Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Dick LeBeau. Has the game passed him by?

I know he lost his best defensive lineman,and his best overall player, the fulcrum of his defense for the majority of the season, but should that stand as an excuse?

Is Ike Taylor's drop off in play because LeBeau was deploying him wrong? Did James Harrison go sackless his last 7 games because he wasn't being utilized right? I mean many of the problems that we saw last season first cropped up in in the 4th quarter of SB XIII. Maybe it's time for Dick" to get on with his life's work?"

My answers later.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Dick LeBeau. Has the game passed him by?

I'm pretty sure I saw a lot of plays by the defense where the guys were in position to make plays and just missed out on making the plays. Not because of scheme, as much as due to under performance but men who are supposed to be Elite at the positions they play.

Dropped Ints, Missed Tackles, Missed sacks, calling the wrong play in the huddle and having two guys blitz instead of one and leaving a rookie exposed.

I'm not sure the 3-4 blitzing defense is what was wrong with the defense this year, although, I do fault Dick for attempting to deploy the same style defense when he first lost Troy, but using Carter in his place, which was clearly a mistake. Carter doesn't have 1/10th the talent that Troy P has. But he corrected that I thought during the 5 game losing streak, and it wasn't like anyone blew us out this year.

Yes, the inside slant pass will kill a 3-4 Blitz with the Safeties covering over the top of Both Wide Outs (that's the super bowl play Fitz caught for a TD)

yes, its a risk reward type attacking style defense that sometimes gets you a sack fumble return for TD or gives up a 60 yards slant pass for a TD.

But it stops the Run
It sacks QB
And it is Supposed to create Turnovers, our guys just can't catch the ball when it hits them right in the face.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw a lot of plays by the defense where the guys were in position to make plays and just missed out on making the plays. Not because of scheme, as much as due to under performance but men who are supposed to be Elite at the positions they play.

Dropped Ints, Missed Tackles, Missed sacks, calling the wrong play in the huddle and having two guys blitz instead of one and leaving a rookie exposed.

I'm not sure the 3-4 blitzing defense is what was wrong with the defense this year, although, I do fault Dick for attempting to deploy the same style defense when he first lost Troy, but using Carter in his place, which was clearly a mistake. Carter doesn't have 1/10th the talent that Troy P has. But he corrected that I thought during the 5 game losing streak, and it wasn't like anyone blew us out this year.

Yes, the inside slant pass will kill a 3-4 Blitz with the Safeties covering over the top of Both Wide Outs (that's the super bowl play Fitz caught for a TD)

yes, its a risk reward type attacking style defense that sometimes gets you a sack fumble return for TD or gives up a 60 yards slant pass for a TD.

But it stops the Run
It sacks QB
And it is Supposed to create Turnovers, our guys just can't catch the ball when it hits them right in the face.
Good answers dino.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

The game did not pass him by. But I do wished he had apply more pressuer and blitz in the 4th when needed.
He seems to have abcked off a little in 4th and seems to be hesitant. I say push the pedal to the floor
for 4 full qtrs. Not just part of the game. No 60 minute men here.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Great post Dino. Now here is my take on it, when we started running the 3-4 D I beleive we were one of the first ones to start using it. Now it seems like alot of teams are running it, so it is becoming easier to scout and game plan against when your own defense runs the 3-4. When you see it all the time in practice you can find the weak spots and find plays that will defeat the defense. Plus, Troy and Aaron being out killed us, and the secondary, well......
Old 01-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,091 Times in 577 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

There's no doubt in my mind the Steelers will have a top 5 defense next year.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
The game did not pass him by. But I do wished he had apply more pressuer and blitz in the 4th when needed.
He seems to have abcked off a little in 4th and seems to be hesitant. I say push the pedal to the floor
for 4 full qtrs. Not just part of the game. No 60 minute men here.
Gotta remember also, our Defense didn't get much of a rest break. The offense wasn't sustaining drives that well this year, and therefore our D was on the field a ton. Not good when you are an aging unit.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,076 Times in 2,615 Posts

no. infact, we have more teams than ever trying to emmulate the steelers defense. the game has yet to even catch up with him, let alone pass him by.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

On third down, our defense seems to either get a sack (or near sack), or else give up a 15-yard catch and run. This year we were backing off and trying to play straight-up too many times, especially late in the game, and it hurt us.

Also, one better timed play here or there (e.g. Burnett not dropping the ball against the Raiders) and we still make the playoffs and aren't having this discussion.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
There's no doubt in my mind the Steelers will have a top 5 defense next year.
They had a top 5 defense this year. The problem was that they often faltered with the game on the line.

Anyway, I don't believe the game has passed him by. His scheme, while it does have obvious flaws, is solid and a proven winner. I DO think, however, he was way too passive in the 2nd half of games and especially in the 4th quarter. He should be aggressive from start to finish in every game - no soft zone or prevent defense. All that does is get your secondary shredded. I'd rather get beat while being aggressive rather than sitting back and letting the opposing O pick them apart.