen people do that writing script thing with Harry Potter too, pretty hilarious.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,667 Times in 770 Posts

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.

"I wasn't depressed myself. In fact the movie made me happy ," Baghdassarian said. "But I can understand why it made people depressed. The movie was so beautiful and it showed something we don't have here on Earth. I think people saw we could be living in a completely different world and that caused them to be depressed."

A post by a user called Elequin expresses an almost obsessive relationship with the film.

"That's all I have been doing as of late, searching the Internet for more info about 'Avatar.' I guess that helps. It's so hard I can't force myself to think that it's just a movie, and to get over it, that living like the Na'vi will never happen. I think I need a rebound movie," Elequin posted.

A user named Mike wrote on the fan Web site "Naviblue" that he contemplated suicide after seeing the movie.

"Ever since I went to see Avatar I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "

Other fans have expressed feelings of disgust with the human race and disengagement with reality.

Cameron's movie, which has pulled in more than $1.4 billion in worldwide box office sales and could be on track to be the highest grossing film of all time, is set in the future when the Earth's resources have been pillaged by the human race. A greedy corporation is trying to mine the rare mineral unobtainium from the planet Pandora, which is inhabited by a peace-loving race of 7-foot tall, blue-skinned natives called the Na'vi.

In their race to mine for Pandora's resources, the humans clash with the Na'vi, leading to casualties on both sides. The world of Pandora is reminiscent of a prehistoric fantasyland, filled with dinosaur-like creatures mixed with the kinds of fauna you may find in the deep reaches of the ocean. Compared with life on Earth, Pandora is a beautiful, glowing utopia.

Ivar Hill posts to the Avatar forum page under the name Eltu. He wrote about his post-Avatar depression after he first saw the film earlier this month.

"When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed ... gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning," Hill wrote on the forum. "It just seems so ... meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep ... doing things at all. I live in a dying world."

Reached via e-mail in Sweden where he is studying game design, Hill, 17, explained that his feelings of despair made him desperately want to escape reality.

"One can say my depression was twofold: I was depressed because I really wanted to live in Pandora, which seemed like such a perfect place, but I was also depressed and disgusted with the sight of our world, what we have done to Earth. I so much wanted to escape reality," Hill said.

Cameron's special effects masterpiece is very lifelike and the 3-D performance capture and CGI effects essentially allow the viewer to enter the alien world of Pandora for the movie's 2-hour run-time, which only lends to the separation anxiety some individuals experience when they depart the movie theater.

"Virtual life is not real life and it never will be, but this is the pinnacle of what we can build in a virtual presentation so far," said Dr. Stephan Quentzel, psychiatrist and Medical Director for the Louis Armstrong Center for Music and Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York. "It has taken the best of our technology to create this virtual world and real life will never be as utopian as it seems onscreen. It makes real life seem more imperfect."

Fans of the movie may find actor Stephen Lang, who plays the villainous Col. Miles Quaritch in the film, an enemy of the Na'vi people and their sacred ground, an unlikely sympathizer, but Lang says he can understand the connection people are feeling with the movie.

"Pandora is a pristine world and there is the synergy between all of the creatures of the planet and I think that strikes a deep cord within people that has a wishfulness and a wistfulness to it," Lang said. "James Cameron had the technical resources to go along with this incredibly fertile imagination of his and his dream is built out of the same things that other peoples' dreams are made of."

The bright side is that for Hill and others like him who became dissatisfied with their own lives and with our imperfect world after enjoying the fictional creation of James Cameron, becoming a part of a community of like-minded people on an online forum has helped them emerge from the darkness.

"After discussing on the forums for a while now, my depression is beginning to fade away. Having taken a part in many discussions concerning all this has really, really helped me," Hill said. "Before, I had lost the reason to keep on living -- but now it feels like these feelings are gradually being replaced with others."

Quentzel said creating relationships with others is one of the keys to human happiness and that even if those connections are occurring online they are better than nothing.

"Obviously there is community building in these forums," Quentzel said. "It may be technologically different from other community building, but it serves the same purpose."

Within the fan community, suggestions for battling feelings of depression after seeing the movie include things like playing "Avatar" video games or downloading the movie soundtrack in addition to encouraging members to relate to other people outside the virtual realm and to seek out positive and constructive activities.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

OMFG at people....seriously...if you are depressed over Avatar because you want to live in that "perfect" world...go join a cult, drink the juice and join the spaceshift that visits every 10,000 years.

Effing morons. There is "synergy" in the Amazon Rainforest too morons, go live down there and let me know how living off the land works out for ya when a spider bite sends you into convulsions and there isn't any Man Made medicine around to save your dumb ass.

Seriously...go live with a Tribe in Australia in the Outback and tell me how it feels when the snake bites your face and you fall into a pond full of Crocs and they eat your flesh...Fcking Toolbags.

These kind of people with these responses to the movie Avatar are the problem I HAVE with Humanity. Its a freaking movie morons, NOT REAL, never could be REAL, ever!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,043 Times in 416 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
OMFG at people....seriously...if you are depressed over Avatar because you want to live in that "perfect" world...go join a cult, drink the juice and join the spaceshift that visits every 10,000 years.

Effing morons. There is "synergy" in the Amazon Rainforest too morons, go live down there and let me know how living off the land works out for ya when a spider bite sends you into convulsions and there isn't any Man Made medicine around to save your dumb ass.

Seriously...go live with a Tribe in Australia in the Outback and tell me how it feels when the snake bites your face and you fall into a pond full of Crocs and they eat your flesh...Fcking Toolbags.

These kind of people with these responses to the movie Avatar are the problem I HAVE with Humanity. Its a freaking movie morons, NOT REAL, never could be REAL, ever!
we have a winner
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote