Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,098 Posts
Default Some Positive and Encouraging Stats from our Linebackers

james harrison- tied for 11th in the league w/10 sacks (5th amongst olb's).

tied for 3rd with 5 forced fumbles.

of all linebackers with more than 4 sacks (primarily OLB's) james harrison led them all with 79 total tackles.

the only olb's who have more tackles than him arent really pass rushers and have 4 or less sacks (including that rookie freak, brian cushing who has 130+ and 4 sacks).

lamaar woodley- tied for 3rd in the league with 13.5 sacks with dwight freeney. jarred allen has one more. the only olb better than him in this category (elvis dumerville) led the league with 17.

lawrence timmons- no interior linebacker or middle linebacker had more than his 7 sacks. only 10 players had more than his 4 forced fumbles (none of which played at his position on the inside).

james farrior- obviously the weak link, but his 102 tackles have him at a respectable 23 amongst ilb/mlb's (tied for 11th amongst ilb's) and his 6 passes defended are very respectable (13th amongst ilb/mlb's). what this says is for at his position in the 3-4 he is still statistically better than more than half, and still above average.

FWIW-porter, haggans, and foote arent exactly lighting the league on fire, but they are all still solid starters for their team. foote has 3 less tackles than james, and haggans still put up 5 sacks this season. joey is still joey, just not last years joey.

looking towards next year- since our linebackers are good, i cant wait to get someone like aaron smith to bolster the line, and a player like troy polamalu to secure the backfield.

the current best linebacking corps in the league will only get that much better.

amen and brett favre.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: Some Positive and Encouraging Stats from our Linebackers

I think you ment James Farrior, not James Harrison as the weakeast link and 102 tackles.

I think haggans would be a good 4-3 defensive end, he was never much more than a pass rusher.

And everyone one the defense Credits Aaron Smith, and says the defense struggles without him. He is our Albert Haynesworth, he gets in the backfield, disrupts the pass, makes key tackles and even covers running backs one on one. Troy is pretty much our key in the defense, every quarterback makes sure they know where he is and tends to forget about everyone else.

Last edited by lionslicer; 01-06-2010 at 11:06 PM.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
I think you ment James Farrior, not James Harrison as the weekeast link and 102 tackles.

I think haggans would be a good 4-3 defensive end, he was never much more than a pass rusher.
i already fixed it as you were editorializing.

btw- i think you meant weakest as opposed to weekeast.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

William Gay had 70 solo tackles, only 1 cornerback had more. He also had no pass deflections. I can find stats too :P
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
tony hipchest

thats great!

can you take the next step and apply a point to them?

incase you havent noticed, this thread is about our linebacking corps.

so in other words, there are plenty of other trees to go bark at.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Woodley & harrison are not just pass rushers like a freeney & mathis combo they also go into pass coverage which is awesome to saytthe least and something i was watching as the year went along BOTH tend to stay at home when the play is away keeping to their responsiblities. As the year progressed timmons did a lot better. Potsie well i like him so much i have his jersey but the 102 tackles if only he has 104 we would be in the playoffs the 1st bengals game & the 1 st ravens game. he is still a good ILB just lost a step and it showed a bit. we need depth at LB i just hope we get a couple of young studs to be understudies of potsie & harrison.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
thats great!

can you take the next step and apply a point to them?

incase you havent noticed, this thread is about our linebacking corps.

so in other words, there are plenty of other trees to go bark at.
I know... I was just being a smart ass.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
Woodley & harrison are not just pass rushers like a freeney & mathis combo they also go into pass coverage which is awesome to saytthe least and something i was watching as the year went along BOTH tend to stay at home when the play is away keeping to their responsiblities. As the year progressed timmons did a lot better. Potsie well i like him so much i have his jersey but the 102 tackles if only he has 104 we would be in the playoffs the 1st bengals game & the 1 st ravens game. he is still a good ILB just lost a step and it showed a bit. we need depth at LB i just hope we get a couple of young studs to be understudies of potsie & harrison.
Woodley needs help in pass coverage... there was a game during that 5 game losing streak where he went for an interception, he would have had it, or atleast a pass deflection, but he put his hands down and went for the tackle.... And missed the tackle and the back gained a first down. And thats not the first time he did something like that.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
tony hipchest

and herin lies the rub. most offensive coordinators are gonna draw up a play or 2 a game to try and isolate a rb on a lb in open space.

if youre facing the steelers, chances say you will make james the #1 target of that due to his age. it doesnt take a wizard to figure out rice can beat farrior in a 1 on 1 foot race.

#2 you might target woodley because he is HUGE and a DL who has been converted to an olb, and dropping back and covering in space is still relatively new to him.

#3 you might target timmons because he is a 1st year starter, and even though he has all the athleticism in the world, he is still young and might possibly get confused and lose a slight step on his assignments.

#4 you might target harrison but then you really run the risk of getting your rb or te killed.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

And everyone one the defense Credits Aaron Smith, and says the defense struggles without him

Smith is 34 needs cut. Maybe resigned cheaper as backup or not at all. Ziggy Hood should start. He just needs playing time.