Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #21
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Relative to other QB's, how much film study do you think Ben does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
Sigh, okay, so the majority here think Ben is as good as he's gonna get, and that he does everything he can to be as good as he can. So, we can't improve there. Where do you guys think we can improve? Because, nobody's talking about mendenhall either, it's all about the corners and safeties and guards, but IMO Mendy has a LOT of room for impovement too, and HE needs to watch a lot of film as well. I mean, did he run ONE pass play right, coming out of the backfield into the flat? Every team can improve, and every player can improve. Limiting the suggestions as to which players is gonna make a long off-season even longer.

I wonder if Colts fans sat back the first time Manning had a 100 rating and a 4000 yards season and said "This is as good as this guy is gonna get. He doesn't need to watch any more film"
Who said they think Ben is as good as he's going to get? Your quote "This is as good as this guy is gonna get. He doesn't need to watch any more film" in reference to Peyton wasn't said anywhere on this thread about Ben.

Maybe what Ben is doing with game film and preparation is just fine and he is still progressing. Throwing more game film at him does not necessarily determine how much success he's going to have on the field.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #22
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

I think he probably does spend a lot of time in the film room. I think he probably gets it, and does well when quizzed as the preparation continues through the week, and does well in practices. However, I go back to one of my favorite sports quotes (by Mike Tyson of all people): "Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the face."

I don't think he processes information quickly. If you give him a test and he sits there and is able to process it at his speed I would bet he aces it. But in determining what the defense is doing as the play progresses, who is where, move to the next read and make a decision all within 3 seconds, then no, I don't believe he can do that. I think he knows his reads... I just don't think he can process it quickly enough. If there are 4 options on a pass play, I don't think he gets to the 3rd and 4th as many times as he should without scrambling around. Whereas the true elite QBs do so at a much higher success rate. So he's figured out that by moving around things slow down for him and he does get to those reads, or coverage breaks down. That doesn't come without risk though.

Does all of this make me upset at him. Nope. He's brought me 2 Super Bowls doing it his way, and that's fine. I think it ultimately will shorten his career, but you can't argue the facts. He has the hardware, and if he can play another 5 years and average 8 or 9 wins per he'll likely be a first ballot HoF'er.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #23
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,175 Times in 615 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegiesWarriors View Post
I think he probably does spend a lot of time in the film room. I think he probably gets it, and does well when quizzed as the preparation continues through the week, and does well in practices. However, I go back to one of my favorite sports quotes (by Mike Tyson of all people): "Everybody has a plan until they get hit in the face."

I don't think he processes information quickly. If you give him a test and he sits there and is able to process it at his speed I would bet he aces it. But in determining what the defense is doing as the play progresses, who is where, move to the next read and make a decision all within 3 seconds, then no, I don't believe he can do that. I think he knows his reads... I just don't think he can process it quickly enough. If there are 4 options on a pass play, I don't think he gets to the 3rd and 4th as many times as he should without scrambling around. Whereas the true elite QBs do so at a much higher success rate. So he's figured out that by moving around things slow down for him and he does get to those reads, or coverage breaks down. That doesn't come without risk though.

Does all of this make me upset at him. Nope. He's brought me 2 Super Bowls doing it his way, and that's fine. I think it ultimately will shorten his career, but you can't argue the facts. He has the hardware, and if he can play another 5 years and average 8 or 9 wins per he'll likely be a first ballot HoF'er.
That may well be the case. And I certainly agree with your second paragraph.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #24
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

if he didnt do film study, he wouldnt be a 2 time SB champion and one of the best in the league. in the green bay game, the winning throw he made to wallace was his last read on that play, and he made the right decision, same thing with santonio in the SB, he even said he looked to the fullback, then hines, then went all the way back to holmes, made the throw, and i hope u know the rest
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #25
#1 Big Ben Fan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14127

I think Ben is fine and will only continue to get better. I still think he hasn't peaked yet as a player and I think he watches enough film. No not at the level of a Peyton Manning but Peyton Manning watches more film then any player probably in the history of the NFL.

I don't think there is anything wrong either with you being critical of Ben on any part of his game. Sure he has some things to work on but like I said I don't think he has peaked yet. Just give him some more time and in the process we have already enjoyed two Super Bowl titles since he has been the starting QB of our Stillers.

I'm sure Ben wants to win another ring and I'm hoping this disappointment of missing the play-offs motivates Ben even more to torch the rest of the NFL next year.
#1 Big Ben Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,141 Times in 3,471 Posts

big ben studying his playbook-

Old 01-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #27
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Tony, I lol'd.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #28
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
Why? The play that's called is a pass play. It isn't completed. The play loses yards. The effect is the same. I understand that QB can't always throw the ball away, but in many cases it's the QB's decision. I don't see why the QB should be given a break. He knows damn well that throwing the ball away is better than getting sacked because you don't lose the yardage. And if he's not good enough to avoid the sack, i.e. if he can't read the defense quickly enough to either roll out to avoid the rush or to get far enough outside the pocket so he can chuck it out of bounds, then that should count against him. Yean you get some of the sacks in which the offensive line gave it up, but the other QB's get those too.

Question if you are not bashing Ben (not saying you are) what point are you trying to get across?
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #29
WH

Member Number:

Getting rid of the ball has more positives than taking the sack. Ben has a huge arm, he can put it 50 feet over anyones head. It's not like if he bombs it into the stands it's going to get intercepted.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,175 Times in 615 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsteeler View Post
Question if you are not bashing Ben (not saying you are) what point are you trying to get across?
The original post was a question, "how much film study do you think Ben does, relative to other QB's".

The reason I ask the question is because Ben got sacked 50 times. He gets sacked 9% of the time he drops back to pass. But our line is average in the time they give him on pass playes, similar to other lines whose QB got sacked 25-30 times. Not only that, but Ben gets sacked 39% of the time that he gets hit, that's twice as much as guys like Manning, Brady, and Rivers.

It's not just that he needs to get rid of the ball to keep from giving up all that yardage (we led the league with 348 sack yards allowed, and to put that into perspective, our defense only allowed 305 yards per game) and to keep from taking the pounding, because I love to study statistics, and I can tell you that QB's who consistently get sacked 50 times a year break down exponentially as they near 30 years old. If he isn't able to improve on that number, then we're gonna have a broke down, over the hill QB with 60 million left on his contract in a year or two, and he's gonna cost himself a Super Bowl ring or two.

Maybe it's like someone said, he does study, but he just doesn't process the information that quickly. If that's the case, then there's nothing anyone can do about it. If he can do more film study and get it so drilled into his head that he improves his reaction time a half second, maybe he can extend his career.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote