Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Does no Casey mean a 4-3 is on the horizon?

Does no Casey mean a 4-3 is on the horizon?
Steelers Q&A with Ed Bouchette
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10013/1027920-367.stm
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
The possible departure of Big Snack will leave a big hole in the Steelers' defense. Might the Steelers switch schemes if he leaves?

Q: I was wondering what the Steelers long term plans at NT are? It seems to me like they should have locked up Casey Hampton last year instead of Brett Keisel (solely based on need). I know Ziggy Hood was drafted with high expectations last year, but my understanding is that he will probably end up being a good fit as a 3-4 DE (where we already have Smith and Kiesel for a couple more years). If we lose Hampton is a 4-3 possible given Mike Tomlin's background?

Jayshiv Badlani, Pittsburgh

BOUCHETTE: Ziggy Hood is a defensive end. However, so was Kimo von Oelhoffen when he arrived as a free agent in 2000 and he played nose tackle for one season before Hampton was drafted in 2001. In an emergency, I supposed they could press Hood into that spot, especially with Aaron Smith at one end and Keisel on the other in 2010. Chris Hoke also plays NT. Forget about the 4-3. LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison do not fit the 4-3 as outside linebackers, although Lawrence Timmons could play there. And they do not have the defensive tackles to play the 4-3 on a consistent basis.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10013...#ixzz0cYXLY6VB
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts
Default Re: Does no Casey mean a 4-3 is on the horizon?

I hope we keep Hampton, obviously he can still play at a high level.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

why would she switch to a 4-3 even if Hampton leaves? everyone's familiar with it, we've had a top 5 defense for how many years now with it? and i'm sure Hoke can fill in admirably, or maybe we can draft Terrance Cody if needed to replace Hampton.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #4
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

I don't know how some people get this 4-3 seed planted in their skulls. That topic just won't die.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238

The odds are that we don't switch to a 4-3. ( I brought it up a week ago and many people bashed me) However, I don't think we'd drop that much running 4-3 oppose to a 3-4. Like Ed said, Woodley and Harrison are not 4-3 OLBs. BUT, they could easily be 4-3 DEs, since they blitz 90% of the time anyways. Timmons would also be a beast 4-3 OLB.
IMO, here's what our 4-3 lineup would look like, considering we lose Hampton.
DEs= Woodley & Harrison & Kiesel as a backup
DTs=Smith & Hood
OLB= Timmons & Fox (Fox played some OLB in KC)
MLB= Farrior at least til we get some younger talent (Farrior lead the league in tackles as a Jet when they ran a 4-3)

Just sayin...
SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
BOUCHETTE: Forget about the 4-3. LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison do not fit the 4-3 as outside linebackers, although Lawrence Timmons could play there. And they do not have the defensive tackles to play the 4-3 on a consistent basis.
Seems to me like any of the defensive linemen we have now could play tackle in a 4-3. Woodley doesn't need to be an OLB because he would probably be a DE or one of those DE/LB hybrids. Timmons certainly seems quick enough to be one OLB, and I don't know what's wrong with Harrison.

Seems more to me like if there's no Hampton, we have pretty good personnel for a 4-3, with the added benefit of not needing as many MLBs, which we are thin at, and also not needing to find a 330+ pound nose tackle, which there is about one of available per year and he goes in the top 10 of the draft. That's been a huge problem since everyone started copycatting us, and it's only getting worse.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238

Finally, someone agrees with me. We do have the personnel to run the 4-3, but idk if we'd change considering how successful we have been running the 3-4. I think it all depends on if we resign Hampton, or draft Cody.
SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain0815 View Post
The odds are that we don't switch to a 4-3. ( I brought it up a week ago and many people bashed me) However, I don't think we'd drop that much running 4-3 oppose to a 3-4. Like Ed said, Woodley and Harrison are not 4-3 OLBs. BUT, they could easily be 4-3 DEs, since they blitz 90% of the time anyways. Timmons would also be a beast 4-3 OLB.
IMO, here's what our 4-3 lineup would look like, considering we lose Hampton.
DEs= Woodley & Harrison & Kiesel as a backup
DTs=Smith & Hood
OLB= Timmons & Fox (Fox played some OLB in KC)
MLB= Farrior at least til we get some younger talent (Farrior lead the league in tackles as a Jet when they ran a 4-3)

Just sayin...
I'm sorry, no offense intended, but I don't see the logic in this. While Woodley certainly could play DE, James Harrison is not a DE. If you look at his pass rushing moves they mostly require that he attack the OT from off the line. OTs have trouble getting their hands on him because he either goes around them, or gets a full head of steam and gets under their pads, aided by the fact that he is so short.. Easier to do off the line, IMO. In addition, Farrior clearly started to slow last season. So, we are going to give him more territory to cover? Moving to the outside backers. Yes, Timmons would fit in at outside backer, but Fox would be playing out of position. Also, who exactly would be our backups at linebacker? You are starting our top five linebackers from this season. Finally, Kiesel had one of his best years. The first half of the season I thought he was exceptional. He seemed to slow a bit at the end. Not sure if it was due to injury, or maybe he was getting more attention from opposing teams without Smith.

Again, it's just an opinion, but running a 4-3 with this personnel just doesn't seem to be a logical choice to me.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
The possible departure of Big Snack will leave a big hole in the Steelers' defense.
the steelers have shown to play better with hoke in.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Steelers could easily switch to a 4-3, but the only issues is that Harrison doesnt fit and is under contract for some big $$$. I think Its pretty much a given that they are gonna stay 3-4.