Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
There are two kickers in this draft that have very good accuracy and both have a stronger leg than Reed. Does Reed know how to play the Heinz Field winds? Sure. But by using that logic we can NEVER get another kicker.
That's pretty much the heart of the matter. People are still so scared of Kris Brown that they think any kicker other than Reed is going to be like that. Well, no. Reed's better than Brown or any of the other fill-ins we had after Gary Anderson, but THERE ARE OTHER KICKERS WHO ARE JUST AS GOOD.

After the last couple weeks, it's also suddenly become fashionable to say that since OMG, Nate Keading and Shawn Graham missed some field goals, it proves that OMG, all the elite kickers in the league are unreliable -- except Reed, of course. They even take great pains to point out JUST HOW GOOD Keading or Graham are ... it's like "OK, we'll go to great lengths to prove that ANY kicker is vulnerable -- and now turn around and say that doesn't apply to our guy, because Reed somehow magically gets an exemption."

Whatever. We can keep Reed or we can lose him as far as I'm concerned, but people just need to get the hell over it and realize that one day we're going to have a new kicker and it probably isn't going to make a drastic difference.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I have lived through "growing pains" before. I can handle them again.
You can. And I can too. But many in the rest of our fanbase has shown that they can't, especially recently. Many of them can't understand or accept that sometimes rookies screw up, and some of those screw-ups may end up hurting the team. That's why I said in another thread that if the team wants more young players to get into the lineup sooner, then the majority of the fans need to understand that mistakes are going to happen and that it's part of the learning process.

Quote:
To be honest, one of the reasons that I love the Steelers is that they traditionally havent been like the rest of the league. Skippy just doesnt fit into my own personal image of what I want our players to be like. (And to be honest...since I work in Law Enforcement...Skippy's little posturing act to the cops makes me want to stick a tazer up his ass.....so it could very well be a personal thing).
Well, he is fighting that charge, so take that for what it's worth. Anyway, you are correct that the Steelers do have an image to uphold and I am glad that, for the most part, they maintain that image. But they are not squeaky clean by any stretch of the imagination and I don't pretend that they aren't (not saying you do).
Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I agree and really hope they can bring back Jeff Reed.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
illmatic
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14597

I definitely agree, bring him back. I don't understand all the criticism against him. People like to blame a couple of losses this season on him, but no kicker is perfect, and Jeff Reed is on the higher end of good kickers in the league
illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

There's someone on these forums that insists that there is no such thing as "playoff pressure." When will they learn. If we keep him, i just hope he gets better at kicking the ball off
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
SuzyPeppercorn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2955

I hope they resign Reed for a reasonable price but don't overpay for him. I sure would hate to see a rookie kicker in there next year when the game is on the line.

If does come down to getting a rookie kicker, hopefully we can find a hidden gem.
SuzyPeppercorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Yeehaw

We should make him a fair offer....certainly not paying him higher than the other 31 kickers in the league....but we should be fair....If he doesn't like that offer, we can let him go....and yes, find a replacement elsewhere....how good was Pitr (sorry if spelling is wrong) this is our practice squad...last preseason.

However if we do resign him...does anybody know if our punter can kick off? He has some down time now, how bout seeing if he can give it a shot...can't do much worse, and he has a strong enough leg.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

I don't know what to do about Reed, really. He's such an amazing field goal kicker (I'm just going to forget that Chicago game ever happened) but he's gotten pretty bad on kickoffs. Ordinarily, I'd say show the guy the door; it's not too hard to find a good kicker who can do both.

But after watching SO many kickers blow field goals (and ultimately, games) this season, I'm starting to realize how blessed we are to have Jeff.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I understand about growing pains, and all teams will go through them. I just don't want someone like a rookie kicker to going through his growing pains while we have the likes of Ben, Troy, Holmes, Miller, Wallace, Harrison, etc. The window of opportunity is is growing smaller with each year. After Ben is gone, who knows how long we will be looking for the next great Steelers QB. ( and that time may come sooner than we think if he continues to get a concussion every season)
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Steelers must re-sign Reed
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019/1029240-87.stm

As the CBS television cameras showed San Diego Chargers kicker Nate Kaeding making the long, slow, agonizing walk toward the team's locker room Sunday night and the premature start of another difficult offseason, one thought kept coming to mind:

Somewhere, Jeff Reed must be smiling.

Like a butcher's dog, actually.

It's not as if Reed takes pleasure from Kaeding's pain. NFL kickers make up a small, close-knit fraternity. When one has a rotten day -- as Kaeding did in the Chargers' shocking 17-14 playoff loss to the touchdown-underdog New York Jets -- they all share in the hurt. Each man knows if he kicks long enough, there's a good chance he's going to be in those cleats one day.

But Reed's value as a kicker never seemed greater than when the All-Pro Kaeding missed a 40-yard field-goal attempt with 4:38 left and the Chargers trailing, 17-7. It was Kaeding's third miss of the day. The man who is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, had missed just three kicks all season and had made 69 in a row from 40 yards-and-in also missed from 36 and 57 yards earlier in the game. It might have been the biggest postseason collapse by a kicker since former Steeler Gary Anderson missed for the Minnesota Vikings from 38 yards in the Metrodome in the 1998 NFC championship game, denying the Vikings a trip to Super Bowl XXXIII. Anderson had been 39 for 39 to that point.

"I'm not gonna feel sorry for myself," Kaeding said. "I feel sorry for my teammates, coaches and support staff here. I feel like I let everybody down."

It wasn't just Kaeding, who had a rough time in these playoffs. Arizona's Neil Rackers missed from 34 yards at the end of regulation against the Green Bay Packers Jan. 10 in a game the Cardinals were fortunate to win in overtime. Cincinnati's Shayne Graham missed from 42 and 28 yards in the second half of the Bengals' 24-14 loss to the Jets a day earlier, prompting Bengals coach Marvin Lewis to say, "It is a shame, and it killed us."

I'm thinking Reed would have made all of those kicks. He's that good. He's that dependable.

I'm also thinking the Steelers need to do whatever it takes to keep Reed before he can become an unrestricted free agent March 1. Putting the franchise or transition tag on him are options. Doing a long-term contract with him is a better choice.

Yes, Reed comes with baggage. He has had two highly publicized, alcohol-related incidents in the past year. He faces a preliminary hearing Feb. 11 in Allegheny County Municipal Court for misdemeanor charges of simple assault and resisting arrest and summary charges of public drunkenness and disorderly conduct after an incident Oct. 18 outside McFadden's Bar on the North Side after the Steelers' game with the Cleveland Browns. Last February, he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief charges after police said he beat up a towel dispenser and harassed employees at the Sheetz store in New Alexandria.

Reed and his agent have disputed the charges in the more recent incident, agent Don Henderson saying that Reed "basically got attacked by the police." No matter what happened that night, it's nice to think it sobered up Reed and made him realize he has to do a better job watching his behavior under the bright public spotlight. It's nice to think he won't be an embarrassment to himself, his family and his team again.

As despicable as the two incidents might have been, they shouldn't stop the Steelers from doing a new deal with Reed if they are convinced he has matured. Certainly, the incidents won't stop other NFL teams from approaching him. A great kicker isn't easy to find, especially one who has proved he can kick in poor weather conditions and on less-than-perfect turf at Heinz Field. Ten of the 32 NFL clubs used at least two kickers this season.

Reed had his Kaeding moment -- on a much lesser scale -- when he missed from 38 and 43 yards in the Steelers' 17-14 loss Sept. 20 to the Chicago Bears. There's no reason to think he'll have another any time soon. After that game in Chicago, he finished the season by making 25 of 27 field-goal tries, the misses from 52 and 53 yards. He also has made 16 consecutive postseason kicks, going back to his rookie season in 2002.

What the Chargers and Bengals would have given to have Reed in these playoffs.

The Steelers must find a way to keep him.
Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com. More articles by this author
First published on January 19, 2010 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019...#ixzz0d3fBCZoR
why he lost two games by himself and never won a single,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,game,,,,,,,,,,,,

he is useless on kickoffs
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote