Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Parker's return an intriguing possibility

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...g-possibility/
View From The Press Box

Parker's return an intriguing possibility

January 4th, 2010

After looking like the Willie Parker of old instead of an old Willie Parker in the Steelers’ 30-24 win against the Dolphins, the free-agent-to-be running back offered mixed messages when it comes to his future.

“Hopefully I’m here next season because it’s a blessing, me coming here and being part of a great organization,” Parker said.

But the sixth-year veteran also said, “I want to thank the coaches and my teammates for embracing me and blessing me to be part of such a great organization.”

If I had to set odds on Parker donning a Steelers uniform again I’d put them at no better than 50/50 -- and that might be optimistic.

He is clearly eyeing a bigger role than the one he had following Rashard Mendenhall’s emergence, which came after a toe injury sustained by Parker in late September provided an opening for the 2008 first-round draft pick.

But Parker, 29, also has to be realistic. He has six seasons of wear and tear on his 5-10, 209-pound frame. In two of those seasons he averaged 329 carries.

Teams aren’t likely to line up to sign someone who has taken a lot of hits and plays a position that is rarely associated with longevity in the NFL. And where Parker covets a chance to start again -- “If you think about it every running back wants to be the starter,” he said. -- the two-time Pro Bowler may not get the chance to carry a running game as he did in 2006-07.

NFL teams are increasingly relying on more than a back in the running game, and Parker might have to accept being part of a rotation if he signs elsewhere.

In the end, re-signing with the team he has been with for his entire career might make the most sense for Parker and the Steelers.

Parker showed against the Dolphins that he still has the kind of burst that helped him become the Steelers’ third all-time leading rusher. With Mendenhall out because of a leg injury, Parker gained 74 of his 91 rushing yards on the Steelers’ final drive.

He still has value as insurance for Mendenhall and could be a complement to the second-year back if the Steelers ever decide to go that route.

Parker, who made $4 million this season, would have to take a pay cut to return to the Steelers. But the Steelers would also have to give assurances to Parker that he will be more than an afterthought in the offense if they want to re-sign him.

“I’ve wanted to get more than three or four carries a game all season,” Parker said, “and run the ball and just be me and make plays.”

Surely the Steelers can design packages that get Mendenhall and Parker on the field together. And if other teams can make two-back approaches work, why can’t it happen here?

That is the most significant question the Steelers will have to answer to Parker if they truly want him back.
Filed under: Steelers Comments (31)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Parker's return an intriguing possibility

He will get nowhere near the 4 million a year here. We have other priorities.He will be somewhere else.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
pepsyman1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10824

I'd LOVE to see FWP and Mendi in the same backfield. I know they could put some good packages together and truly be a dangerous combo. Who knows? Maybe some middle ground can be found between Willie and the FO.
pepsyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I hope he stays.

Mendenhall is going to need someone to share the load with next year. Willie would be perfect.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Parker seems like someone who would leave for the money, and if another team offered him enough, he'll be gone.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

willie doesn't strike me as someone who wants to be shown the money, he's a quiet guy, if he wants to come back he will accept backup money, what team is gonna sign a 30 year old backup who has averaged less and less every year when there is loads of talented running backs in this years draft.

it's a bargian for him to finish being a steeler, i dont want him to go out with 91 yards... i want him to get that 75 yard touchdown run in a super bowl again.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
Fifty8
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14371

Too bad he doesn't have bettter hands, he'd be perfect on third down or in west coast with that speed. I'm sure he is going to look for at least a 50/50 split situation and he just won't get that here.

My guess is he ends up in KC, Detroit or Seattle.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I hope he stays.

Mendenhall is going to need someone to share the load with next year. Willie would be perfect.
Exactly.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty8 View Post
Too bad he doesn't have bettter hands, he'd be perfect on third down or in west coast with that speed. I'm sure he is going to look for at least a 50/50 split situation and he just won't get that here.

My guess is he ends up in KC, Detroit or Seattle.
Actually, he does have ok hands. Not good, but ok.

Mendy has evolved into a pretty good third down back.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MeMo gone, and Willie come back, to be honest.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Actually, he does have ok hands. Not good, but ok.

Mendy has evolved into a pretty good third down back.

I wouldn't be surprised to see MeMo gone, and Willie come back, to be honest.
Parker has ok hands, as in he catches 1 out of every 10 passes thrown to him out of the backfield. If he is thrown a short pass when he's still behind the LOS he can catch it and make some moves. But he's terrible when he has to run a route and make a play on the ball. He drops more balls when he is wide open than Sweed.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote