Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Steelers greatest legacy for me.

Most people consider the Steelers 6 Super Bowl titles as their greatest legacy. Hard to argue with, it certainly sets them apart from the pack. But that's not it for me.

Others might claim the 20 Hall of Famers who either played for or were involved with the Steelers for the majority or a significant portion of their careers as their greatest legacy. Again close but no cigar. ( for me anyway)

Still others might claim the Rooney's and the way they operate a franchise as the Steelers greatest legacy. It's hard to argue with the sort of stability that has allowed a team to operate with a total sum of 3 Head coaches in the past 40 years, none which have been terminated by the orginization. Very close, but still not it for me.

No for me the Steelers greatest legacy is the fact that they've played in 14 AFC title games since the AFL-NFL merger 40 years ago. If you discount this Sunday's coming game and only count games actually played to date that comes out to 14 title game appearances in 39 games played. That's better than a 1-3 ratio! This is how dominant they've been. Even if you threw out the 70's, a decade in which they appeared in 6 conference championship games, they still have the most AFC title game appearances from 1980 on with 8!

Now that's impressive, i don't care who ya are.

Last edited by zulater; 01-23-2010 at 12:34 AM.
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
zulater
Team Owner

Default Re: Steelers greatest legacy for me.

FYI for anyone who cares. Here's the total number of AFC conference championship game appearances for all teams since the merger.

Steelers 14, Raiders 11, Dolphins, Patriots, and Broncos 7, Colts 6*, Bills 5, Titans 4**, Chargers 4, Jets 3**, Browns 3, Bengals, Ravens, and Jaguars 2, Chiefs 1.

* two appearances as Oilers.

Since 1980.

Steelers 8, Patriots 7, Broncos 6, Bills and Raiders 5, Dolphins, Chargers, and Colts 4**, Jets** and Browns 3, Bengals, Jaguars, Titans, and Ravens 2, Chiefs 1. .

** 2009 AFC title game inclusive.

Last edited by zulater; 01-23-2010 at 12:36 AM.
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
pghfrank1948
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11942

The greatest legacy I believe is the Steeler Nation. Fans all over this country are dedicated to the Black and Gold. Does my heart good to see the support the team gets everywhere they play. I just wish they were playing Tomorrow!!! I take a SB every other though!!!
pghfrank1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
Steeldude
Living Legend

doesn't that mean the steelers are 6-8?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
doesn't that mean the steelers are 6-8?
7-7. We've played in seven Super Bowls, winning six.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghfrank1948 View Post
The greatest legacy I believe is the Steeler Nation. Fans all over this country are dedicated to the Black and Gold. Does my heart good to see the support the team gets everywhere they play. I just wish they were playing Tomorrow!!! I take a SB every other though!!!
Good points. I don't know if there's a major city in the country that doesn't have a decent Steelers bar in it. You can't say that about any other team.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
7-7. We've played in seven Super Bowls, winning six.
whoopsie

i got mixed up with 6 SB wins
Old 01-23-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Winning means everything, but In the end what matters to me is i could introduce my Daughter to being a Steeler fan at a young age and feel at ease about it. The kind of family run organization you do not see anymore. Morals and values remain. I don't have to worry about most of the issues other teams do with players. I know we are not perfect, noone is. But it is nice having players a youngster can look up to.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Most people consider the Steelers 6 Super Bowl titles as their greatest legacy. Hard to argue with, it certainly sets them apart from the pack. But that's not it for me.

Others might claim the 20 Hall of Famers who either played for or were involved with the Steelers for the majority or a significant portion of their careers as their greatest legacy. Again close but no cigar. ( for me anyway)

Still others might claim the Rooney's and the way they operate a franchise as the Steelers greatest legacy. It's hard to argue with the sort of stability that has allowed a team to operate with a total sum of 3 Head coaches in the past 40 years, none which have been terminated by the orginization. Very close, but still not it for me.

No for me the Steelers greatest legacy is the fact that they've played in 14 AFC title games since the AFL-NFL merger 40 years ago. If you discount this Sunday's coming game and only count games actually played to date that comes out to 14 title game appearances in 39 games played. That's better than a 1-3 ratio! This is how dominant they've been. Even if you threw out the 70's, a decade in which they appeared in 6 conference championship games, they still have the most AFC title game appearances from 1980 on with 8!

Now that's impressive, i don't care who ya are.
Awesome dude...............but of course you must give the Rooney family due credit...............

for making it happnen................:appl audit:

da Steelers de best damn franchise in all of Sports
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

To the me, everything makes the Steelers the greatest organization in pro sports. The Super Bowl victories, all the HOFer's, the "Rooney" traditions, the Terrible Towel, "real" Steelers fans, us who stick with the team through thick and thin and not give up on the team when they don't do so well. No matter what happens... going to stick with them till the day I die.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote