Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
SteelerEmpire
Head Coach

Member Number: 14355
Default Riding Out Unemployment Benefits ??

Article:

BILL RADKE: Here's a word we heard a lot at the beginning of the year: "funemployment."

Remember that? You make the most of your layoff by enjoying your free time to the hilt? Somehow, the fun seemed to wear off as the recession ground on.

But back in April reporter Julie Rose of member station WFAE in Charlotte, N.C., did find some folks who could afford to enjoy their misfortune.

Julie Rose: The subject line of the e-mail read "LAID OFF!!" -- all caps, two exclamation points. It was from my friend Jenny Van Stone, an interior designer. I felt terrible thinking of her down in the unemployment line. But a few weeks later, I started getting e-mails from her that were like, "Hey, can't write now. Off to meet a friend for coffee." Or "Headed to the park. We'll talk later."

Jenny Van Stone: As long as I get my resumes out, I make a little bit of an effort to look for work, gosh it's a great feeling. It is like being on vacation some days. Like 'What do I want to do today?'

I tell you what I'd like to do is get home from work just once this week before the sun sets. And I know this sounds awful, but I'm jealous of Jenny. She's doing more yoga, taking road trips and her social life's booming.

Van Stone: I can stay out later at night because I can take a nap the next day if I'm worn out. Now I have flexibility.

You could say flexibility and freedom are the upside to being laid off. If there is an upside. But the unemployment grass isn't always as green as it seems.

I meet Yaqui Benson at an after-hours mixer for people who've been pink-slipped. She's been out of work for two months.

Yaqui Benson: I do take time out and go to the movies. I'll go volunteer. I'll go and visit with friends. It keeps me from focusing so hard on the fact that I don't have a job, because it can be depressing.

Nonprofits say they're getting lots of calls from unemployed people with extra time on their hands. Jeff Steiner's started volunteering, too, since he was laid off from a Charlotte law firm in August. He says he's not treating unemployment like a party, but he knows people who are.

Jeff Steiner: People who haven't done a thing literally since August, that will go out drinking seven nights a week til 2 a.m. every night. You know, I mean it's dumb.

Maybe he's not out drinking every night, but Jeff's also not exactly hurting. With a nice severance package, he has the luxury of taking a little time to decide what comes next.

Steiner: You know getting a job at a large, top 50 law firm these days is an absolute disaster. So you've got to use this time to either reinvent your career path, or you can say alright let me tread water doing something I hate and hope that in two years there's a position waiting for me.

That's how Jenny's taking things, too -- especially since interior design jobs are hard to come by.

Van Stone: It's about not jumping onto the first thing available. It's about finding the right thing for me. I definitely feel like there's been a huge silver lining. And I'm looking at it as an opportunity, more than a crisis.

Jenny's fortunate that losing her job didn't plunge her into immediate crisis, and she knows it. But she's going on four months without work now. The unemployment checks will soon stop coming and her savings will eventually run out.

So, she's given me permission to envy her free time. As long as I remember that it comes with a price.

In Charlotte, N.C., I'm Julie Rose, for Marketplace.

Radke: And here are some updates on the people we just met:

Jenny Van Stone moved this summer to take a part-time job teaching design at a college. She's looking for another part-time job to make ends meet when her unemployment benefits run out in a few weeks.

Jeff Steiner moved back to D.C. and got a job as an attorney-advisor for a government agency.

Yaqui Benson got hired on as a temp worker at Bank of America and got permanent status.

So, all three of them start the new year employed!

Within the next 6 months the majority of everyone who lost their jobs during the recession will run out. After reading this story, I wonder if most of them are simply "riding out " their benefits til they run out and then begin looking for work. Will be interesting to see what the jobless rate will look like by the end of summer...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: Riding Out Unemployment Benefits ??

That's weapons-grade stupid considering how bad the job market is. When their benefits run out they'll have no income and it'll take them a long time to find a job.

They won't be counted in the unemployment rate though--they won't be considered part of the work force.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Gotta agree with Godfather's "weapons-grade stupid" comment. Considering I have a mortgage, I'd be a bit too stressed out to "enjoy" unemployment in the event I were laid off. And I'd spend every waking moment sending out résumés and pounding the pavement looking for work until I found it if I were in that situation.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

I have been wondnering if the high unemployment rate can factor into the continuing lack of initiative from bums like this...Once you are a part of the system, it is so easy to be lazy & make the minimum effort to look for a job. And even that has gotten easier with the online applications-they just take your word for it & the system keeps paying out. Sure, I could be gettin those checks & sending online esumes to NASA & Lockheed-Martin, knowing full well that they will not hire me, but hey, I did my due diligence, keep sending that free check! I don't actually have to go out & beat the bushes to get a job anymore so I can feel free to apply for just about anyhting & call it an effort.
Disgusting.
God Bless the USA.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by beSteelmyheart View Post
I have been wondnering if the high unemployment rate can factor into the continuing lack of initiative from bums like this...Once you are a part of the system, it is so easy to be lazy & make the minimum effort to look for a job. And even that has gotten easier with the online applications-they just take your word for it & the system keeps paying out. Sure, I could be gettin those checks & sending online esumes to NASA & Lockheed-Martin, knowing full well that they will not hire me, but hey, I did my due diligence, keep sending that free check! I don't actually have to go out & beat the bushes to get a job anymore so I can feel free to apply for just about anyhting & call it an effort.
Disgusting.
God Bless the USA.
You're missing the point.

1) Unemployment benefits are time-limited. Once the clock runs out you're screwed. So you can go ahead and take a smaller check than you got for working and not make a serious effort but in the end you're only hurting yourself. It just puts you in a situation where you're behind the curve when you need the income and there's nothing more coming from the government.

2) That check is not free. You paid taxes before you got laid off. They were hidden from you because your employer paid them on top of your gross pay, but that's really an accounting trick to make you think you're paying lower taxes. Everyone who works pays into the system, and that's where the benefits come from when someone gets laid off.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote