Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default My Steelers report card.

Feel free to add your own grades or critique mine.

I'll start with the starting "skill position players.

Ben Roethlisberger .B+

I struggled with this one I really wanted to give him an A, at least an A-, he was clearly the team MVP. But his sub standard performance in two divisional losses ( last Bengals and Browns game) dragged him down to this grade. Unfairly or not, the qb usually gets the most credit or the blame for the final result.

Rashard Mendenhall. B

Overcame some early problems, had a strong middle, and a little bit of a later slump ( Spindenhall). But overall showed he has the makings of a top notch back. His blocking is improving and his ability to catch the ball and make things happen in space could make him a league MVP candiate next season.

Hines Ward. A-

No player in the league gets more from their god given ability than Hines does. A true warrior, but i wish he'd shut his yap about Ben in the future.

Santonio Holmes B

If we were talking the first 9 games I'd give Holmes a C at best. His 4 drops against the Bears including a should have been td were killing. Then he followed that the next week by screwing up on his hot route assignment and cost the Steelers the game turning pick 6 against the Bungles. Then his end of the half should have been td drop against the Bungles in game 9 set the course for the 2nd half futility to follow.

But after that Holmes really turned the corner and may have been the Steelers best offensive player for the rest of the season. For games 10-16 he gets an A. Thus it all balances out to a B in the end.

Heath Miller. A

Despite Heath's game changing drop against the Chiefs I've got to give him an A. The most complete tight end in the league.

Reserves

Mike Wallace. A

If he were a starter he'd get a B, but when you consider what he produces for the amount of snaps he gets he was without question an A. This guy could be scary good next year.

Willie Parker. C-

Willie really struggled early when he was starting. The Steelers inability to close out the 2nd and 3rd game of the season was partially due to Willie's struggles. I got to think injuries were getting the better of him? The last couple of games he looked more like his old self. Probably too little too late to keep him in Pittsburgh though.

Matt Spaeth. D-

What a waste of a roster "spaeth".

No other skill position players made enough of an impact to bother to grade.

Last edited by zulater; 01-08-2010 at 08:07 PM.
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
zulater
Team Owner

Default Re: My Steelers report card.

Special teams.

Stefan Logan. B

As a kick returner B+ ( no td's) , as a punt returner C+. a major upgrade over last year. But damn I thought he'd take at least one to the house.

Jeff Reed. B-

As a field goal kicker A-. Didn't miss a kick under 50 yards after the Bear debacle.

For kick offs D+. Jeff just doesn't have enough leg to kick 'em deep. Though notice the returns for td's ended as soon as they got Anthony Madison back and up to speed.

Daniel Sepulvada. B

I keep wanting to put a minus behind the B, but then I get a Mitch Berger flashback. I was a little dissapointed with Dan, but he was good at avoiding touchbacks, so I guess he deserves his B.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Mike Wallace should be A+ :P.

Limas must be shitting it now he was suppose to become the starter when Hines retires now he will be fighting for a roster spot this summer.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cheerful

Coaching- Mike Tomlin- C

OC- Bruce Ariens- D- Bad play calling to close out games.. I really used to stick up for this guy but that Browns game soured me on him permanently. No way a professional coach doesn't make some adjustments.

DC- Dick Lebeau- C- Mainly because of injuries and the 4th quarter meltdowns. And the 5 game streak where is seemed the team was ill prepared and had no heart.

ST- F Hence the reason this coach was fired. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
zulater
Team Owner

Offensive line.

Max Starks. C+

After the Broncos game I might have gone as high as B+, there was about a five- six game stretch where Max looked like one of the better left tackles in the league. His play declined soon thereafter and never returned to even close to that level. Still he's at least a respectable starter, possibly a little above average. But damn we all saw him shut out Dumervil and Jared Allen. What happened to that guy?

Chris Kemoeatu. B

I'm so close to going B+ here. Chris is really coming on as a player. His pass blocking has gone from poor to a bit above average, and his run blocking is among the best in the conference at the position. I predict Kemo will be in the Pro Bowl next season.

Justin Hartwig. C-

Good guy, great engine, but just isn't big enough, strong enough, or talented enough to keep up the Steeler tradition of outstanding centers. Short yardage situations will be a lot easiar to convert if we get more push from our interior line. I think the Steelers need to upgrade fromJustin.

Trai Essex. D+

Trai is what he is. Good guy to have on the roster because he's versatile enough to play every position other than center. But he's not starter material, and never will be.

Willie Colon. B

The Steelers coaching staff beleive he's their best offensive lineman. And I did too, right up until the last 6-7 weeks of the season. His play really fell off late, maybe he was injured or just wore down? Whatever, we still know he's capable of playing at a very high level. Now it's a matter of being more consistent about it if he wants to make the leap to the next level and compete for a Pro Bowl berth.

Still I've got a hunch ( even before Zierlan's kid came out with his 2 cents) that Willie could be a special player if he was moved to guard.

Ramon Foster. B-

Probably should mark him as incomplete, but I really like what I see from this guy. I think he might be the starting right guard next season.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

You forgot Dixon. I'd give him a solid B, why? Sure, he threw the pick that lost it, but think about it.

He went into Baltimore to face one of our fiercest rivals and nearly won it. One mistake, and it can be chalked up to inexperience. I'll never in my life forget that Holmes pass.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
Mike Wallace should be A+ :P.

Limas must be shitting it now he was suppose to become the starter when Hines retires now he will be fighting for a roster spot this summer.
I have to agree with that grade as well with what little playing time he had he made the most of it. Made some great catches in coverage and knows how to run his routes. He found the endzone quiet often this year.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
Coaching- Mike Tomlin- C

OC- Bruce Ariens- D- Bad play calling to close out games.. I really used to stick up for this guy but that Browns game soured me on him permanently. No way a professional coach doesn't make some adjustments.

DC- Dick Lebeau- C- Mainly because of injuries and the 4th quarter meltdowns. And the 5 game streak where is seemed the team was ill prepared and had no heart.

ST- F Hence the reason this coach was fired. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
I'd go Tomlin C+

The fact the team didn't quit on the season after a 5 game losing streak is a feather in Mike's hat. Overall think he's a good HC, but a couple questionable decisions to go for field goals outside his kickers range really had a negative effect on a couple games. Also the decision to cut Anthony Madison before the season was a poor one and had long range consequence. But I'm ok with Mike going foward.

Arians. C

Too long to get into here and it's covered elsewhere anyway. Bruce is competent, but not great. I wish the Steelers would strive for great at OC given how good their skill players currently are.

Dick LeBeau. C+

The cupboard was too bare this year for Dick to have any chance to excell.

Ditto on the F for special teams.

Probably the worst thing he did all year was one of the least talked about due to all the kick returns. The season changing fake punt the Bengals suckered us on week 3 given the game situation at the time shouldn't have come as a shock, he should have had his team prepared for that eventuality better given the game circumstance imo.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF4i View Post
You forgot Dixon. I'd give him a solid B, why? Sure, he threw the pick that lost it, but think about it.

He went into Baltimore to face one of our fiercest rivals and nearly won it. One mistake, and it can be chalked up to inexperience. I'll never in my life forget that Holmes pass.
Shoot I loved the way he looked vs the Ravens myself. Yeh, he threw the INT in OT, but the guy showed enough to me that he should be our backup for the rest of his current contract for sure.

I would give Big Ben a C+ myself. He just hangs on to the ball too long at times, and that makes our Offensive Linemen look very bad. But as usual he made alot of plays.

Rashard Mendenhall gets an A from me. The guy showed power and pretty darn good speed for a man his size. He looked alot better this year than last as well. He was hitting the holes alot quicker.

Santonio Holmes gets a B- in my opinion. He came on strong at the end of the season, but was not in sight in alot of the early games this season.

Heath Miller always gets an A+ in my opinion. He blocks and he catches Almost Everything that comes his way. I believe that if you put him in Indianapolis with Manning you would not be able to tell if it were Dallas Clark or him in the game.

[SIZE=1]James Harrison was kind of a dissapointment to me this season. Where was all the big plays from last year? Atleast half of them would have been nice. He had a Great player across from him, you would think his sack total would have went up instead of down. Grade C-

Lamar Woodley gets an A+ in my opinion. This guy has emerged in his 2nd season for sure.. The guy in gonna be a star for years to come, I just hope its with our Steelers.
Lawrence Timmons.. D
Entire Secondary other than Troy .. D
James Farrior is showing a little of his age .. C
Ziggy Hood.. B-
This guy is gonna be good in time
Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
James Harrison was kind of a dissapointment to me this season. Where was all the big plays from last year? Atleast half of them would have been nice. He had a Great player across from him, you would think his sack total would have went up instead of down. Grade C-
you mean woodley had a great player across from him. woodley wasn't the one being doubled and/or tripled and held on nearly every play.

harrison - 79 tackles, 10 sacks, and 5 FF. played the last 3 to 4 games with a torn bicep. i think a C- is way too low. the stats don't even represent the hustle and aggressiveness he shows on each play.

anyway, that's my opinion

and you gave timmons a "D"? all i can say is "wow"