Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Bobby_Walden
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15491
Default Have we found our future OC ?

Quote from article on Sean Kugler:

"Just a solid, no-nonsense line coach," team president Art Rooney II said of Kugler, who started his new job Monday with the Steelers. "I think he's our kind of guy."

Results will ultimately determine whether that's the case.

This much, however, is certain: the man known as "Koogs" will be a key figure in fulfilling the mandate Rooney II recently issued when he said the Steelers need to do a better job of running the ball and keeping quarterback Ben Roethlisberger upright.

---------

Just what we needed.

After Mr. Rooney let coach T know the direction the Steelers would be going in...this much seems clear. A tough, no nonsense guy is just what the Dr. ordered. It will be fun to see what happens when a guy like this rolls into camp cupcake. No doubt some are due for an awakening.

Hopefully "Koogs" rubs off on a few people. Need to get back to that nasty, flatten 'em kind of run blocking so many of us grew up on. Getting pumped up for the neew season and were still months away from the draft.

Thank Mr. Rooney for providing direction.

Steeler Fan from the 70's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Walden
Bobby_Walden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,014 Times in 1,870 Posts
Default Re: Have we found our future OC ?

Haven't you been told we don't need to run the ball, thats who we are now, a passing team.

Let the bashing begin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Atranox
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15471

Oh boy, another one of these threads. How insightful.

Yes, lets pound the rock 55-60% of the time and win 0 Super Bowls like we did with Bettis.
Atranox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Haven't you been told we don't need to run the ball, thats who we are now, a passing team.

Let the bashing begin.
Yes, the Steelers are a pass-first team. What's wrong with that? When you've got the weapons that they have, why not use them? However, that does NOT mean that they shouldn't strive to run the ball more effectively when they need to run it. The Saints don't seem to have much of a problem running the ball when they need to - I think they were in the top 10 in rush yards/gm during the regular season, and they are a pass-first team. Shouldn't that what we should be striving for? Being good at both? I just do not understand this aversion to the passing game that many people have.

EDIT: Saints were #4 in pass yards/gm and #6 in rush yards/gm. They attempted 544 passes and 468 runs. That's 76 more pass attempts than rush attempts, and yet they still managed a top-10 ranking in rushing yards. That's the kind of offense I want to see here, and the kind of offense everyone should want to see here given the personnel they have.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 01-22-2010 at 11:05 AM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Results will ultimately determine whether that's the case.
That's the bottom line. Though I am encouraged by what I've read about this man and am anxious to see what he can do with our OL next season, I doubt very much he is going to be groomed to be or handed the position as OC after his first season with the Steelers as an OL coach.

Conspiracy theory #110.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,014 Times in 1,870 Posts

Quote:
The Saints don't seem to have much of a problem running the ball when they need to - I think they were in the top 10 in rush yards/gm during the regular season, and they are a pass-first team. Shouldn't that what we should be striving for? Being good at both
That's all I'm asking for. I never said we should go back to three yards and a cloud of dust. Just make the commitment to having a good run game and use it effectively. But I'm sure someone will come along and tell me why I'm wrong.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #7
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I doubt very much he is going to be groomed to be or handed the position as OC after his first season with the Steelers as an OL coach.

Thank you!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Back in 1897, the championship team ran the ball 100% of the time.

This guy is the classic one-trick pony. His posts either directly, or in this case indirectly, bash Arians. Can't we just combine them all into one stupid thread and bury it on page 3?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Yes, the Steelers are a pass-first team. What's wrong with that? When you've got the weapons that they have, why not use them? However, that does NOT mean that they shouldn't strive to run the ball more effectively when they need to run it. The Saints don't seem to have much of a problem running the ball when they need to - I think they were in the top 10 in rush yards/gm during the regular season, and they are a pass-first team. Shouldn't that what we should be striving for? Being good at both? I just do not understand this aversion to the passing game that many people have.

EDIT: Saints were #4 in pass yards/gm and #6 in rush yards/gm. They attempted 544 passes and 468 runs. That's 76 more pass attempts than rush attempts, and yet they still managed a top-10 ranking in rushing yards. That's the kind of offense I want to see here, and the kind of offense everyone should want to see here given the personnel they have.
This is where the problem begins. I dont see where the poster that you quoted said anything about an aversion to the passing game. I dont see where he inferred that the Steelers should be a 3 yard and a cloud of dust team.

Anybody that believes we should have a better running game, or committ more to running the football is instantly labelled a dinosaur living in the 70's or a Cowherball devotee....and is subsequently attacked for it.

Yes, the Saints are productive running the football and they get Mike Bell, Pierre Thomas and Reggie Bush involved by running behind talented guards like Jahari Evans and Carl Nicks. I think where some take exception is that the Steelers dont seem to committ to getting Mendenhall, Parker, Moore as involved in the run game, or allow Kemoeatu or Essex to run block.

As for Kugler being the future OC.............where the heck did the OP get that.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

As for Kugler being the future OC.............where the heck did the OP get that.
From here:
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=47094

But he needed his own thread for it.