Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,839 Times in 921 Posts
Default Percy Harvin is Offensive ROY

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Little Phenom is the NFL's top offensive rookie.

Percy Harvin used his versatility and intelligence to win The Associated Press 2009 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year award.

The Minnesota Vikings wide receiver/kick returner ran away with the balloting the same way he outran defenses and special teams this season. Harvin received 41 votes Wednesday from the nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league. Baltimore tackle Michael Oher was second with six votes.

The 22nd overall draft pick out of Florida, Harvin had 60 receptions for 790 yards and six touchdowns; rushed 15 times for 135 yards; and returned 42 kickoffs for 1,156 yards (27.5 per) and two touchdowns, one covering 101 yards.

He tied with the Colts' Austin Collie for most catches by a rookie and set Minnesota's single-season franchise record for all-purpose yardage with 2,081.

"I call him Little Phenom," said teammate Adrian Peterson, the 2007 Offensive Rookie of the Year. "He's got the heart of a lion when he's out there playing."

He's also got the confidence of his entire team, including a 40-year-old quarterback who demands excellence.

"I think Percy's on his way to a league of his own," Brett Favre said. "He's quick like Wes Welker. He's got a long ways to go to be in the same category with Wes, but at the rate he's going he's a dominant force in a lot of ways."

Precisely the reason Harvin dominated the voting and was added to the Pro Bowl this week.

He missed one game in December with migraine headaches, about the only thing that slowed him. He had six catches for 101 yards and a TD against Chicago, and scored on kick runbacks against Pittsburgh (88 yards) and San Francisco (101).

"I came in with 'I'm ready for anything, I'm expecting anything,' so nothing surprised me. I'm pretty good on that end," Harvin said.

There were some questions about how well Harvin, who left Florida after his junior season, would adjust to the NFL. It didn't take long for him to answer, catching his first pro TD pass in the opener at Cleveland, a 6-yarder from Favre that was followed by a celebratory tackle by the quarterback.

"I thought we were going to bump chests or something," Harvin said at the time. "He wasn't slowing down. I took it and we fell to the ground. It was a great feeling."

As was much of the season for the speedster, who helped Minnesota win the NFC North at 12-4 and earn a first-round playoff bye.

Teammates and coaches speak not only of his natural talent, but his football know-how.

"He's a smart player," offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. "Now he hasn't had all the reps in his background of just being a wide receiver as another guy may have had coming out of college, but he's a fast learner. He picks things up and he understands football."

That's a source of pride for the 21-year-old Harvin.

"Just how quickly I was able to adjust and learn the system," he said of meeting early NFL challenges. "Reading the coverages and things like that. I think I've been doing it fairly well at a quick time. So I'm impressed with that."

Harvin is the sixth Vikings player to win the award, joining Peterson, Randy Moss (1998), Sammy White (1976), Chuck Foreman (1973) and Paul Flatley (1963).

Also receiving votes this season were Philadelphia receiver Jeremy Maclin, Denver running back Knowshon Moreno and Pittsburgh receiver Mike Wallace, each with one.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0bqiH5lFE
Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,017 Posts
Default Re: Percy Harvin is Offensive ROY

this one was a no brainer.

brett favre.

im suprised mike wallace got a vote. good job!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Hey Rev. wern't you calling him a bust in the making at the beginning of the year?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

I figured harvin would win it and i dont have a problem with it.

Doesnt keep me from wishing wallace would have won lol
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
Hey Rev. wern't you calling him a bust in the making at the beginning of the year?
I never doubted that he was talented....I'm MOST concerned about the thuggery issue. And he's just getting started. There could certainly be some coke binges and shot up titty bars at 3 AM in his future....

Let the first prognosticator who never misses a draft guess toss the first stone....
Old 01-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Harvin was a shoe-in. Michael Oher should have been right up there with him, but realistically the thought process of these analysts basically prohibits non-skill position players from winning the award. Gratz to Harvin
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Harvin had quite the season. No problem with this pick whatsoever.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,350 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think this should be no surprise for anyone. Wallace had a good year as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Yeah, I can't say I didn't see this one coming. Congrats to him, and to Wallace, who at least got a vote for this.

Speaking of which, Mike at least one Rookie of the Week this week, I believe for the third time this season. Regarding that, I'd like to waive a middle finger at Rod Woodson who bitched about this last night on Total Access because he didn't think that Wallace's contributions were all that impressive. Fine Rod, I know that Wallace only had two catches in that game, but one of them was a huge deep ball TD that plenty of WRs in the NFL would drop. Also, its never cool to piss on your old team, Rod.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

MIke is saving it for superbowl mvp.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote