Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Did Steelers make mistake with Tomlin?

Did Steelers make mistake with Tomlin?
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...17-Steigerwald
This article has been read 218 times.

Did the Steelers let a good one get away? They obviously got a good coach when they decided on Mike Tomlin three years ago this week. Not too many 34-year-old head coaches win Super Bowls in their second year. In fact there's never been a younger NFL head coach with a Super Bowl ring.

But, was he a better choice than Ken Whisenhunt?

Whisenhunt took the job in Arizona when it became obvious that he wasn't going to be hired by the Steelers. That meant he was leaving an organization that has been synonymous with winning for most of the last 35 years and going to a team that had won one post season game in its history and had lost at least 10 games in each of its previous three seasons.

Tomlin inherited a team that was two years removed from winning a Super Bowl. He also inherited Dick Lebeau as his defensive coordinator. How many wins was that worth? Whisenhunt had to put together his own staff in Arizona and the team went from 5-11 in 2006, to 8-8 in 2007, 9-7 and a trip to the Super Bowl in 2008 and 10-6 in 2009 with one win in the playoffs going into this weekend's divisional round.

He came within one or two plays of beating Tomlin in the Super Bowl.

Tomlin put up a 9-7 record this season.

What if he puts up another 9-7 record next season and Whisenhunt has the Cardinals playing in mid-January again? That's a big if, but it would definitely raise legitimate questions about the Steelers decision three years ago.

(rest of the article is not about the Steelers - mesa)

As usual, most of the outrage over college football coaches blowing off their contracts and changing jobs is misplaced.

Lane Kiffin is obviously a snake for leaving Tennessee for USC after only one year, but he wouldn't have gone if someone at USC, including the president of the university, hadn't signed off on the idea of going after him. The NCAA has managed to come up with rules about how many phone calls a coach is allowed to make to a high school kid but it can't come up with a rule about one college going after another college's head coach?

The NCAA could pass a rule tomorrow that says any coach who leaves a school while he is under contract can not coach at any other NCAA school for one year. Coaches leaving their employers and players in the lurch is nothing new and it's not even close to being the biggest problem with college football.

If he media spent half as much time focusing on and worrying about the fact that one third of the teams that went to bowl games this season graduated less than half of their African-American players, as they spend on where coaches are going and how much money they're being paid, colleges everywhere would be much better served.

The fact that the NCAA doesn't allow players whose coach bails on them to transfer and maintain their eligibility, speaks volumes about its concern for the players' well being.

The top recruits agonize over what school to attend, and who their coach is going to be is almost always the decisive factor. If the NCAA really cared about the kids, it would have the decency to allow them to change programs when they've been betrayed by their coach.

But we've all seen enough over the years to know that some of America's finest universities sold their souls a long time ago.

Kiffin is way down on the list of the NCAA's biggest image problems. At least he should be.

n How stupid does Mark McGwire think that baseball fans are? He finally came clean last week and said that he took steroids during his playing days, but, in the same breath, said that he thinks he would have hit just as many homeruns without them.

Maybe steroids make you think that other people's heads are as think as yours, but is there a person in America who buys his line about only using the juice to help him recover from injuries?

McGwire talked about the grueling 162-game season and how he needed help to get through it.

Has this guy ever been to a hockey game?

The Penguins played a hundred games last season. From April to June, when baseball players were spending half their time sitting on a bench spitting sun flower seeds, they were being hit with sticks and smashed into walls.

They're finishing up a road trip right now that included games on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. And unlike baseball, the games were played in different cities.

Here's what a baseball player's daily schedule is like if he is on the road:

Wake up at noon.

Call room service and see if they're still serving breakfast.

Maybe go to the gym and workout. Maybe take a walk.

At about 3 p.m., take a cab or a limo to the ball park.

Play cards.

Take batting practice.

Infield practice.

Play some more cards.

Play a game during which you spend at least half of your time sitting and 40 percent of your time standing around.

Take a cab or a limo to a nice restaurant or club and stay out until 2 a.m.

Yeah, it had nothing to do with hitting the ball farther. It was all about the grind.

John Steigerwald writes a Sunday column for the Observer-Reporter
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Did Steelers make mistake with Tomlin?

I think we would have done just fine with Whiz........and I think we will be fine with Tomlin. From what I gather, Ariens still would have promoted to OC, LeBeau would still be DC. And Troy and Aaron still would have gotten hurt and there ya go.

Really, 3 years is a drop in the bucket in evaluating the legacy of Mike Tomlin. Maybe, just maybe, Whiz may have taken a larger role in the direction the offense was taking, but we will never know that. Whiz took the HC job in 'Zona before the decision was made, and the real choice came down to Tomlin and Grimm. Grimm still doesn't have HC job, so obviously we made the right choice.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
MaidenIndiana
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10557
My Mood: Twisted

While I'm interested to see how Tomlin will react to the adversity the team faced this past season, I still believe he's the right coah. Nothing against Whisenhunt, but if the people running the organization had wanted him to be the Steelers head coach, then he Would have been selected. How good is Arizona going to be next year if as expected Warner retires? And yes Arizona did come within a couple of plays of beating the Steelers, BUT THEY DIDN'T! I belive Tomlin will make the moves that will allow the Steelers to return to the playoffs next year. In 3 regular seasons, Tomlin has a 31-17 record (65% winning percentage). Overall he's 34-18 ( again 65% winning percentage) Pretty impressive if you ask me

Last edited by MaidenIndiana; 01-17-2010 at 10:52 AM.
MaidenIndiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
What if he puts up another 9-7 record next season and Whisenhunt has the Cardinals playing in mid-January again?
Arizona plays in a division that is so-weak that almost any above-average team will win the division, and gain a playoff birth, while 'em Stillers will again play home-n-home with the '09 WC Purple-Browns, the '09 AFCN Champs Bungles, and what will be an improving Cleveland franchise, travel to 23'-below to play the Aints, and host the '09 AFCE Champion Patriots* & '09 WC Jets:
AFCN > NFCW

Tomlin is familiar with the defensive side of the game, a rarity in today's pass-n-tab League, kinda like boxing against a southpaw:
he offers 'something-different', and I think he'll be Ok in the long-run
Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
groundhogday
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5248

All I know is we have a SB with Tomlin. That's good enough in my opinion of who we should have chosen. Although I have occassionally watched AZ play, I don't recall many in-game gaffes called by Whiz...going for 2 from the 12, the onside kick, etc. However, if Whiz were coach, there is no guarantee we win the SB.
groundhogday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

I have some concerns about Tomlin. We will see whether those are false concerns soon enough. I like Whiz but after yesterdays debacle, I would stick with Tomlin for now. I do believe he has done more to upgrade ARiz than Tomlin has done to upgrade the Steelers. Of course he started with garbage and Tomlin started with a roster full of solid players.

Next year will tell a lot........about both
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

No.

Well, unless it is also true that they made a mistake with Bill Cowher too.

Fluff piece this early in Tomlin's career.

Now, if he goes 6-10 next year, or 7-9, and he has a healthy Polamalu and Aaron Smith all season, yeah, we can start to question.

Let's be honest folks.

80% of winning in this league has to do with the players, and even moreso, the QB.

Look at the QBs still playing.

Rivers
Manning
Brees
Farve
Romo

,,,Sanchez???

Give either of those QBs a decent defense and you've got a Super Bowl contending team.

Big Ben and Brady fit in with that group.

Big Ben and Brady aren't playing right now because the defenses played subpar. (in the case of the STeelers, it was also special teams playing subpar)

Belichick wouldn't do squat with Kordell Stewart or Kent Graham as his QB. Neither would Tony Dungy.

Cut Mike some slack.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

It's to soon to tell. Whiz has done a great job in Arizona but Tomlin has here too. Next year will tell us a little more. If we continue with wide open pass first defense and abort the run early when we are averaging 6-8 YPC then I would say we did make a mistake. If he continues to tell us he wants to run and lets BA do whatever he has no control over this team IMHO.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich4eagle View Post
I have some concerns about Tomlin. We will see whether those are false concerns soon enough. I like Whiz but after yesterdays debacle, I would stick with Tomlin for now. I do believe he has done more to upgrade ARiz than Tomlin has done to upgrade the Steelers. Of course he started with garbage and Tomlin started with a roster full of solid players.

The only concerns with Tomlin right now, IMHO, is whether he can
*improve the special teams play ( we'll have a new coach),
*offensive line play (we have a new coach),
*add youth and speed to the defense (key part of the offseason) and
*improve situation play calling (put a foot in Arians ass...DON'T SCRIPT 20 pass plays OR allow Ben to throw the ball most of the time in zero degree, 30 mph wind situations).

Seems pretty basic to me.

So far this offseason has gone as it should for the STeelers. We need to see what they do in the draft and what free agents they bring in.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich4eagle View Post

I wouldn't call Boldin, Fitz, James and Dansby "garbage." It also helps that they play in the worst division in the NFL.

Anyway, let's see what he does without Warner and maybe Boldin.