Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Farrior speaks

View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

Farrior speaks

January 4th, 2010

The Steelers had a final team meeting today at their South Side practice facility.

Four Steelers were brought into the media room to discuss what went wrong in 2009 and what is ahead for the Steelers.

What follows is the Q&A with James Farrior, who said he expects Dick LeBeau to return as defensive coordinator next season and concedes that he has lost a step but is still confident he can play at a high level.

Q: What was the message from Mike Tomlin like this year compared to last year?

A: ďLast year I donít remember a final meeting, I think we just went from the Super Bowl to the parade, but this year I think the most important thing that he talked about that I took from the meeting was division play. Thatís what basically was the downfall of our season, we didnít dominate the division like we did last year. I think we were 2-4 in the division. Basically, thatís where our goal started, is winning the division, dominating the division. We didnít do that this year and thatís what was his message to us.

Q: Mike Tomlin emphasized before the first division game this season the importance of winning the division so tie-breakers donít come into play as much. Do you remember that?

A: ďYes, it definitely makes a lot more sense now, thatís basically what it was. We didnít do well in our division and that cost us not getting in the playoffs this year. He said it to us earlier and I guess we didnít listen good enough.Ē

Q: How frustrating was it for the defense to struggle? How much of an impact was it missing Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith?

A: ďIt was definitely a disappointing season for our defense as a group, we definitely feel like we didnít do a lot of things well at the end of games, we cost the team, we didnít play as well as we couldíve played, we had some plays out there that we left on the field that cost us games. Definitely having Aaron Smith and [Troy] Polamalu out, those are basically our two best players on defense, having those two guys out really affected the way we went out there and played. It was tough out there for us. Having those two impact-type of players not out there, I think it hurt us a little bit.Ē

Q: Are you concerned about the age of the defense?

A: ďNot really. Weíve been getting old for a few years now. I think itís all relative and it is what it is. If youíve got it, youíve got it. If you donít, you donít. I donít really think about the age issue.Ē

Q: Do you think youíve lost a step as youíve gotten older?

A: ďYou lose a step every year. I feel like every year is going to be different. You canít get faster every year, eventually youíre going to slow down. I definitely think my age is getting up there and I mightíve lost a step, but I think my mental part of the game helps me keep up pace. I think thatís what it is for a lot of older guys, if youíve got the mental capacity, and youíre able to be smarter than the other guy, it keeps you on the same pace.Ē

Q: Do you need some inside linebacker help with that being said? Should Lawrence Timmons help you out more?

A: ďNo, Lawrence (Timmons) is a great player and heís going to be a good player in this league in the years to come. I think everybody has their own responsibilities and itís up to us to just go out and do our job. We donít need to emphasize anybody else doing something different. Weíve all got our jobs, we can do it.Ē

Q: Are there similarities between the two seasons (2006 and 2009) after winning the Super Bowl?

A: I think itís a little different. I think this year was probably different than any other year Iíve been around. I think it was pretty much a tale of a couple different seasons put together in one. We started off slow, off to a 1-2 start, we got hot, won five straight, then we got extremely cold, lost five straight and then we tried to rally back at the end, but it was just a little too late. Iíve never been a part of a season like this, it was definitely tough. I donít think it really compares to the first time, I think it was a whole different situation.Ē

Q: Do you expect changes this year?

A: ďI think after you sit and take a step back and look at it, right now itís too early to try and make decisions about it, the seasonís still fresh. You need time to go back and think about everything. I donít know if weíre going to have a lot of changes but that happens every year, thatís a part of the business. Thatís something that we go through anyway, win or lose.Ē

Q: ďWhat would you change if you could?

A: If I could? I wouldnít change nothing. I like this group, I like this team, I like the coachesÖĒ

Q: Iím sorry, I meant about the season.

A: What would I change about the season? We would take a couple of those games back, some of our division games we let slip away. Some of the games that came down to communication errors, not usual of our defense, Iím just speaking in defensive terms when Iím talking.Ē

Q: What are your thoughts on Coach LeBeau coming back next season?

A: Iím looking forward to Coach LeBeau coming back next year and next year will be no different than any other year coming into the season. He didnít have a whole lot to say to us, but he was glad to work with everybody. Itís going to be 31 teams mad, in our same position, itís only one team that can to win the championship. If you donít win it then everybodyís in the same boat, that was pretty much his message to us. Weíve got to go back to work, next yearís going to be a new start and itís time to go back and try and do it again.Ē

Q: You have no doubt on him not coming back?

A: ďNot really. He told us in a meeting a couple of weeks ago. I think the rumors had started going around again about him retiring and not coming back again. He laid it to bed with me. He told our defense theyíre going to have to kick him up out of here so I took his word for it.Ē
Filed under: Steelers Comment (0)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Farrior speaks

Farrior looked really bad against Miami. Fox is probably a better option now.

Last edited by steeltheone; 01-04-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: misspell
steeltheone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,554 Times in 3,980 Posts

Quote:
"Definitely having Aaron Smith and [Troy] Polamalu out, those are basically our two best players on defense, having those two guys out really affected the way we went out there and played. It was tough out there for us. Having those two impact-type of players not out there, I think it hurt us a little bit.”
sorry james...

i know youre a professional and all, who knows all the ins and outs and on field dynamics, but the message board community says it shouldnt have made that much of a difference.

get over it.

simply plug in whose next and demand the same results.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

it will be a sad day to see farrior retire, i fasho will shed many tears.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
sorry james...

i know youre a professional and all, who knows all the ins and outs and on field dynamics, but the message board community says it shouldnt have made that much of a difference.

get over it.

simply plug in whose next and demand the same results.

Yep....It's all about executing the plays, so simple a caveman could do it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
tony hipchest

FWIW- farrior could easilly be a starter in the patriots defense for the next 5 years, and i believe be more productive than bruschi, seau, (or than adalius and mcginnest were on the outside).
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,168 Times in 432 Posts

Why don't we just save a lot of money next year, only field Polamalu and Smith, since they are our entire defense according to some, and cut/trade the rest of the defense? I'm sure those cheap-assed Rooneys can get behind that.

On a less facetious note, do I expect losing two players the caliber of Troy and Aaron to have a detrimental effect on the D as a whole? Yep. To the extent of allowing absolute scrubs like Gradkowski and Thigpen to look like Dan Marino and Joe Montana on an almost weekly basis, or knowing full well that Cribbs is the ONLY weapon the Browns have and still being unable to prevent him from gashing the shit out of us anyway? Sorry, but nope.

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-04-2010 at 10:45 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,782 Times in 2,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Why don't we just save a lot of money next year, only field Polamalu and Smith, since they are our entire defense according to some, and cut/trade the rest of the defense? I'm sure those cheap-assed Rooneys can get behind that.
Good idea. Just get a bunch of scrubs out there, all they would have to do is execute the plays. Simple.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,168 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Good idea. Just get a bunch of scrubs out there, all they would have to do is execute the plays. Simple.
Well, supposedly, that's all we have anyway when Polamalu and Smith are out of the lineup. No way can we stop offensive juggernauts like the Raidahs when they're out.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

On a less facetious note, do I expect losing two players the caliber of Troy and Aaron to have a detrimental effect on the D as a whole? Yep. To the extent of allowing absolute scrubs like Gradkowski and Thigpen to look like Dan Marino and Joe Montana on an almost weekly basis, or knowing full well that Cribbs is the ONLY weapon the Browns have and still being unable to prevent him from gashing the shit out of us anyway? Sorry, but nope.
then what the hell do you call it when rookie and unknown scrubbs named leinart, cutler, garrard, and clemens did the EXACT same thing to our #1 defense in 2007 when we were a hella lot younger, yet still missing the likes of smith and polamalu?

you know what? we lost games we shouldnt have. those 2 got healthy the next year and we assembled one of the greatest defenses seen since 1991 and won the superbowl.

i wont back away from this stance. the arians apologists can ignore it all they want.