Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
vrabinec
Head Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,476 Times in 752 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed
Default Nice article by Lance Zierlein, Larry's son

Spot on in most of what he says...

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootba...fire_my_1.html
vrabinec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Nice article by Lance Zierlein, Larry's son

Agree with some of what he has to say, but disagree that the OL wasn't at fault this year. They were confused and a mess in the browns game, and there is NO excuse for that, nor can that be blamed on any other coach than Zierlein...
Old 01-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
vrabinec
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Agree with some of what he has to say, but disagree that the OL wasn't at fault this year. They were confused and a mess in the browns game, and there is NO excuse for that, nor can that be blamed on any other coach than Zierlein...
Yeah, 50 sacks is a hell of a lot, even if your QB holds the ball too long.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Rockonsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15574

Quote:
The first two sacks of that game, were in 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2 scenarios. Ben had no business in 5 wide shotgun, especially considering the weather conditions that night. The Browns just sent more than the Steelers could block. And knowing Ben's penchant for holding onto the ball, they jammed the receivers all night to make him do just that. It worked like a charm all night. BA never adjusted. He kept dropping back in empty backfield sets. The Browns kept blitzing. Ben kept getting sacked. The Steelers scored 6 pts. as a result of this. Against the Browns. The Steelers lost the game. The Steelers are home watching the playoffs, in large part because of this.

Rockon
Rockonsteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
casteeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Yeehaw

I really think the front office( especially the coaching staff) need to read this article and then read it again.Protecting ben is like gaurding a bank vault every time he is hit really hard is like getting robbed for a little of that 100 million.One more serious concussion could very well be the end of the road . So a better preforming off line and ben getting the ball out of his hand before the big hits are pertinant to the longevity of the steelers MVP.We also have a more than capable backup in Dennis Dixon who needs to be utilized instead of wasting away on the bench, the man preformed exeptionally against Balt in his very first NFL start.
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,153 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:

I disagree. That Browns game was pathetic as it is. Why do you think they were confused? Because of the lack of preperation and the lack of failing to adjust. That lays SORELY on the offensive coordinator.

There is only SO MUCH a lineman can communicate, and once the communication is done that doesn't change the fact that we were out schemed that night in every phase to where we had no idea how to block an extra attacker in the box. Say what you want, but the O-LINE had a HELLUVA year this season and I agree mostly what Larry's son said in the whole argument.

Great read.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,693 Times in 985 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Sometimes I wonder if Roethlisberger should be benched the next time he takes an unnecessary sack.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,153 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Sometimes I wonder if Roethlisberger should be benched the next time he takes an unnecessary sack.
There's so much more than to what meets the eye when talking about the 50 sacks. Ben needs to be Ben, and that means let Ben be Ben. PERIOD. Yes, the O-line had something to do with sacks. Point taken. Yes, Ben has something to do with them. Point taken. But the receiving core ALSO has something to do with them, and MOST of the sacks were coverage sacks, which comes right back to packages and schemes. We had virtually NO underneath routes and relied FAR TOO OFTEN ON THE INTERMEDIATE routes, esp when we kept Heath in to pass protect. I don't mean to pick on Arians, but this falls on his game plan.

Multiple times, we've had an extra defender in the box on a blitz, someone whom we couldn't of picked up because we were out numbered, but yet, our receivers are running 15 yards down field, which means Ben needs time, which means the O-line needs to block. Well, the O-line can't block a guy coming free when being out numbered an extra man. This calls for a hot route, or simply a pass protection option we clearly never had an answer for.

Arians's offense did indeed put up great numbers, but sometimes his schemes, play calling and lack thereof in the redzone costed us this season offensively. There were many drives where we would eat about 6 minutes off the clock, only to settle for 3. Hopefully, we can fix that REAL QUICK or else it'll be more of the same next season. Bunch of stats, but no touchdowns.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
vrabinec
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
There's so much more than to what meets the eye when talking about the 50 sacks. Ben needs to be Ben, and that means let Ben be Ben. PERIOD. Yes, the O-line had something to do with sacks. Point taken. Yes, Ben has something to do with them. Point taken. But the receiving core ALSO has something to do with them, and MOST of the sacks were coverage sacks, which comes right back to packages and schemes. We had virtually NO underneath routes and relied FAR TOO OFTEN ON THE INTERMEDIATE routes, esp when we kept Heath in to pass protect. I don't mean to pick on Arians, but this falls on his game plan..
I'll agree that we had no underneath routes. IMO, since we have Ben, and he's prone to holding on to the ball until SOMEONE gets open, we need a Welker type to be his outlet. Someone who gets open QUICKLY. Wallace, Holmes and Heath are threats on longer routes, but none of them gets separation quickly. Ward used to, but not so much anymore. Mendenhall is still unteady in the passing game (that may get better next year if he works hard at it) So Ben needs someone who is really quick and shifty, sure handed, and gets off his man in a hurry.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

What about when he avoids a sac. holds onto the ball and creates a great play for a first down or TD....... Like ben said... sacs are part of the game... and hes gonna do everything he can to win.... I think the good out weighs the bad when it comes to ben holding onto the ball.