Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 02-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #11
marksashton
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1333
Default Re: Stopping Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInCA
It will take more than Alexander getting 85 yards to win. He could get 85 yards but it will probably come in garbage time when the score no longer matters. Once we open up the passing game on you and build our lead, Alexander will be out of your formula.
I wasn't precise enough I guess. If Alexander gets 85 productive yards, the Seahawks win. 85 yards from Alexander plus another 30 from Morris and out FB will open up the passing game enough for Hasselbeck to throw well. If "productive" yards is too vague, I'll still stick with my original prediction. Alexander gets 85 yards, Seahawks win. :)

Just my two cents.
marksashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
Large_Ant
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1464

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInCA
It will take more than Alexander getting 85 yards to win. He could get 85 yards but it will probably come in garbage time when the score no longer matters. Once we open up the passing game on you and build our lead, Alexander will be out of your formula.
Just to play devil's advocate, if Shaun's yards come in garbage time (i.e. we're still running the ball in garbage time), wouldn't that generally mean the Seahawks would be winning? Nobody runs the ball and winds the clock when they're losing. Food for thought.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031

against the Jags he rushed for 73 yds on 14 carries and 0 TD's the Jags won 26-14
against the Skins he rushed for 98 yds on 20 carries and 1 TD the Skins won 20-17
against the Cowboys he rushed for 61 yds on 21 carries and 0 TD's Seattle won 13-10
against the Eagles he rushed for 49 yds on 19 carries and 2 TD's Seattle won in a defensive blowout on Monday nite 42-0
against the Packers he rushed for 73 yds on 20 carries and 1 TD the Pack won 23-17(don't know if he played the whole game or not)
other then these stats hes been a monster in games against defensively inept teams like Atlanta in the second game of the season,Arizona(x2),SF(x2),StL(x2) and Houston...but on the other side of these stats is the Seattles O line which is a damn good group of players and Alexander IS a good RB he can find the holes his line creates and has pretty good speed to break into the secondary.But...and this arguement is always going to come up...Seattle has not faced a defense like the Steelers especially against the run...Hampton will play a big part in clogging up the middle and with the physical abilities of our LB's and Polamalu flying around everywhere Shaun will have nowhere to go and that folks will be the beginning of the end for the Seachickens.....

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:10 PM   #14
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large_Ant
Just to play devil's advocate, if Shaun's yards come in garbage time (i.e. we're still running the ball in garbage time), wouldn't that generally mean the Seahawks would be winning? Nobody runs the ball and winds the clock when they're losing. Food for thought.

What if it's a SD v SF type SB, and like 55-3 with 10 minutes left? I'd consider a Shaun Alexander TD against our back-ups a garbage time TD.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #15
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
What if it's a SD v SF type SB, and like 55-3 with 10 minutes left? I'd consider a Shaun Alexander TD against our back-ups a garbage time TD.

If Pittsburgh scores 55 points, i'll give the site 200$
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:19 PM   #16
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady12
If Pittsburgh scores 55 points, i'll give the site 200$
LOL...I was speaking hypothetically.

I consider at least a couple of the TD's scored against the Steelers this post-season "garbage time" TD's, but, then again, I also think that we blew all 3 teams out, even the Colts. The final score of that game had it been reffed by competent officials was probably 28-10.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #17
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i dont know if john riggins just doesn like him but he has been questionning his toughness for 3 weeks, after he was to concussed to come back into the game against washington, yet was on camera hopping and jumping around, all laughing and smiling. he said back in his day they would be back out on the field. now i know we know more about cuncussions now a days and seattle could beat washington without shawn.

riggens went as far to suggest that shawn was ducking the spotlight in a big game and cracking under pressure, as he brought up all his past play off failures. said that shawns preformance in the champ game and sb if they got there could have a huge effect on his contract status.

could shawn have playing for millions of dollars on his mind?

jerome is playing for.......well, we all know the jerome bettis story now.

(anyone remember willie 'bout to break out" parker?)
Thats a rep that has dogged Alexander in some circles for a few years now. Probably made worse by his limited production in the playoffs (until the the Carolina game.

In regards to the Skins's game, the team would not let him back in the game because of their assessment of him right after the injury. It wasn't his choice. And Holmgren has a pretty liberal policy for letting people play after a consussion. No nuerologist would have let Tatupu back in after the knock he took hitting Goings a week later, but Holmgren did.

Having worked with trauma patients for many years, I do know that people who have concussions may seem fine soon after but may be experience symptoms and effects that show up much later. To add another injury on top of it (which is more probable after the first hit) could cause permanent damage or worse...

So anyway, I think his Skins game critics like Riggins are just plain ignorant. Plus, I think the contract is more incentive for him to play hard. Even if he has won the MVP, if he hadn't ever done well in a playoff game it would have a signicant impact on is rep and therfore contract $.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #18
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Priority number 1 for the Steelers defense is always to stop the run..this sunday will be no different.. Stopping Alexander will be key, atleast to control and limit what he can do.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:30 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,753 Times in 3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
Thats a rep that has dogged Alexander in some circles for a few years now. Probably made worse by his limited production in the playoffs (until the the Carolina game.

In regards to the Skins's game, the team would not let him back in the game because of their assessment of him right after the injury. It wasn't his choice. And Holmgren has a pretty liberal policy for letting people play after a consussion. No nuerologist would have let Tatupu back in after the knock he took hitting Goings a week later, but Holmgren did.

Having worked with trauma patients for many years, I do know that people who have concussions may seem fine soon after but may be experience symptoms and effects that show up much later. To add another injury on top of it (which is more probable after the first hit) could cause permanent damage or worse...

So anyway, I think his Skins game critics like Riggins are just plain ignorant. Plus, I think the contract is more incentive for him to play hard. Even if he has won the MVP, if he hadn't ever done well in a playoff game it would have a signicant impact on is rep and therfore contract $.
ive always liked alexander. he gets that rep for the similar reasons joey harrington is called soft, (cause he plays the piano). its all in the perception. i think its pretty bogus, after all walter payton and polamalu are 2 of the softest spoken people you would ever hear, but would never guess it if you just watched them in the field of play. alexander has always seemed like a good dude to me and someone who plays the game hard, an i think he shouldve been the leading rusher last year too.

its only fitting that the steelers face the league mvp on the #1 seed team in the nfc to cap of what could go down as the greatest playoff run of all time.

is it wishful thinking? of course

is it likely? yes

wouldnt any fan be rooting for a dream season ending like this? most definitely

in regards to riggins, i didnt really buy into his take cause, like i said, we know alot more about [the potential long term damage of] concussions than was known 20 years ago. steelers have had several ex-players die here recently which directly or indirectly may have resulted from "punch drunk" syndrome.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:54 AM   #20
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Number 1 I think we need to shut down the cut back lanes.....We can not over persue!!! This will be key...If you watch film on him he is very good at breaking off run routes and cutting back...If we are over persuing then he will pick up some good yardage....We had this problem in the 1st Indy game...Loss...We did a much better job the 2nd time....Win!

I think also that if you put a big hit on him he will not run with the same power! If you ding him then I think he goes on tilt! I'm not sure if you should completly try to shut down the run rather I would try to contain him and make sure he does not break any 30-40yd runs.