Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Thursday, January 07, 2010
Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky are gone.

Quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson has retired.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is staying, apparently at the behest of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

What does it mean?

For one, it means that head coach Mike Tomlin was very serious when he said he's out to change the fact that Roethlisberger has been the most sacked quarterback in the league over the past four seasons.

Was that all Zierlein's fault? Nope. Roethlisberger was sacked 40-plus times in 2006 when Russ Grimm was still the offensive line coach in Pittsburgh and Ken Whisenhunt was the offensive coordinator.

But the team learned to live with Roethlisberger taking some of those sacks by holding the ball because him holding the ball also turned into some big plays for the offense.

While Arians will be back, some of the things the team does offensively will change. He and whoever the new QB coach is will work with Roethlisberger on getting rid of the ball more quickly - ie. reading defenses better - with the idea that they can prolong his career.

Roethlisberger has bucked that in the past because the coaching staff has been willing to live with the bad plays because the big plays were so great. But with the team's third-down conversion rate plunging this season to the bottom of the league and a defense that wasn't as dominant, the Steelers couldn't fight through the bad sacks this season. They just couldn't afford to lose that kind of field position.

Roethlisberger going to bat for Arians and getting his way is a bad sign for this team, however, in that it gives the QB the idea that he's in charge of this ship.

Should Roethlisberger have some say in the matter? Sure. But Tomlin had better have told him that if Arians stays, Roethlisberger had better spend the necessary time in the offseason working on getting rid of the ball more quickly.

Posted by Dale Lolley at 7:03 PM 6 comments Links to this post
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,215 Times in 2,675 Posts
Default Re: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Quote:
Was that all Zierlein's fault? Nope. Roethlisberger was sacked 40-plus times in 2006 when Russ Grimm was still the offensive line coach in Pittsburgh and Ken Whisenhunt was the offensive coordinator.

But the team learned to live with Roethlisberger taking some of those sacks by holding the ball because him holding the ball also turned into some big plays for the offense.
i finally get the philosophy now!

40 sacks = 3000+ yds passing
50 sacks = 4000+ yds passing

next year we will go for 60 sacks = 5000+ yds passing!

(this post was brought to you by the letters "sarcasm" and "arians logic i hope tomlin has snuffed out".)

seriously... i hope the biggest change is getting rid of the charlie manson "no sense, makes sense" offense. oh, and scrap the stupid "my little pony" backfield idea too.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Has anyone actually confirmed this whole "Ben saved Arians" thing?

Or are we just running with it as is because enough of the br.....I mean, um, regular posters like the idea?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

at least we're probably only gonna have Arians for one more year..
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
steelwalls
Starter

Member Number: 13927

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Has anyone actually confirmed this whole "Ben saved Arians" thing?

Or are we just running with it as is because enough of the br.....I mean, um, regular posters like the idea?
Hard for me to believe Ben was the only one that voiced an opinion about Arians staying or going... guess he's the only one on the team now.... sigh
Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,215 Times in 2,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwalls View Post
Hard for me to believe Ben was the only one that voiced an opinion about Arians staying or going... guess he's the only one on the team now.... sigh
tomlin conducted exit interviews with most (probably all of the players) before he began meeting with the coaches. this is what he said he would do on tuesday and santonio holmes confirms on the same day-

Season is over time to sped a lil qt wit the kids and family! Just had my final meeting with coach Tomlin, now back to the drawing board.

anyways has anyone actually confirmed this whole "rooneys love arians and think he is an offensive God" thing?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
at least we're probably only gonna have Arians for one more year..
That's EXACTLY what everyone who hates BA said at this point (when BA was retained for 2009) last year.

So the haters were wrong during last year, after last year, during this year AND after this year....but they are still just POSITIVE they are right and we just have to wait a little longer to see it.

But these same people want to give epic failure Sweed 400 more chances?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I think Arians can be an excellent coordinator if he tweaks his philosophy some. I have a feeling he was retained but told that if he doesn't add some power football to this package, his ass will be kicked out the door at the end of next season if not during it.

The one thing I hated about Cowher was the run the ball first and second down, third and long pass, punt offense. I don't want to go back to that, but we need to be more balanced. If Arians can do that, then he has a future here. But if we see empty backfield shotgun sets on third and one, he'll get canned.

I think the 2010 season, we will see Tomlin take more control of the offense. He may not be calling plays, but I think he might start vetoing plays and pushing a different philosophy upon Arians.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I think Arians can be an excellent coordinator if he tweaks his philosophy some. I have a feeling he was retained but told that if he doesn't add some power football to this package, his ass will be kicked out the door at the end of next season if not during it.

The one thing I hated about Cowher was the run the ball first and second down, third and long pass, punt offense. I don't want to go back to that, but we need to be more balanced. If Arians can do that, then he has a future here. But if we see empty backfield shotgun sets on third and one, he'll get canned.

I think the 2010 season, we will see Tomlin take more control of the offense. He may not be calling plays, but I think he might start vetoing plays and pushing a different philosophy upon Arians.
I think Tomlin already has his fingerprints all over some of the playcalling....that's probably part of the reason Arians is staying. People act like Arians just has carte blanche and does as he pleases, and that's almost certainly NOT the case. Tomlin likes to take risks....I think HE bears some of the culpability in the playcalling.

Other than that, much of what you said is probably true. There will probably be a concerted effort by ALL involved coaches to get that run/pass ratio closer to 50/50, and add an element of power running. And why not? The more looks you can throw at a defense the better!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I think Tomlin already has his fingerprints all over some of the playcalling....that's probably part of the reason Arians is staying. People act like Arians just has carte blanche and does as he pleases, and that's almost certainly NOT the case. Tomlin likes to take risks....I think HE bears some of the culpability in the playcalling.

Other than that, much of what you said is probably true. There will probably be a concerted effort by ALL involved coaches to get that run/pass ratio closer to 50/50, and add an element of power running. And why not? The more looks you can throw at a defense the better!
Exactly!

It helps to have a running back that can run through people now too.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote