Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Bobby_Walden
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15491
Default Jim Wexell Article

http://pit.scout.com/2/935134.html

A really good description of some obvious issues.

Steeler Fan from the 70's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Walden
Bobby_Walden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Jim Wexell Article

He should join the braintrust. Arians hating is the major required prerequisite.

I wonder if Wexell thinks Sweed desreves another 17 chances?

He was correct about Arians in this case, though...he had a MAJOR lapse there for a bit but he recovered. The goalline sequence followed by the Whisenhunt nonsense was horrific. But you don't shitcan a guy for 10 minutes of one game. And how does Arians get ripped but LeBeau get a 100% total pass?

Also, how the Hell does HE know that the Rooney's want Arians gone? Because, last i checked, they WERE the owners, and I don' think there's a long history of coaches defying the Rooney's wishes on the rare occasions they actually make them known.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

He was correct about Arians in this case, though...he had a MAJOR lapse there for a bit but he recovered. The goalline sequence followed by the Whisenhunt nonsense was horrific. But you don't shitcan a guy for 10 minutes of one game. And how does Arians get ripped but LeBeau get a 100% total pass?
Because Arians offensive scheme, with the talent we have, has consistently been middle of the NFL while Lebeau has had the boys in the top 5 consistently.

Because we have an all star offense, yet consistently put up middle of the road points because they stall in the red zone.

Arians may not be "bad", but IMHO as an offensive coordinator he's below average. Add to that my personal dislike for how he calls a game... I agree with the article.

Lebeau's defense faultered due to players not having the physical ability to make plays. We lost Troy, Aaron, Larry Foote and McFadden.

I'd argue that at this time Larry Foote is still a better middle linebacker than Timmons, and McFadden is a better corner than Gay. Gay is a better nickel back than Townsend, and lord knows there has got to be a better cover safety on the market than Ty Carter.

Lebeau gets a pass this year.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbroughneck View Post
Because Arians offensive scheme, with the talent we have, has consistently been middle of the NFL while Lebeau has had the boys in the top 5 consistently.

Because we have an all star offense, yet consistently put up middle of the road points because they stall in the red zone.

Arians may not be "bad", but IMHO as an offensive coordinator he's below average. Add to that my personal dislike for how he calls a game... I agree with the article.

Lebeau's defense faultered due to players not having the physical ability to make plays. We lost Troy, Aaron, Larry Foote and McFadden.

I'd argue that at this time Larry Foote is still a better middle linebacker than Timmons, and McFadden is a better corner than Gay. Gay is a better nickel back than Townsend, and lord knows there has got to be a better cover safety on the market than Ty Carter.

Lebeau gets a pass this year.
++++++++++1
Old 01-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,467 Times in 1,636 Posts

You guys are all just Arians haters. Don't you know we won a super bowl with him??
Old 01-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917

That article hit every point right on the head. Too bad some simple minds don't get it.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Wexell is a solid writer. Thanks for posting.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

As usual Wexall delivers the goods.

As for Wexall's assertion that the Rooney's want Arains out. I'm pretty sure Wexall wouldn't put it out there if it wasn't true. Wexall's been writing for a long time, he gets pretty good access from inside the lockerroom and inside the board room. He starts making stuff up or divulging off the record secrets he loses access and credibility. I'm guessing that Art III was the source and isn't upset that it came out like this, hell he may have even encouraged it.

Now as to why the Rooney's wouldn't demand Tomlin make such a change if they were in favor of it. Dan did that once to Noll, lived to regret it, and promised to never do such a thing again. By the way the coach he had fired was one Tony Dungy,

Oh and to paraphrase a certain Admiral that was the Democratic party's VP nominee a long time ago... , I know Tony Dungy, and Bruce Arians is no Tony Dungy.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
He should join the braintrust. Arians hating is the major required prerequisite.

I wonder if Wexell thinks Sweed desreves another 17 chances?

Also, how the Hell does HE know that the Rooney's want Arians gone? Because, last i checked, they WERE the owners, and I don' think there's a long history of coaches defying the Rooney's wishes on the rare occasions they actually make them known.
Because he's a good reporter with access and sources. And you're not.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
Hayeksheroes
Banned

Member Number: 15387

What if Big Ben wants Arians to stay?
Hayeksheroes is offline   Reply With Quote