Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
rthorsn
Water Boy

Member Number: 13760
Default Can I get some info on 2008 draft class??

As I look over the 2008 draft class I know what everybody is doing now and how they have progressed or been cut but I am clueless on our 4th round pick Tony Hills?? Please give me a heads up on Tony Hills.

Also would just like to add that this is one of the worst drafts in recent memory (excluding Mendenhall) Give me your thoughts on that as well.

Rd Pick Player Selected School Pos
1 23 Rashard Mendenhall Illinois RB
2 22 Limas Sweed Texas WR
3 25 Bruce Davis UCLA DE/LB
4 31 Tony Hills Texas OT
5 21 Dennis Dixon Oregon QB
6 22 Mike Humpal Iowa LB
6 28 Ryan Mundy WVU S
rthorsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Can I get some info on 2008 draft class??

As far as I know, Hills made the team but didn't really play. I think the fact that he got passed up by an undrafted rookie (Foster) could say a lot about his chances of making a contribution long-term. I haven't heard much about him either, but if he was progressing to the point where he was even considered a reliable backup, I think we would've heard something about it.

And yeah ... unless Sweed gets better in a hurry, that looks like a pretty crappy draft other than Mendenhall. Dixon and Mundy seem like they're OK, but if all you get out of rounds 2-7 are two backups, you've got to do better than that.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

hills play tackle where foster plays guard so i dont know if you can say he past him up. But i agree that draft class isnt one of the best for sure. humpel never caught on at LB i think he was injured and never came back from it. bruce davis never panned out and as far as i know never signed with anyone after he was cut last year. sweed he is "ill" and no one has stepped up to say what it is. rushard did really good this year. i was impressed by dixon when he played against the ratbirds. Mundy i still think needs to step it up another notch.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
hills play tackle where foster plays guard so i dont know if you can say he past him up. But i agree that draft class isnt one of the best for sure. humpel never caught on at LB i think he was injured and never came back from it. bruce davis never panned out and as far as i know never signed with anyone after he was cut last year. sweed he is "ill" and no one has stepped up to say what it is. rushard did really good this year. i was impressed by dixon when he played against the ratbirds. Mundy i still think needs to step it up another notch.
Well, Foster came in as a tackle, but got his shot as a guard because of injuries. Just seemed like a vote of confidence that he was the all-around "best" lineman we had among the second-stringers. We've got backup guards too, but they jumped him in front of them as well.

It seems like among our backup linemen, we have two groups: The ones who are actually backups (i.e. we'll put them in the game if someone gets hurt), and the ones who we we are too afraid to put in the game, but we're hoping they'll develop someday. It doesn't seem like Hills has made it out of that second group.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I don't buy into the myth that the Steelers knock it out of the park every year. They do have what appear to be regularly spaced out über-drafts (1998, 2002, 2007, etc.) with some fairly mediocre drafts in between. There are teams that are more consistent than us, to be sure. Indy, Baltimore... I think Arizona has drafted like a champ for decades, but hasn't had a coach that could do anything with those players until Whiz.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Well, Foster came in as a tackle, but got his shot as a guard because of injuries. Just seemed like a vote of confidence that he was the all-around "best" lineman we had among the second-stringers. We've got backup guards too, but they jumped him in front of them as well.

It seems like among our backup linemen, we have two groups: The ones who are actually backups (i.e. we'll put them in the game if someone gets hurt), and the ones who we we are too afraid to put in the game, but we're hoping they'll develop someday. It doesn't seem like Hills has made it out of that second group.
Foster was a tackle in college, but isnt quick enough to play RT in the NFL. That is why he is at guard. Normally teams dress a backup OT and interior lineman.....which still says that Foster is a better player than Hills at this point.

Hills looks athletic, run blocks well, but still seems a bit lacking in strength to hold off rushers in a bull rush. I think he could play RT or guard, but still dont know if he has it to play LT in the NFL. I was on record as wanting Carl Nicks of Nebraska, but am not a professional scout and trust the front office.