Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Fifty8
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14371
Default Offense was not the problem this year

A lot of folks were very excited about the prospect that Arian's was going to be fired and it leaves me scratching my head. I know this post is going to catch a lot of flack, but regardless: Our offense, in my opinion was more dynamic this year than in any year since Wiz and Randle El trick packages. Ben put up 4000+ yds and we had 2 1000 yd rushers. During most of the Cowher era we ran on 1st & 2nd and ran a draw on 3rd or threw on third. Admittedly, a few times Arians completely abandoned the run, and yes that was frustrating, and I would like to see more screens (like the Dolphins game) but overall the offense was reasonably productive and pretty dynamic.

Special Teams and poor secondary play buried us this year.

Bears game (If Reed makes 2 field goals - we win, makes one we at least go to overtime.)

1st Bengals game: D can't hold a lead and goes into prevent mode rather than blitz Palmer. For those who have forgotten, the only thing the Prevent, prevents is winning.

Chiefs game: Special teams allows return for TD

Raiders game: Worst coverage I have ever witnessed by Steeler secondary, EVER
Steeler D shredded by Gradkowski? Give me a break

2nd Bengals game: Steeler O musters 12 pts (Arians to blame here)

2nd Browns game: Most unmotivated flat offense of the year (Arians can get some blame here) but special teams allowed return for TD

So I ask you how many losses do you pin on Arians? I say one maybe 1 1/2

I blame 4 1/2 losses on secondary and special teams.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,758 Times in 1,789 Posts
Default Re: Offense was not the problem this year

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
Fifty8
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I know, but I could not resist with all the glee and joy about the Arian's rumor.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
LukesDad88
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty8 View Post
A lot of folks were very excited about the prospect that Arian's was going to be fired and it leaves me scratching my head. I know this post is going to catch a lot of flack, but regardless: Our offense, in my opinion was more dynamic this year than in any year since Wiz and Randle El trick packages. Ben put up 4000+ yds and we had 2 1000 yd rushers. During most of the Cowher era we ran on 1st & 2nd and ran a draw on 3rd or threw on third. Admittedly, a few times Arians completely abandoned the run, and yes that was frustrating, and I would like to see more screens (like the Dolphins game) but overall the offense was reasonably productive and pretty dynamic.

Special Teams and poor secondary play buried us this year.

Bears game (If Reed makes 2 field goals - we win, makes one we at least go to overtime.)

1st Bengals game: D can't hold a lead and goes into prevent mode rather than blitz Palmer. For those who have forgotten, the only thing the Prevent, prevents is winning.

Chiefs game: Special teams allows return for TD

Raiders game: Worst coverage I have ever witnessed by Steeler secondary, EVER
Steeler D shredded by Gradkowski? Give me a break

2nd Bengals game: Steeler O musters 12 pts (Arians to blame here)

2nd Browns game: Most unmotivated flat offense of the year (Arians can get some blame here) but special teams allowed return for TD

So I ask you how many losses do you pin on Arians? I say one maybe 1 1/2

I blame 4 1/2 losses on secondary and special teams.
Let me play devil's advocate here:

Bears - 35 pass attempts for 22 rushes. A little better balance, and Gould doesn't have those 15 seconds for the last kick.

Cincy (1) - 1 of 3 in the redzone

Cincy (2) - 0 of 4 in the redzone

Chiefs - 3 offensive turn overs. Plus 2 offensive drives in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter netting 17 yards.

Oakland - 2 of 5 in the redzone

and do I even have to go into Cleveland?
LukesDad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

It was most definitely a problem. Just not the only problem. ( Ben and Wallace were the bright points of the season.)
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 01-06-2010 at 08:15 PM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Fifty8
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukesDad88 View Post
Let me play devil's advocate here:

Bears - 35 pass attempts for 22 rushes. A little better balance, and Gould doesn't have those 15 seconds for the last kick.

Cincy (1) - 1 of 3 in the redzone

Cincy (2) - 0 of 4 in the redzone

Chiefs - 3 offensive turn overs. Plus 2 offensive drives in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter netting 17 yards.

Oakland - 2 of 5 in the redzone

and do I even have to go into Cleveland?
Oakland - we scored 27 pts that should be a win - secondary lost this
Chiefs - see oakland - special teams blew this one
1st Cincy - we scored 23 - should be a win - secondary blew this

2nd Bengals game -- O definitely the problem

I am not saying O was without issues but overall I blame our season on our secondary and special teams failures
Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Special teams and conservative defense with the lead. Secondary played fine at the begining of games when we were blitzing and stoping the other team. But 2nd half with the lead, conservative defense, playing the corners back, killed us. Dick Lebeau isn't perfect, he'll look at this season, fix up his mistakes, get some better DB's in general and get the Steal Curtain back.

But when your defense is ailing, you can't expect to try and pass the ball 40 yards down the field every set of downs. You have to use short passes and the run game to keep the ball in the offenses hand and the defense on the side line... 80's 49er's won games with time of possesion, not high scoring offense and greatest defense in the world.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Special teams and conservative defense with the lead. Secondary played fine at the begining of games when we were blitzing and stoping the other team. But 2nd half with the lead, conservative defense, playing the corners back, killed us. Dick Lebeau isn't perfect, he'll look at this season, fix up his mistakes, get some better DB's in general and get the Steal Curtain back.

But when your defense is ailing, you can't expect to try and pass the ball 40 yards down the field every set of downs. You have to use short passes and the run game to keep the ball in the offenses hand and the defense on the side line... 80's 49er's won games with time of possesion, not high scoring offense and greatest defense in the world.
Did you guys not read X's posts? Didnt he state that the Steelers were 4th in TOP???

Heres some food for thought:

2008: Steelers offense ranked 22nd

2009: Steelers offense ranked 7th

Overall the offense IMPROVED! Now if the Redzone improved, maybe we will see an offense that scores 50 points a game...might not be good enough, but good enough.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
Did you guys not read X's posts? Didnt he state that the Steelers were 4th in TOP???

Heres some food for thought:

2008: Steelers offense ranked 22nd

2009: Steelers offense ranked 7th

Overall the offense IMPROVED! Now if the Redzone improved, maybe we will see an offense that scores 50 points a game...might not be good enough, but good enough.
Offense had time of possesion because they keep the ball most of the first half... We'd keep the ball like 20-25 minutes in the 1st half then 5-10 minutes in the 2nd half. Did you not see the Ravens game? the Steelers had the ball for like 40 seconds in the 3rd quarter. Stats don't show the whole game. Like the steelers were the 5th total defense, but were the worst 4th quarter defense. Its the situational stats you have to look at.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Fifty8
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Agreed

Quote:
Valid point, and that part of the criticism I can get with. If Arians had a better run blocking O-line, he may have gone a little more ball control. It sounds like the goal is 50/50 balance when you listen to Tomlin. The inability to run consistently, I think, inhibited the ability to excercise more ball control. I think Arians did an admirable job when you consider what he had to work with. It's the fire Arians sentiment I'm having a hard time with because overall the O was productive.