Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #11
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302
Default Re: Gilbert Arenas

Maybe he thought he'd get robbed in the Arena?
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
Steel_12
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8295

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
That's the price of fame, there is a trade off, if they aren't willing to accept it, stop playing. You thrust yourself into the limelight, if that means you gotta stay home there is a solution, take yourself out of the limelight.
I disagree...even people who aren't famous get robbed. They have a right to protect themselves just like people who aren't famous. It isn't right for anybody to have to stay couped up in the house because crazy people are out there. That still doesn't solve the problem of home invasions though...should they not have guns then either?
Steel_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #13
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

I get that there's going to be a gun debate about this, or about any situation dealing with firearms. But to me what I found fascinating about this story, is not only the stupidity of these two bringing guns into the locker room, but actually using them in a manner of intimidation. Serious stuff.

What I also find interesting is Arena's behaviour afterwards. His interviews after the fact making light of the situation, and also strongly emphasizing that he did nothing wrong. Then came this gem:

How stupid could you be? You would think there would be someone in his camp that would have pulled him aside and chewed his ass until he realized how much the commissioner wouldn't find ANY of this funny and that he was (no pun intended) shooting himself in the ass with his actions and was in some serious trouble with the league.

But then again I don't really follow basketball, for all I know Arena's has been and will always be stupid.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_12 View Post
I disagree...even people who aren't famous get robbed. They have a right to protect themselves just like people who aren't famous. It isn't right for anybody to have to stay couped up in the house because crazy people are out there. That still doesn't solve the problem of home invasions though...should they not have guns then either?
I think you are getting a little far afield, no one is advocating people getting robbed, nor is anyone arguing against gun ownership. However, NEITHER of those situations happened here. Arenas is an idiot, plain and simple. Can he own guns? Sure. Does this have anything to do with him owning a gun? Not at all.

Since you brought up home invasions though, it is clear you see my point. Certain decisions need to be made in order to protect yourself, whether famous or not. If you feel you have to carry a gun to go somewhere, my argument is, you shouldn't be going there. Would you not lock your windows in your house? Would you leave the doors open for people to come in? Would you leave your garage door open so anyone could walk in and take whatever they want? Chances are no. So why would you put yourself in the position of having to carry a gun?

What Arenas did is dumb and makes no sense, there are no excuses for it. He was in zero danger at the arena, unless you can show me someone who get robbed at the stadium.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
Steel_12
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
I think you are getting a little far afield, no one is advocating people getting robbed, nor is anyone arguing against gun ownership. However, NEITHER of those situations happened here. Arenas is an idiot, plain and simple. Can he own guns? Sure. Does this have anything to do with him owning a gun? Not at all.

Since you brought up home invasions though, it is clear you see my point. Certain decisions need to be made in order to protect yourself, whether famous or not. If you feel you have to carry a gun to go somewhere, my argument is, you shouldn't be going there. Would you not lock your windows in your house? Would you leave the doors open for people to come in? Would you leave your garage door open so anyone could walk in and take whatever they want? Chances are no. So why would you put yourself in the position of having to carry a gun?

What Arenas did is dumb and makes no sense, there are no excuses for it. He was in zero danger at the arena, unless you can show me someone who get robbed at the stadium.
True, neither situation happened but athletes have seen other athletes get robbed in their own home (Sean Taylor, Eddy Curry, Antoine Walker and one of the Giants players which is why Plax had his gun), driving down the street (Jax player forgot his name), pumping gas (Vernon Forrest), Mendenhall got robbed just walking down the street, etc. They would be naive to not have their own weapon or a security team. They put themselves in that position every time they leave the house as you can see. So in order for them to stay away from those places (which are common places to go), they would have to stay in the house.

I'm not advocating what Arenas did by any means but I understand why he had a gun(s). Why he took them to the arena? He says it's because of his newborn...which I don't fully believe.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:

Thug life, baby.

No offense to anyone, but these guys are all from the hood and they think this gives them street cred or something. How many white NBA players do you think carry their gat with them to games?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Thug life, baby.

No offense to anyone, but these guys are all from the hood and they think this gives them street cred or something. How many white NBA players do you think carry their gat with them to games?
I would like to believe a very small percentage of athletes, white, black, brown or yellow carry guns with them.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
I would like to believe a very small percentage of athletes, white, black, brown or yellow carry guns with them.
You're welcome to suspend your disbelief in any way you like...

But I think we both know the truth here....
Old 01-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #19
Steel_12
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Thug life, baby.

You don't know anything about thug life or Arenas so you can kill that noise. Arenas has never been in trouble with the law (before now) and I'm sure the majority of the black players in the NBA hasn't either. Arenas has a family so he doesn't care about street cred. He made a dumb decision.

I know this term gets thrown around loosely but that was a racist statement...just because you put "no offense to anyone" doesn't make it ok. I know you're the type of person to stir up shit on this forum but that was low...even for you. But I'm sure you wouldn't call a black person a thug to their face...especially one that you don't even know. It's just amazing how some (SOME) white people think they have black people figured out.

I bet you're the type to say, "I'm not racist, I have black friends". But I say to that bullshit! And since I'm on your precious ignore list, I hope somebody copies this for you.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #20
Steel_12
Starter
Supporter

Quote:
I would think so too...they wouldn't be smart if they didn't.