Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default The 2009 Steelers. Your Verdicts.

The 2009 NFL season is grinding to a close. One more game. So it's time to put down your final verdict on our Steelers season, which ended weeks ago.

+Finished with a winning 9-7 record.
+4,000 yard passer
+1,000 yard rusher
+Finished the season in Miami
+Steelers Offense sets records
-Swept by the Bengals.
-Missed the playoffs after winning it all. Again.
-Lost to three of the dregs of the league including Cleveland.
-Poor Defense esp. in 4th quarter
-"Unleashing Hell", then losing to the Raiders
-"Special" Teams

I really don't know what to make of this season. I consider it worse than 2006 despite the better finish. So many positives, yet so many negatives. I know we can't win the SB every year, but we could've done better. Oh well.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
Acerinox
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15579
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: The 2009 Steelers. Your Verdicts.

For me, the season distils to this. We were outstanding in brief flashes, perfectly adequate most of the time.
But three things destroyed us.
1. Inability to punch in points in the redzone.
2. A vulnerable secondary that could be gouged for long plays at will.
3. Leaky coverage on special teams that regularly cost us field position and yardage.
There's no way you can overcome a major flaw in each of the three main phases of the game and win a championship. Or even a conference title. And so we didn't.
Thus: I have no regrets about missing the playoffs, as a result. It would have played out in a familiar fashion - just like the regular season.
By contrast - 2006 was disappointing because it was so hard to say what exactly had gone so awfully wrong. And at least we didn't show a mercurial ability to lose or fail - it was entirely predictable and attributable.
There is also hope for the future - as these three flaws can be rectified and restore our championship credentials. Will they? Ah - that's a different question altogether!
Acerinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

IMO it was an upsetting year, there were times when they were on fire and then there were times they we're completely unorganized. The Steelers had there ups and downs, like every team in the NFL. As I always say about love or dating, you want to know what your strengths and weaknesses are. When ever you get out of a relationship, you want to key in on your weaknesses and you want to work on them and make them stronger and same thing with your strengths, you want to make them stronger... That said, that's what they'll have to do, the Steelers know what they're doing, just give them time to straighten things out. Go Steelers!
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

My final thoughts on the Steelers '09 season?
Big Ben had a pretty darn good year at QB. But he didnt have much help from the RB's until after mid point of the season and it was really Inconsistent... whether it was the offensive line's mistakes of not being able to block or the RB's.. doesnt matter, it needs to be fixed. Our coaches need to make up their minds of whether we are gonna be a pass first team or a run first team. The guys on Sirius Radio was talking abou this the other day and it made a lot of sense to me. The linemen dont know what they need to be ready for and dominant at.. run or pass. The Colts offensive line is the perfect example to me. Manning was sacked like 10 times all year this past season, but they were the Worst Running Team in the NFL, but the offensive linemen knew that they were gonna be passing the ball about 60% of the time.
I just want the Steelers to decide and make a committment to which ever, but I am definitely for the Running Game myself...
Old 01-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

My thoughts are that:

1) The offense kicked ass -- probably right up there with the best we've ever had -- except that it inexplicably checked out at some of the absolute worst times possible

2) The defense was passable but was not aggressive enough, which is why it collapsed under pressure.

3) Also, the defense suffered from injuries and rookie/backup mistakes (counting Gay here, because that's essentially what he was doing)

4) Between the special teams and just plain bad luck, we gave up a lot of improbable touchdowns

Basically, if any one of those things didn't happen, we would've been a playoff team. If most of them didn't happen, we'd be like 14-2. Not only did we underachieve, we were extremely unlucky.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdave1969 View Post
My final thoughts on the Steelers '09 season?
Big Ben had a pretty darn good year at QB. But he didnt have much help from the RB's until after mid point of the season and it was really Inconsistent... whether it was the offensive line's mistakes of not being able to block or the RB's.. doesnt matter, it needs to be fixed. Our coaches need to make up their minds of whether we are gonna be a pass first team or a run first team. The guys on Sirius Radio was talking abou this the other day and it made a lot of sense to me. The linemen dont know what they need to be ready for and dominant at.. run or pass. The Colts offensive line is the perfect example to me. Manning was sacked like 10 times all year this past season, but they were the Worst Running Team in the NFL, but the offensive linemen knew that they were gonna be passing the ball about 60% of the time.
I just want the Steelers to decide and make a committment to which ever, but I am definitely for the Running Game myself...
Now I can read what you're writing

We'll see what Mr. Kugler can do with the OL, I expect them to improve the run blocking, we have to run effectively when needed. Of course the playcalling and situational football have to improve as well. IMHO in offense are just a few things to fix.

My real concern is on the defensive side of the ball, the age and lack of depth are hurting us badly, specially the secondary unit, we'll see how the FO and CS solve those issues.
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
steel9guy
Banned

Member Number: 8688

Bruce Arians hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
steel9guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

This was as disappointing a season as I can remember. 20 of 22 starters returning (plus mcfadden wasn't always a starter and I consider Wallace significantly better than Washington). I thought they would come out and demolish everyone with the schedule they had.. 14-2 or something like that. Didn't think they'd have a superbowl hangover after learning from it in '06.

First half of the season.. Troy goes down.. and right away I felt uneasy about things. Chicago game.. reed misses two field goals and the bears drive down for the winning field goal. Cincy.. Sweed drops the TD pass and the bungles score with 14 seconds left.. Went on a bit of a hot streak after that, Troy was back, and I felt like we couldn't be stopped after that Denver game.. Next cincy game, troy goes down again, we allow ANOTHER return for a TD... Kansas City game.. we were in field goal range in OT and arians calls a sweep that goes for a loss, and we know the rest. Baltimore.. Dixon throws the pick in OT.. Oakland *pukes* .. Cleveland *pukes* *

*sigh* ... soooo many missed opportunities. would have never thought I'd be watching the playoffs without my steelers in it.

I know we're gonna rebound strong. But 2010 just seems like it's an eternity away
Old 01-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

9-7 record should be proof to people that stats aren't everything...
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

My verdict? They were 9-7, and didn't make the playoffs. There were some good moments, some bad ones, but overall it was a dissapointing season.

I wish Troy hadn't got hurt in the season opener.

Because who knows where this season might have gone if we never blocked that damn field goal!