Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default CBA's Salary Cap "FINAL EIGHT PLAN"

In March, the aggreement between the NFL and the players union will expire and the salary cap will disappear.

I think most people think that means that Some teams will try and "buy" a superbowl...(UH-HUM...Jerry Jones...we are talking to you)...BUT I was thinking, if the salary cap is gone, then the salary minimum is gone also. Which means that there is a chance that in 2010, teams might actually spend less then they did this year.

So I did a little research and found that in Article XXI, Section 3 of the CBA there is a provision that tries to keep teams competitive when there is no spending limit. What this does is limit the 8 best teams (by record) in their ability to sign UFA's

In a nutshell the best 8 teams can sign one UFA for every one player they lose to unrestricted free agency. ..and then it can only be at the same first-year salary the departed player receives at his new team. With other limitiations in effect.

Teams 5-8 may sign one of those UFA's at a first-year salary of $4.9 million and any others at a first-year salary of $3.2 million ....However the top 4 teams will not get this last option.

So Jerry....sorry. But no big salaries this year!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: CBA's Salary Cap "FINAL EIGHT PLAN"

I've heard something about this recently, but I understood "final 8" as being the 8 teams that made the divisional round of the playoffs (in this case, Dallas, Arizona, New Orleans, Minnesota, Indianapolis, Baltimore, San Diego and New York (Jets))? If it is by final record, I would think that would exclude Baltimore and New York as New England and Cincinnati had better records than they did, at least during the regular season.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

What this means (though) is that Daniel Snyder will likely try and bring in a few more FA's to Washington...and heavily frontload their contracts. I can honestly see the Browns doing this too...because Lerner is far from cash-strapped...and he seems interested in bring together one heck of a team.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I've heard something about this recently, but I understood "final 8" as being the 8 teams that made the divisional round of the playoffs (in this case, Dallas, Arizona, New Orleans, Minnesota, Indianapolis, Baltimore, San Diego and New York (Jets))? If it is by final record, I would think that would exclude Baltimore and New York as New England and Cincinnati had better records than they did, at least during the regular season.
You are correct..it is the last 8 teams remaining in the playoffs.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
So Jerry....sorry. But no big salaries this year!!!
Yup! That removes the biggest turd from the punchbowl in 2010.

Now it would seem that all that's left are teams like the Raiders and Redskins, who throw around foolish amounts of money, but are such a mess that nobody wants to play there. Can you win with a team made up of only the most blatant mercenaries in the game? I don't think you can.

Only problem I see is if the Patriots* weasel their way into not qualifying as one of the restricted group and decide to go on a spending spree. Then ahh well, just even more reason to hate their guts.