Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
redundantman
Water Boy

Member Number: 2354
Default Redundant Thoughts 2010 – Divisional Playoffs

1. I’d call that an almost perfect weekend of football. Perfect weekends of football involve the Steelers winning. The Ravens lose (and blame the refs of course), the Saints win (and who doesn’t love the Saints amiright?), the Cowboys lose (did we ever doubt?) and the Chargers choke. Sour grapes sure are delicious.

2. Boy howdy the Ravens looked like crap again. I can’t emphasize that enough: they looked terrible. Flacco is either having the worst of the Sophomore Jinx or he is starting to show his true abilities (or lack thereof).

3. The clichés were thicker than pea soup all weekend. The commentators couldn’t talk enough about the Cowboys being the “hottest team in the NFC”, the Chargers were the “hottest team in the AFC”, the Ravens and their “awesome defense”, Rex Ryan and his bravado, Brett Favre and his ability to “play the game like a kid” … blah blah blah

4. Speaking of which, if you just love to watch a couple of guys play the game like a couple of kids then you should have been watching the Cowboys and Vikings … actually this is a setup you perv! Chris Hanson will be at your front door momentarily (with a nod to the Sports Pickle).

5. I was driving in today listening to the Stephen A. Smith show (it was on accident I promise). Smith was talking to some nob about QBs and Rivers and his class came up. The nob mentioned that Rivers hasn’t done anything but he still considers him the best of the class. Now that’s enough to make me want to kick a puppy but guess what Smith’s response was: “Eli already has a ring.” And then he backs up his point with the notion that Eli didn’t have much of a team and did it all on his own.

6. I have ZERO sympathy for the Chargers or their fans. I will never forgive them for beating the steelers in the ’95 championship game and then rolling over and trying to get their bellies scratched by the 49ers in the Super Bowl. That and they live in San Diego (a.k.a. paradise). You can’t have Super Bowls San Diego! Not yours!

7. So it is with glee every year that I watch the snot-nosed punk Phillip “Mr. December” Rivers get bounced from the playoffs early. I don’t doubt that next year the Stephen A. Smiths of the world will, in an attempt to sound wise and knowledgeable, take Rivers over Ben but in the meantime it’s Schadenfreude weekend at my house.

8. And Tony Romo … every year we listen to how Mr. November is going to lead the Cowboys to the Super Bowl and every year we get to tell them we told you so. It’s like the non-lottery players making fun of people who buy lottery tickets but frankly the people buying lottery tickets have a much better chance of winning millions of dollars than Romo has of ever taking a team to the Lombardi trophy.

9. Every commentator in speaking of the Cowboys defeat made the following excuse for Romo: He was running for his life! He was sacked 6 times! I watched that game and what I saw wasn’t anything that Ben typically overcomes in any given game. But the sports mouths will line up to make excuses for Rivers and Romo and wax eloquently on why they would take either of them over Ben.

10. Have you noticed a trend to my comments here? Ben is underrated.

11. So where do they go from here? I think the Saints-Vikings game comes down to whether or not Favre has a meltdown. I’m looking for the Saints to come in flat so if Favre gets rolling it could make for another boring playoff game.

12. Jets-Colts … the Colts defense looked dang good against the Ravens but who doesn’t? Clearly the better defense is the Jets. Clearly the better offense is the Colts. I’m looking for Sanchez to finally collapse and the Colts to win.

13. My rooting interest is basically gone from the playoffs now so meh on the rest of it.
redundantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,199 Times in 439 Posts
Default Re: Redundant Thoughts 2010 – Divisional Playoffs

Quote:
5. I was driving in today listening to the Stephen A. Smith show (it was on accident I promise). Smith was talking to some nob about QBs and Rivers and his class came up. The nob mentioned that Rivers hasn’t done anything but he still considers him the best of the class. Now that’s enough to make me want to kick a puppy but guess what Smith’s response was: “Eli already has a ring.” And then he backs up his point with the notion that Eli didn’t have much of a team and did it all on his own.
Ha. Ha ha ha. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bigmouth (Smith) needs to stick solely to discussing the NBA. The Giants' defense won SB XLII. Eli was simply along for the ride and got MVP due to his last name. And Ben being completely dissed by people who don't know jack shit about the game is nothing new.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
LamarrWoodleysFade
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13538

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Ha. Ha ha ha. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Bigmouth (Smith) needs to stick solely to discussing the NBA. The Giants' defense won SB XLII. Eli was simply along for the ride and got MVP due to his last name. And Ben being completely dissed by people who don't know jack shit about the game is nothing new.
Yea, because Eli didn't lead his team down the field for a game winning drive, right? And save that David Tyree catch excuse 'cause that would not have been possible had Eli not played Houdini in the pocket.

I'm by no means a Giants fan/supporter, but people kill me acting like Eli didn't do a damn thing to get his team that Lombardi. He did better than Ben did in his FIRST Super Bowl...
LamarrWoodleysFade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarrWoodleysFade View Post
Yea, because Eli didn't lead his team down the field for a game winning drive, right? And save that David Tyree catch excuse 'cause that would not have been possible had Eli not played Houdini in the pocket.

I'm by no means a Giants fan/supporter, but people kill me acting like Eli didn't do a damn thing to get his team that Lombardi. He did better than Ben did in his FIRST Super Bowl...
And it took Eli twice as long to GET to his first SB. What kills me is that many don't think Ben even merits a mention in the discussion of the QB class of 2004.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
LamarrWoodleysFade
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13538

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
And it took Eli twice as long to GET to his first SB. What kills me is that many don't think Ben even merits a mention in the discussion of the QB class of 2004.
Does it REALLY matter how long it took Eli to get there? You act like he took all his career to get a ring. It took him just 4 seasons. Most players aren't that lucky.

Anyone in their right mind would give Ben discussion, they have no choice BUT to, especially after this season. Contrary to popular belief amongst most Steelers fans, the majority of people hold Ben in a high regard. Just because SOME people don't think he's the best in the class doesn't mean it's the end of the world and people hate him.

And honestly, it's not a stretch AT ALL to ARGUE that Phillip Rivers is or par with Ben (or maybe even better). But that's a another argument for another time...
LamarrWoodleysFade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Ravens O looked horrible but their D is better than ours. So it's a wash.

A rookie QB will not go to the Super Bowl

S A Smith made me switch stations

Until Romo Or Rivers can win the big game they are just stuck with Palmer in the second tier.

Last edited by steeltheone; 01-18-2010 at 09:07 AM. Reason: mispelled word
steeltheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarrWoodleysFade View Post
Anyone in their right mind would give Ben discussion, they have no choice BUT to, especially after this season. Contrary to popular belief amongst most Steelers fans, the majority of people hold Ben in a high regard.
On that point we'll agree to disagree, because I've seen far too much evidence to the contrary, the radio discussion cited by the OP being the latest example. At the same time, I really don't care either. Two rings in his first five seasons says enough to me.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
WH

Member Number:

Speaking of Stephen A Smith.

hee hee hee hee