Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,343 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Best Steeler First Round Pick In Last Decade: Polamalu Or Roethlisberger

As draft season approaches, there is much speculation and anticipation over what the Steelers will do with their first round pick. Will they trade up, trade down, pick the best available player, or fill a high priority need? With so many key players facing free agency, trying to answer this question sparks great debate.

I began thinking about the Steelers’ first round picks in the last 10 years. Roethlisberger, Polamalu, Hampton, Holmes, Miller, Mendenhall. It’s a who’s who of current Steeler greatness.

Considering this list, who would you choose as the biggest impact player? Who is the best first rounder the Steelers have chosen in the last decade? Is there a clear answer? Bring on the debate!

If I had to narrow down the list, I would focus on Roethlisberger, Polamalu, and Holmes. As big a fan as I am of Santonio, I think Ben and Troy would be considered the two finalists. Santonio is a great receiver, but his accomplishments thus far in his young career do not hold up against the likes of Roethlisberger and Polamalu.

So with the final two choices selected, who is the best first round draft pick in the last 10 years?

Let’s start with Big Ben. Drafted in 2004 (11th overall) out of Miami (OH), he has become a premier quarterback in the league. His list of accomplishments is growing year by year. Ben led the Steelers to two Super Bowl victories in four years (Super Bowls XL and XLIII)—with the most recent win achieved through a superior fourth quarter drive and a beautiful spiral to the corner of the end zone to Santonio Holmes. In the 2009 season, he became the first Steeler quarterback to throw for more than 4,000 yards. He also set the franchise record for most yards thrown in a single game (503) against Green Bay. He has more wins (51) in his first five years than any other quarterback in NFL history. The list doesn’t stop there.

Let’s a take a look at Polamalu. Drafted 16th overall in 2003 out of USC, Troy is easily one of the top safeties in the NFL. He is a five-time Pro Bowler, and considered by many to be the “face” of the Steelers. He epitomizes the Steelers’ brand of in-your-face football, and there is nothing more exciting than seeing him streak across the field in hot pursuit. Sadly, there are few record categories on the defensive side of the ball, but Polamalu is clearly an impact player whose presence on the field can never be minimized.

So how does one go about making such a decision between the two? They play on different sides of the ball and have responsibilities that cannot be compared.

In making my decision, I chose to focus on impact. Ben and Troy would both rank high on this scale. In narrowing the choice, for me Troy is the bigger impact player.

Roethlisberger makes a big impact for the Steelers, no doubt. But in reality, he is helped in his efforts by great receivers in Holmes and Hines Ward. Many of his receptions have come off of great catches by both of these men. Lesser receivers would not have made many of these plays. In Ben’s first few years in the league, he was fortunate enough to have Jerome Bettis in the backfield as an impact player himself.

Let’s be honest. As much as we love Roethlisberger, he makes many of us incredibly nervous with some of his decision making. As he has matured, we have seen his play-making ability get stronger, but many of Ben’s fourth quarter heroics become possible because of earlier misjudgments or miscues on his part.

With Troy, we are not nervous. It is when he doesn’t play that we hang our heads. The 2009 season is proof of that. The defense wasn’t the same. When Troy played, the team was 4-1. Without him they were 5-6. The defense went on a seven game stretch with no interceptions—only to be broken by James Farrior against the Ravens on December 27. Teams were not afraid to throw the ball against the Steeler defense. In fact, it almost seemed that they were excited by the prospect. In 2008, the Steelers were first in the league in passing defense. In 2009, sans Troy, we fell to 16th.

Polamalu’s impact may not be as measurable in the form of individual records, but his impact can be clearly seen in the increased performance of his defensive teammates, in the emotion that he brings to the field, and the fear that he brings to opposing teams. When he is not in uniform, the Steelers seem lost. They play as though they are a mediocre team at best. In 2009, they were without Polamalu. In 2009, they did not resemble a defending world champion.

With that said, my vote for the Steelers’ best first round draft pick in the last decade is Troy Polamalu. I know there will be some that disagree. Let’s hear the debate...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...roethlisberger
Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 AM   #2
Boomerang
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7503
Default Re: Best Steeler First Round Pick In Last Decade: Polamalu Or Roethlisberger

I would say Ben,his ability to still make a play when most QB,s succumb to a sack has won us countless games.

"Don't doubt me, because that's when I get stronger.. ..Marvin Hagler
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Best Steeler First Round Pick In Last Decade: Polamalu Or Roethlisberger

Probably would have 3 other SB wins in the 90's with a real QB....Ben with out a doubt
Old 01-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Ben doesn't make me nervous anymore. What makes me nervous is watching Troy get hit.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Prok
Team Captain

Member Number: 8921

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Probably would have 3 other SB wins in the 90's with a real QB....Ben with out a doubt
Gotta agree there. The franchise QB trumps all. But damn is Troy P a close second. If he had less injury issues it'd be even closer.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Ben, for reasons already mentioned. With only Troy, we'd be in the same boat as we were in the '90s and early this past decade - an excellent defensive team that would continue to consistently fall short in the postseason due to opposing defenses stacking the box against the run and a journeyman QB (at best) effing things up by throwing picks at the absolute worst times when we would be forced to pass.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Ben, without him, we probably don't win those 2 SBs.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Definitely Ben. After seeing what we got out of 20 years with great defenses and mediocre revolving-door QBs, that's a pretty easy call.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

If I had to pick I would say Ben but I think Troy is equally as good in what he provides on the defense as Ben does on the offense. Steelers have a long tradition of have some great draft picks.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Milkman
Starter

Member Number: 1055

D. Revis "should have been" part of this discussion (if only the FO would have made sure to get him...).

Us against the world...STILL!
Bring it suckas!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote