Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Raiders could target Bruce Arians.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...t-bruce-arians

Don't be surprised if the Raiders interview Bruce Arians for their upcoming head coaching vacancy. Tom Cable is expected to get the ax because of the way that he handled Al Davis favorite JaMarcus Russell and Arians has a track record of developing quarterbacks.

The demand for Arians is low as is the list of individuals that would even consider taking a job with the Raiders.

Arians was the first NFL quarterback coach of Peyton Manning. He is credited for developing Manning in the early stages of his NFL career. Additionally, Ben Roethlisberger has enjoyed the two best statistical seasons of his career under Arians.

Al Davis could target Arians because of his track record with Manning and Roethlisberger. Additionally, Davis typically wants the Raiders to run a pass heavy offense.

Despite Arians' success as Steelers offensive coordinator, fans and the media are critical of his play calling. During the 2009 season, the Steelers performed poorly on third down and in red zone situations. Many sources claim that the criticism caused Arians to leak information related to his job security. The aforementioned information led some to believe that his firing was imminent.

Although the Steelers have decided to retain Arians for the 2010 season, he only has one year left on his contract and is rumored to want out of Pittsburgh.

Arians would be wise to accept an offer, even if it is from a dysfunctional franchise like the Oakland Raiders. His future in Pittsburgh is questionable and his market value could tank if the Steelers have a bad 2010 season.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Raiders could target Bruce Arians.

I know this is just a blog and therefore as credible as twitter ( ) but far be it from me to want Bruce to miss out on the chance of a lifetime.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

In order to be interviewed a person has to be interested!! I do not see Arians wanting a head coaching job mainly because of health reasons.

Plus it's bleacher report.....I just don't see it happening
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
I know this is just a blog and therefore as credible as twitter ( ) but far be it from me to want Bruce to miss out on the chance of a lifetime.
Well the Raiders got to hire someone don't they?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
stillers4me
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
In order to be interviewed a person has to be interested!! I do not see Arians wanting a head coaching job mainly because of health reasons.

It's Oakland. He only has to worry about working there for a year or or less before crazy Al fires him and then he can retire.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:

What health concerns does Bruce have that would allow him to be an NFL assistant coach but would preclude him from a head coaching assignment?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #7
Nadroj 20
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
It's Oakland. He only has to worry about working there for a year or or less before crazy Al fires him and then he can retire.
So why does that make sense for him?

Or Oakland?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
What health concerns does Bruce have that would allow him to be an NFL assistant coach but would preclude him from a head coaching assignment?
He had prostate cancer.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
Nadroj 20
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Nothing short term..(he did have cancer tho)...IMO if you take a head coaching job your looking to do it for awhile and I actually saw him retiring soon.....maybe after next season

that's why it just doesn't make alot of sense to me....just my opinion
Old 01-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
So why does that make sense for him?
Because he's coming up on the last year of his contract and it's fairly obvious to most that he's not wildly popular within the orginization. With a Head coaching job he'll receive a minimum of a 3 year contract at a greater salary.

Plus Oakland truly has some talent if he can figure out a way to get Jamarcus out of the picture.

For the Raiders it makes sense because there will be very few with resumes comparable to Arains who would have any interest in the Raiders job.

Do I expect it to happen? No

But there's certainly a reasonable chance it could happen.