Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #21
Psyychoward86
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,463
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10772
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich4eagle View Post
why he lost two games by himself and never won a single,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,game,,,,,,,,,,,,
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:52 AM   #22
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter
 
Galax Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galax Va
Posts: 84,003
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3287
Thanks: 963
Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,296 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Sooner or later we are going to have to replace Reed. Like LLT said they are a couple of good ones in the draft why not try and get one and start grooming him to replace Reed when we decide to let him go.
__________________
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #23
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Just to put things into perspective.

I WOULD sign Reed, but not at the price he is asking. He has seriously overvalued his worth and as I said before, his off-field crap takes AWAY from his value as far as I am concerned.

As far as any fear that those in the forum may have in regards to the possibility of us having to start next season with a rookie...here is some food for thought.

Comparing (rookie) kicker Ryan Succop to (veteran) Jeff Reed.

1-19 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

20-29 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

30-39 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 94%

40-49 yards
Succop 86%
Reed 80%

50+ yards
Succop 40%
Reed 0%

I'm just asking that we all be honest with ourselves about Skippy. The truth of the matter is that when having to kick a FG past 40 yards...Reed is the #23 ranked kicker in the NFL.

In regards to TB's on Kickoffs he is ranked #29. (He had 3...David Buehler from Dallas had 29)

In regards to Kickoff average (59.8) he is ranked #33 ...not a typo...#33, which means that someones backups or replacement kickers did better than he did

Sure, sign him. But only for what he is worth. Not what he thinks he is worth. Otherwise we all need to take a long hard look at the draft.

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 01-20-2010 at 05:39 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 AM   #24
zulater
Team Owner
 
zulater's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,883
Member Number: 5296
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Just to put things into perspective.

I WOULD sign Reed, but not at the price he is asking. He has seriously overvalued his worth and as I said before, his off-field crap takes AWAY from his value as far as I am concerned.

As far as any fear that those in the forum may have in regards to the possibility of us having to start next season with a rookie...here is some food for thought.

Comparing (rookie) kicker Ryan Succop to (veteran) Jeff Reed.

1-19 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

20-29 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

30-39 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 94%

40-49 yards
Succop 86%
Reed 80%

50+ yards
Succop 40%
Reed 0%

I'm just asking that we all be honest with ourselves about Skippy. The truth of the matter is that when having to kick a FG past 40 yards...Reed is the #23 ranked kicker in the NFL.

In regards to TB's on Kickoffs he is ranked #29. (He had 3...David Buehler from Dallas had 29)

In regards to Kickoff average (59.8) he is ranked #33 ...not a typo...#33, which means that someones backups or replacement kickers did better than he did

Sure, sign him. But only for what he is worth. Not what he thinks he is worth. Otherwise we all need to take a long hard look at the draft.
The kid had a nice rookie season. But he only had the game riding on his foot once all season. That being when he kicked the game winning 22 yard fg in OT
vs. the Steelers. Not to diminish what he did, but kicking a 22 yarder isn't exactly earth shattering, and doesn't go much towards proving him to be reliable in the clutch.

Besides I don't think the Chiefs plan on releasing the kid to accomadate us if Reed flies the coop.

Now if your point is that you can get a kicker with the last pick of the draft you're right. Hell I'll even go you one further than that, the Steelers found Reed in the middle of the season at a free-agent tryout camp.

But just as you can't bank the future of your franchise on getting your qb ( if you need one) after the 5th round because the Patriots got Brady in the 6th round, you can't expect to go the the scrap heap again and find a reliable field goal kicker.

Bottom line is that there probably isn't a team in the NFL that plays more close games than the Steelers. The Steelers are a team with expectations, therefore there's very few throwaway fg's when you're their kicker. In other words you can take a Kris Brown kicking for a Texan team for years with no expectations of being in the playoffs, and he'll knock everything inside of 55 yards in nine out of ten times. But put him on that same team, andt they actually have a real chance to make the playoffs, and he starts gagging every other kick after half time.

You just can't assume how real pressure will affect someone who's never been there. You've got a proven quanity in Reed, do you really gamble your next season on someone with no track record?

Oh and by all means get a kickoff specialist to do those duties. No doubt Reed is sub par in that area.
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #25
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 720
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2162
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Just to put things into perspective.

I WOULD sign Reed, but not at the price he is asking. He has seriously overvalued his worth and as I said before, his off-field crap takes AWAY from his value as far as I am concerned.

As far as any fear that those in the forum may have in regards to the possibility of us having to start next season with a rookie...here is some food for thought.

Comparing (rookie) kicker Ryan Succop to (veteran) Jeff Reed.

1-19 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

20-29 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

30-39 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 94%

40-49 yards
Succop 86%
Reed 80%

50+ yards
Succop 40%
Reed 0%

I'm just asking that we all be honest with ourselves about Skippy. The truth of the matter is that when having to kick a FG past 40 yards...Reed is the #23 ranked kicker in the NFL.

In regards to TB's on Kickoffs he is ranked #29. (He had 3...David Buehler from Dallas had 29)

In regards to Kickoff average (59.8) he is ranked #33 ...not a typo...#33, which means that someones backups or replacement kickers did better than he did

Sure, sign him. But only for what he is worth. Not what he thinks he is worth. Otherwise we all need to take a long hard look at the draft.
100% IMO there's nothing more that needs to be said on this.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #26
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
The kid had a nice rookie season. But he only had the game riding on his foot once all season. That being when he kicked the game winning 22 yard fg in OT
vs. the Steelers. Not to diminish what he did, but kicking a 22 yarder isn't exactly earth shattering....
No it isnt . But Succop kicked a 53 yarder this year and the longest that Reed kicked was 46 yards (which means 30 kickers connected on longer field goals then Reed)


Quote:
Besides I don't think the Chiefs plan on releasing the kid to accomadate us if Reed flies the coop.
Not sure where you are going with this...I never mentioned a trade. I am just showing that we can survive a season with rookie kicker.

Quote:
Now if your point is that you can get a kicker with the last pick of the draft you're right. Hell I'll even go you one further than that, the Steelers found Reed in the middle of the season at a free-agent tryout camp.

But just as you can't bank the future of your franchise on getting your qb ( if you need one) after the 5th round because the Patriots got Brady in the 6th round, you can't expect to go the the scrap heap again and find a reliable field goal kicker.
If Reed keeps up his demands, I think the correct course is to draft Leigh Tiffin from Alabama with a late 5th round pick. IF we wait until the 7th I would take a gamble on Aaron Pettrey of Ohio State...who was my first choice before his surgery.

Quote:
Bottom line is that there probably isn't a team in the NFL that plays more close games than the Steelers.
Actually that is not true... The Panthers,Broncos, Dolphins, and Giants all have the distinction of beating us in that category this year.

Quote:
You just can't assume how real pressure will affect someone who's never been there. You've got a proven quanity in Reed, do you really gamble your next season on someone with no track record?

Oh and by all means get a kickoff specialist to do those duties. No doubt Reed is sub par in that area
As I have said...Reed should go ONLY if he continues to overvalue his worth. If he demands more than a FO would think to be prudent...then yes, the answer is you gamble on a rookie or bring in a FA.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #27
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 7,435
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5713
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Reed is def. a must sign and this team wants him to stay there is no doubt about that, but the money he is asking for is just too much.
Reed's skills are just not as they were. He can't get the ball in the endzone in kickoffs, and any field goal over 45 yards in pretty much out of his range anymore.

There is just too much potential in the league for him and as well in the NFL draft this season.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #28
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,852
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 229
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Just to put things into perspective.

I WOULD sign Reed, but not at the price he is asking. He has seriously overvalued his worth and as I said before, his off-field crap takes AWAY from his value as far as I am concerned.

As far as any fear that those in the forum may have in regards to the possibility of us having to start next season with a rookie...here is some food for thought.

Comparing (rookie) kicker Ryan Succop to (veteran) Jeff Reed.

1-19 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

20-29 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 100%

30-39 yards
Succop 100%
Reed 94%

40-49 yards
Succop 86%
Reed 80%

50+ yards
Succop 40%
Reed 0%

I'm just asking that we all be honest with ourselves about Skippy. The truth of the matter is that when having to kick a FG past 40 yards...Reed is the #23 ranked kicker in the NFL.

In regards to TB's on Kickoffs he is ranked #29. (He had 3...David Buehler from Dallas had 29)

In regards to Kickoff average (59.8) he is ranked #33 ...not a typo...#33, which means that someones backups or replacement kickers did better than he did

Sure, sign him. But only for what he is worth. Not what he thinks he is worth. Otherwise we all need to take a long hard look at the draft.
Skippy Hater!!!! I bet you like Jif instead.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #29
zulater
Team Owner
 
zulater's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,883
Member Number: 5296
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
Reed is def. a must sign and this team wants him to stay there is no doubt about that, but the money he is asking for is just too much.

Really? Got a link? Because as far as I know they haven't even opened up discussions on his next contract?

Reed's skills are just not as they were. He can't get the ball in the endzone in kickoffs.


Granted.


, and any field goal over 45 yards in pretty much out of his range anymore.

and we know this because...? The truth is the situation just didn't arise this year where Reed was asked to kick one between 47-50 yards. The year before he was pretty good between 45-50, so I really don't think his leg is capped at 46.

There is just too much potential in the league for him and as well in the NFL draft this season.
I've seen many a hot shot college kicker who aren't worth squat in the NFL. They might look good in august, but you really don't find out what they're about until you're in a wind blown nip and tuck divisional game in Novemember. You lose that game because your kicker can't find the uprights from 38 yards don't come crying to me afterwards.
__________________
"A man's got to know his limitations."
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 AM   #30
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Steelers must re-sign Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Skippy Hater!!!! I bet you like Jif instead.


No...I just try and look at our team from the viewpoint of value/talent...understanding that there is an actual budget that has to be accounted for.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts