Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325
Default TE in the late rounds???

What do you think of the Steelers drafting a TE in the late rounds so they can compete with Matt Speath.....Matt is really not doing anything and I think he should be replaced or atleast have competition this season so he can step up his game!!!

Anyways here are some guys that I would REALISTICALLY like the the later rounds:

5th/6th TE Jimmy Graham, 6'8" 260lbs, 4.65 40 time.....Miami

This guy is extremely ATHLETIC as well as RAW!!!! He played in the basketball team for the Hurricanes from 2005-2008....He decided to play football in his last year at Miami...He hadn't played football since his freshmen year in high school...but the thing is he is sort of a project...He is very agressive and displays excellent effort when blocking.....I would like the Steelers to take a chance on him in the 5th/6th round so he can compete w/Speath and the other below average TE on our roster....I think he can develop into an Antonio Gates type of player....but will probably have better blocking skills because of his physique...

7th/FA TE Caz Piurowski, 6'7" 271lbs, 4.86 40 time....Florida State

This TE suffered a knee injury that will make him miss the combine....This would most likely cause him to fall to the 7th round....This guy is a really good blocker and he would fit the mold of our type of blocking TE...He's sort of between a TE/OT in terms of his physique....I think he would be a better TE in our system than Matt Speath(Matt is soft when it comes to blocking) if he completely recovers from his injury....

FA TE Jeff Cottam, Tennessee, 4.65 40 time....

Jeff Cottam like his brother are blocking TE...I think he would be worth a shot in the 7th or even as a FA....purely because of his blocking ability not due to his physical characteristics....Ohh and by the way he's also very athletic for his size.....

All in all I would want the Steelers to draft TE Jimmy Graham because I think he would develop into a Gates type player but a way better blocker.....Graham to me @ least seems to be a sleeper in this upcoming draft!.... let me know what you think of these late round TE prospects...If you have someone that would be in the late rounds REALISTICALLY.....let me know who they are....

TE Graham:

taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Default Re: TE in the late rounds???

Sorry about the huge pictures...I couldn't make them smaller....lol....
Old 01-23-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,902 Times in 1,636 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think it would be worth a shot if we could get one in the later rounds of the draft. Like you said Speath is not doing anything and needs some competition.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I agree with you that Spaeth is a liability at blocking. We need a good blocking TE who has soft hands. Nate Byham from Pittsburgh is 6'4 and 268 lbs. He is a great blocker and a much better reciever than many people realize.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,806 Posts

i'd like to have collin peek from bama... might be the best blocking TE in the class.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i'd like to have collin peek from bama... might be the best blocking TE in the class.
Holla McGhee!!!!!!!

I think he will be gone by the middle of the 4th.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I agree with you that Spaeth is a liability at blocking. We need a good blocking TE who has soft hands. Nate Byham from Pittsburgh is 6'4 and 268 lbs. He is a great blocker and a much better reciever than many people realize.
That's the guy I was thinking

He looks like a tough blocker. Didn't see enough of hi games to consider him a good receiver, but he'd be the perfect compliment as a blocker besides heath. Him, Miller and Johnson seems like a good tight end crop

Plus he's a local product so he may get a chance
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
That's the guy I was thinking

He looks like a tough blocker. Didn't see enough of hi games to consider him a good receiver, but he'd be the perfect compliment as a blocker besides heath. Him, Miller and Johnson seems like a good tight end crop

Plus he's a local product so he may get a chance
He is a team player...He thought that he was going to be the primary recieving TE this year but Wannsedt changed things up and penciled in TE Dorin Dickerson as the the recieving TE and made Byham a blocking TE....which helped make Pitt the #1 rushing team in the Big East.

Here is what he said in regards to being slotted as a blocking TE.

Quote:
"It started out, coming into the season, I thought I'd get a few more balls thrown my way....But once it started to progress, I learned my role in this offense. The offense is different than it was in the past, so my role is different. But I'm very content with it. I feel like I'm doing a great job just doing what they ask me to do in this offense, and that's really all I can do.'
Gotta love the attitude.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

Your absolutely right...How can I forget about this guy...this guy can be somebody they can look @ in the later rounds.........He is a very good blocker and like u said "[Byham is] a much better reciever than many people realize".....

Old 01-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Thats another guy I was thinking about but unfortunately he is a 3-4th round prospect ...not a late round TE...Your right he might be the best blocking TE in this class and that's why he'll most likely go in the 4th round.....I watched some some of his games and his blocking is solid....I think Colin Peek's receiving skills are underrated....but he'll probably go in the 3-4th because of his blocking alone....